Still digging your H51?

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
These seemed so cool when they first came out but I never got one. I decided to wait for the warm version...and then lost interest.

Now I need to get my dad a present and was wondering if the H51 can still hold it's own. Is it still an impressive light / good value, etc.

If not, what do you suggest for $70

Thanks,
Dave

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my H51w. It's the only light I EDC. Yes, it holds its own and much more. The efficient circuit combined with the XP-G emitter to get 200lms from an Eneloop is still an unbeatable record. I have not come across a more versatile and EDC friendly light than my H51w/H501.

Let me illustrate what I am talking about. Worn around my neck, it's hidden behind the shirt when not being used and stays in front of the shirt when being used. I don't know of any other headlamp/light that can be carried and used this way. Why is being able to carry and use my headlamp/light this way important? Because:

1. My light is with me at all times and ready for any situation at a moment's notice.

2. It works as a hand-free light without having a light on my head, which means being more discreet less dorky around other people.

3. It can go from neck lamp to headlamp to flashlight in less than 5 seconds by adjusting the length of the lanyard/headband.

IMG_6583.jpg

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
imo it does more then hold its own, it leads the pack.
i have been looking at single cell AA lights for myself lately,
and the H51 is the brightest one i could find at 200lm.
the h51w runs at 172lm, which is also te brightest warm light
i know of that runs on a single AA.

pretty amazing imo, im definetly getting one.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super Dave, davidt1, DaveyJones...

What are the odds that a thread exists and every poster (until I ruined it) is named David?

--flatline

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I just tried to order one from Goinggear and they are out of stock. Any other good vendors that you guys would suggest? If this violates forum rules please private mail me. Thanks, Dave

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure I am.....

It's the handiest and dandiest illumination device you've ever seen, and don't you want to know how it works!?

Well first you get a not so ordinary AA battery, you place the not so ordinary AA battery in the patented tube and replace the cap!

Then, you reach for that tool, that's not a slicer, it's not a dicer, it's not a chopper in a hopper....

What the hell can it possibly be..?!

It's the Sledge-o....

Oh,oh wait, that's right, it's just the handiest and dandiest flashlight I've ever seen!

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
I love it also. Beautiful white light.

Am a Fenix Fan but now a Zebra convert.

ark19

Newly Enlightened
Just switched from a Sunwayman C10A to Zebralight H51, the H51 is much brighter and I like the "L-torch" design :)
Would be better if....
1. the anodizing is improved. It's pretty thin.
2. the clip is stainless steel.
3. Colour filters can be used.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just switched from a Sunwayman C10A to Zebralight H51, the H51 is much brighter and I like the "L-torch" design :)
Would be better if....
1. the anodizing is improved. It's pretty thin.
2. the clip is stainless steel.
3. Colour filters can be used.

Welcome to CPF!!!

The clip is tougher than it looks. I have also suggested that they replace the clip with a stainless steel out of fear that it might rust because my light touches my skin and sweat all the time. Other than that I don't think a stainless steel clip would be any stronger. I tried to drill a keyring hole, but couldn't. I was able to drill through the stainless steel clip below it easily.
IMG_7721R.jpg

As for the filters, check the "Zebralight Mods" for some ideas. They are cheap and easy to make. I made a bunch and EDC a red and orange for use as safety/rescue signals.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an h51 but prefer the h31

In general I'm not an AA guy.

18650s pack so much more energy density.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah it's weird how much bigger the 51 is vs the 31
I got the 51 for my GF but she liked the form factor of the 31. So I gave it to her with a charger n some AW16340s.

The runtime on high is just so short u really have to be careful n pack extra batts.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I wouldnt say its weird at all. ZL tries to make them as small as possible so its all just based on the size of the cell. AA's are a little longer so ZL had to make the 51's a little longer...

As far as still digging them... I'm pretty new here have they really been out that long? But yeah, I'm totally digging mine. I still dont see any other light that can top the output on 1xAA Nimh, and several other aspects about the light make it still the best all around edc for my needs. I think it will only be topped when the XML versions finally come out...
:thumbsup:

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
I ordered my first Zebralight H51W from Tod at Illumination Gear and must say I am very pleased with the quick shipping and the light itself. I also want to thank davidt1 for his countless photos of his Zebralight mods. I am in my vacation right now in Japan. Luckily, I got the light before departing and setup the light with a lanyard and a strap like davidt1's photo above.

The warm tint is quite nice and the size of the light is smaller than what I perceived. My first test of the light came when I had to write the custom declaration report for foreigners to Japan. The L1 mode was just right while not disturbing the passengers next to me. The hotspot is not that bad in terms of blinding your night vision. It was funny to observe two flight attendants letting me know about the seat's overhead light. When one of them turned it on, it was more blinding and too bright for passengers around me. Flight was all nighter so I was accustomed to the darker vision. The L1 was the best mode in this situation.

My next test was the L2 mode when going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and observe my 2 year old if she had her blanket on top of her in the house. L2 was good. The M1/M2 was handy for checking things inside bags and things inside the house; H1/H2 for outside garden. When turned off, it's next to my hot cup of green tea ocha.

I also own Surefire E1B and G2XPRO and Fenix LD01. For my EDC needs the H51W is the way to go. The warm neutral tint is very pleasing and the flood is more than enough coming out of an AA battery. I am very pleased! If you never owned one yet, I highly recommend this light. Make sure to use a lanyard and a strap like davidt1. This makes it a great EDC light. Before I forget, you can also twist the battery cap just half way to prevent the light from turning on inside your pocket/bag or your small children trying to play with it. I was hesitant in the beginning about Made in China products, but now I believe that not all of them are in this category. Zebralight - Please continue your innovation, quality, and customer service! I am impressed!

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
miyagi,

It's great that you get to use your new ZL light right away. It's even better that you used it as a travel light. A hand-free light is ideal for so many tasks associated with traveling. And with a simple lanyard headband mod you were able to EDC your ZL headlamp everywhere you go. You have provided a real-world example of a ZL headlamp used as a compact all-in-one, hand-free light. You not only used it on your travel but around the house as well.

It's always great to hear from another person who finds this light as useful and as versatile as I have.

Enjoy your vacation and your new light.

Last edited:

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
Thank you davidt1. Although I don't post too much here, I have been visiting and reading a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to take photos and show your mods. It makes it more fun than people complaining about why the light mode turns to high on the first click when I think it's a great mode for a quick high or a low by a longer click. It's a great little light which I enjoy most. I hope others will get a chance to check the light. I am going to recommend for mom's and pop's with their new borns. Great gifts as I have wondered why babies' store only carry those tap round light which eats up batteries quickly and not versatile as Zebralight's headlamps. Your lanyard and strap technique did it for me. Thank you!