Quark Mini question

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Quark MiniX and to me, my Mini S2 seems brighter.

28042011283.jpg

The one on the left is the X while the one on the right is the S2. Is something wrong? Sorry I'm new to torches (so damn addictive though, driving me broke) so maybe I'm missing something.

Lightman2

Enlightened
So the MiniX is a 123 cell but what is the Mini S2 (a 123 also? from 47's) Sorry don't know alot like others here do but from what I do know the XML in the MiniX puts out more lumens but not more lux. The XML being bigger in diameter does not have enough of a large reflector to catch all that light where as the S2 does meaning that the X will not have as concentrated beam however with your shots being so close up this does certainly seem odd indeed. I would hang around and see what others say and then get in touch with whoever you bought it from but my opinion is something's wrong.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, both running CR123, both are regulated. I've swap batteries around just incase, but no help. This is with both torches same height (both in one hand, phone in other) I think it was about half a meter above ground. I understand that it's not as focused, but still, at that distance, you'ld expect the MiniX to wipe the floor with the S2.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Exactly something wrong indeed and I would notify the retailer about this if you bought it from a shop/store front or at least email 47's and show them the pics so they can give you a reply.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, well I contacted them, and this is what I got
Thank you for your reply and photo. The XM-L LED, while it should have the same output on average, the beam profile and thus the intensity of the hot spot will be different and be perceived differently by our eyes. Output of the light includes all of the usable light that is produced, but intensity of the hot spot depends on how the light is focused. Because the XM-L is a larger LED the light will be more distributed and therefore not have as focused a hot spot or as intense a beam profile as an Mini S2.

From your picture the output does not seem to be inadequate. However, if you are not satisfied with the light we would be willing to take it back in new condition for a refund. We would simply need to issue an RMA number for its return and would credit you once it arrives and is processed. Please let us know how you wish to proceed. Thank you very much.

While I understand that the bot spot is not as focused, I'm still confused about how so much light is lost. I mean if the hot spot was more spread out, but the circular area around it was brighter then I understand, but as you can see from the picture, it isn't, the S2 easily matches it on mid mode. The only thing I can think of is half the light is being sent 90° to the torch direction, that or it's sending light backwards into the battery compartment.... I guess I have to send it back, at my own expense....

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is definately something wrong there, it would be good if you could take current measurements to see if it's a driver issue.

carrot

Flashaholic
Three words:
Ceiling bounce test.

That'll rule out for sure whether it's your eyes deceiving you or if the MiNiX isn't putting out more lumens.

Lightman2

Enlightened
Still think it is a problem with the light. I would send it back and get a new one from them or another retailer. I have a Mini 123 and are quite happy with it overall and love the amount of light it puts out, pretty impressive.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xm-l is twice the size, so the center hot spot will be markedly less intense.
A ceiling bounce favors throw lights.

carrot

Flashaholic
The xm-l is twice the size, so the center hot spot will be markedly less intense.
A ceiling bounce favors throw lights.

How so? If you light the ceiling and look at the floor you are essentially using your room as a huge integrating sphere.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should expand on my statement. If you place the flashlight directly in front of you and use that frame of reference to determine brightness, then yes ceiling bounce favors throwers.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
I've sent it out already, so I can't take any photo's, but I did do something similar, that is placed it on the table, and have it shine on the ceiling and bounce, but compare to my S2, there's still a huge difference. Funny thing is I did do some research before I actually made my purchase, and people have said it's brighter than the Mini 123. Sigh, well, nothing I can really do about it I guess, just lose out on the $2 credit charge on purchase, and $7 on postage back to the company.... +$5 I stupidly paid extra for tracking option thing when they posted it to me....

Here's the photo's I took before, I'm not at home currently, so I don't have S2 comparison shots, but I did take one with a 3x C 12 LED super market torch. Again, off my phone, so I did set ISO to MED but that was about all I could do.
06052011290.jpg
06052011287.jpg

MiniX and 12 LED.

Last edited:

silentlurker

Newly Enlightened
I had a Mini123 that had a dull, green beam. The light also had a physical defect, so I RMA'd it. The new one was nice and bright white like yours. It's possible the X was just bad. A ceiling bounce test, though, is no a picture of shining the flashlight on the ceiling. What you should do is shine the light on the ceiling, but then photograph something closer to the floor. The idea is that you'll capture the light that bounces around the room. This will capture the amount of light coming out of the LED and will negate the effects of focus and intensity.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
The XM-L on the left is possibly on medium; I guess you have double checked?

Definetly on Turbo mode. Or the highest of the 3 main modes.

@Silent
Yeah, I didn't know what a Ceiling bounce test is. So I tested it in a small room (being laundry) with it on the floor and on a table. Either way, the 12 LED $10 torch was better at lighting up the whole room. I also tried pointing the torch towards me and having the bounced light guide me through a walkway (middle of the night) and S2 was definetly brighter. Same shirt too (grey though) so I don't know how a Ceiling bounce test would show the X as brighter.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread. Just thought I might tell you guys the result.

The Quark MiniX 123 returned to us has been found to be producing output lower than normal. We have refunded the item on your order. Transaction details are below.

Return shipping is the responsibility of the customer but all shipping to you as well as dianostic and repair fees we pay for. We would be happy to test the next mini X for you if you would like to reorder.

So the light was faulty. And while 4Sevens Customer Service and Quality is great.... Charging me for sending back a faulty product is.....

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Excellent Chaos ....... good feedback and seeing you have it all sorted now. Enjoy the new light. I love my Mini 123 but got caught out as I thought I bought the 135 lumen for 2 hrs but was sent (or ordered) the 189 lumens for 1.2 hrs. Sort of confusing as the websiet says for the 123 R5 it is 189 lumens for 1.2 hrs but my order says I got a 123 S2 which is the one rated at 135 lumens for 2 hrs. Anyway the one I have I like very much and will probably buy another.

Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread. Just thought I might tell you guys the result.

So the light was faulty. And why 4Sevens Customer Service and Quality is great.... Charging me for sending back a faulty product is.....

Latest posts