P60 hosts with QTC's

jonesy

Enlightened
I want to make my surefire 6P with a malkoff M60 a bit more usable. 200+ lumens is overkill for me most of the time. Peak is starting to incorporate QTC's into their lights to make them infinitely variable, and I'm curious if anyone knows of an aftermarket solution for P60 hosts.

Any ideas?

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I don't - but I was thinking about doing the same thing with the Valiant Little Twisty!

:thumbsup:- Jas.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Uniq Continuously Variable Tail Cap,..had one, sold it, not sure why??
If you search hard, you may find one.

also:

resistor switches = no fuss & added usability,,:thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
It works in the Peak because their designs use the "battery crusher" battery tube style. On P60-based lights they use a dual-spring system that suspends the batteries between two springs. Not saying it can't work, but it probably won't be as simple as you're hoping.

JA(me)S

Enlightened
It works in the Peak because their designs use the "battery crusher" battery tube style. On P60-based lights they use a dual-spring system that suspends the batteries between two springs. Not saying it can't work, but it probably won't be as simple as you're hoping.
Is this true for the Little Twisty too?

- Jas.

carrot

Flashaholic
Is this true for the Little Twisty too?

- Jas.
I am almost certain of it but I haven't seen the Little Twisty in person. I have the VME head, though, and looking at it, it looks like the Little Twisty would turn on and off by breaking contact with the brass part of the light engine, and not by disconnecting the battery from the springs.

jonesy

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion, I completely forgot about that uniq tailcap.

Can you elaborate upon the use of resistor switches, and how I could incorporate them into my lights?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had made a thin aluminum ring that sits on the end of the battery tube. You then place three QTCs on this, evenly spaced, and carefully screw a Z41 onto it with a McClicky + brass. You now have an infinitely variable 6P. I used this with a 5 X 7135 driver driving an XM-L. The only issue that I have with this setup is that you can loosen the tail cap too much and the QTCs will move around. I need to figure out how to attach the QTCs to the aluminum ring so that electrical resistance is not introduced, but, the QTCs won't move. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see it.

jonesy

Enlightened
Please do! I'd love to see how you managed to put that together.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Its funny....I was hust thinking how much I would love a p60 host with an infinite adjust wheel. Sounds like may not be possible from what I'm reading here?

The Uniq wont work with high power drop ins so no use to me.

Are you out there Moddoo? I know if its possible you'll know how.

jonesy

Enlightened
Its funny....I was hust thinking how much I would love a p60 host with an infinite adjust wheel. Sounds like may not be possible from what I'm reading here?

The Uniq wont work with high power drop ins so no use to me.

Are you out there Moddoo? I know if its possible you'll know how.

I fully agree. I don't see why just the little lights should get all the fun. I can just imagine the runtime now on low. In a perfect world overready or moddoo would be able to offer such an awesome product. :popcorn:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fully agree. I don't see why just the little lights should get all the fun. I can just imagine the runtime now on low. In a perfect world overready or moddoo would be able to offer such an awesome product. :popcorn:

If I remember correctly (someone will correct me if I don't!!), the QTC low will not have the runtime benefits that you'd expect. There is some fancy sciency-answer as to why that was very much over my head.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might work on the malkoff md2. The old model with no tailcap. Remove the kroll switch and use a maglite 2xaa tailcap with QTC ( qtc mounted on a tower) instead of the spring. The mag tailcap is hollow so it's easy to thread it and use a pinbolt and a locking nut for a "ajustable tower". Twisting the mag tail cap would adjust brightness and twist the head will turn it on off :)

The old version of the Malkoff little twisty got a 2 piece battery tube (the knurled version). I guess it's possible to add qtc in the tail, and use the ajustable battery tube to add pressure on the qtc. The head must be very well tightned if this shall work at all. I really want to buy some qtc now, to find out :)

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fellas,

I've been playing with these for a while.

There are some prototypes here that may or may not evolve into a salable product.

For the DIY modder, the sky is the limit with these things.
The price, simplicity, and each users tolerance of how perfectly (or not) the mod works, makes it attractive.

For a company to offer a solid reliable setup that operates seamlessly, things get a bit more tricky.
Still working on a few ideas.
We appreciate you guys thinking of us.

>>off to the hardcoat shop :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just tryin to keep you busy! LOL

(OT: Love the looks of that GITD coated Z2)