Fenix PD31 or similar

mrbladedude

Newly Enlightened
Hi. First post here. Names Bryan. Question for you all.

Im looking for a Fenix PD31. I like the size, Lumen output and the pocket clip. I also like the price. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get one? They seem to be out of stock and no longer being made.

Anything similar to that from Fenix or even a different manufacturer?

Which batteries should I be looking for? I want a great throw with a relatively long battery life.

cr123?
18650?

Thank you

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately the PD31 was a special edition for 2010 and so therefore was available only in a limited run.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a Nitecore IFE2?
wont throw as well as the fenix, but has a control ring. hehe

if you want great throw, lights with larger heads will usually do better.
maybe check out...
surefire LX2
surefire E2DL
armytek predator
4sevens quark 123-2 Turbo
4sevens G5

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650 will give you longer runtime.
Something with a little larger bezel will get more throw than the PD31.
The pd30 and pd31 were great throwers for there size do to the smooth reflector (which also causes a donut whole beam)
Thrunite Neutron 2C is a little brighter but floodier option only takes 2 cr123 though.

Zebralight makes a compact 18650, and so is the shiningbeam S mini.

Take a good, hard look at the S-Mini II. Deliveres about 350 OTF lumens.

Comes in cool white (snow white tint), and neutral white (vanilla tint...about 4000K if you want to get technical).

Powered by your choice of: 2x123 primaries, or 1x18650 li-ion, or 1x17650 li-ion.

Same size as the PD31, but lighter weight: it won't cause your pocket to look geeky.

There are several open threads discussing this light; use the search feature, read up on it, and see if it's right for you.

Finally, it costs less than the PD31 and its cousins.

You won't be disappointed with this one.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
my vote's for Quark 123^2 Turbo X. Might be the best implementation of the XML T6 with the larger reflector for better throw and spill. 400+ lumens, not bad, plus its Lego-able with other quark bodies so the choice of power source is much greater. (AA's, 123's, 18650's)

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I think you should go for the Armytek Predator, I've been using mine for a bit and I love its programmability and it throws very well, also has a nice smooth beam even with the huge smooth reflector. Pocketable (sort of) and has selectable regulation for cr123 and 18650. Just a note though, I believe ledtorches.com.au has the PD31 in stock for $81 (free shipping in Aus), but obviously you'd have to pay for international shipping if that is the case.

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Predator and the PD31. The PD31 has some throw, but compared to the Predator it hardly seems like it. In fact, the only similar things about these lights to me are the battery options and emitters. One's much more of a thrower than the other. I'm very happy with both lights, but another thing to keep in mind is the Predator is a bit pricier than some other lights mentioned. Nothing too bad, but it's always hard for me to buy any one item over $100. May not be an issue for you, but just another thing to consider.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I have the PD30 R4, EDC for 2 year, I need to upgrade for brighter and more throw too, I like the size, any suggestion will help.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the PD30? How does that compare to the PD31?
The main differences are:
The PD30 only takes CR123s - may take some RCR123 but is not recommended as it might fry your light.
The PD31 takes CR123s and 18650 - that's why it is wider.

The PD30 has a 10-lumen Low.
The PD31 has a 2-lumen Low - considered handier by most as it's not too bright to use when you want to preserve your night vision.

The PD31 is brighter than the PD30 though the difference in practice isn't remarkable.

I have both, bought the PD31 first and then found the PD30 on sale and couldn't resist. When I need something light and compact, I carry my PD30 otherwise my EDC is my PD31.
Both the PD30 and the PD31 have been discontinued but the PD30 is widely available while the PD31 was a limited run so by now it's nearly impossible to find. Bought another recently but took nearly two weeks to find a place that still had one in stock!
Hope it helps.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PD30 R4, EDC for 2 year, I need to upgrade for brighter and more throw too, I like the size, any suggestion will help.
Check out the following lights:

Fenix (if you don't mind the new side switch): PD32 R5, PD32 S2 Special Edition, or PD32 XM-L T6 Ultimate Edition.
Foursevens: QTL2 XP-G 2 - it won't take 18650 but it will take 17650. Not sure if I got the name right but basically it's their 2xCR123 flashlight, available in the Pro (reverse clicky like the PD30) or Tactical version (Forward clicky).
EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky: check out the XP-G2 R5 version since you want throw.

If you are on a budget and can't find any of the above on sale:
Nitecore MT2C: it's an XP-G R5 but quite throwy for its size as confirmed by Selfbuilt review.