Anyone else feel guilty about using a "cheap" light?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got plenty of cool lights, and some are really expensive if you pay retail for them. I found myself grabbing my old G2 the other day when heading out. This model does not even have a LOTC. I chose it over an A2L. Then I felt guilty about it. What is wrong with me?!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like shelf queens, and I try to keep my light collection to those that have a purpose, even if that purpose is a bit of a stretch. I've got some cheap lights, and if I think something might get dinged, droped, or lent... I bring one of those. I don't even consider myself a collector, but I have a Pentagon X2 unopened in the package. I feel a tad guilty about that one, but honestly, i just haven't gotten around to getting a Malkof 61WLLdrop in for it yet.

nbp

Flashaholic
I think the average non-flashaholic person would think that it's crazy that you consider a G2 a "cheap" light. At 35 dollars its more expensive than most people's entire household flashlight expenditures, and even in it's stock form, at 60 lms it's brighter than 95% of the population's flashlights. So while for us, it is "cheap", light on features, and has a moderately "low" output, I don't think you need to feel guilty using it. It's still a pretty good light.

redaudi

Newly Enlightened
not at all. because this way i don't have to feel bad about beating the everliving hell out of it. :)

i use a nebo luma35 all the time, and don't have to worry about beating it to death, because it's simple, and it's 10 bux once i wreck the crap out of it, lol

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't consider the G2 a "cheap" light and I am not sure why you would feel guilty about using it.The G2 is a great light even with the stock lamp!

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I have a $20 LED Lenser H7 clone from DX - it does everything I want - single-lever brightness control - wide-to-spot zoom - headlamp.

Has everything I need.

Jackasper

Enlightened
I'm with you guys,why not carry the one that can get dirty or dropped, or lent out when you need to. It's funny you bring it up cause every time I grab my old trusty Scorpion (Streamlight not ThruNite), I feel (just for a split second) like I am letting my other lights down. Christ, whats wrong with ME ...?:shrug::laughing:

Last edited:

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
I've got some cheap lights, and if I think something might get dinged, droped, or lent... I bring one of those.

But shooting at them is a different story...

I'm a cheap SOB so none of my lights are particularly expensive. When I asked for an Eagletac T10C for my Bday @ $35 everyone thought I was crazy. Doesn't matter that it was almost half of retail. Since I got it my mom has borrowed it a dozen times. It's still viewed as expensive.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...like I am letting my other lights down. Christ, whats wrong with ME ...?:shrug::laughing:

You hit the nail on the head!

I do love the P60 beam and it holds up well as the batteries drain.

Thanks fellow photon fiends, I'm on my way to recovery.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy my expensive lights as much as the next guy but I think of them as tools. For the most part, I'm not into shelf queens for the same reason. Around my house and property I often find myself using certain lights for some dirty and rugged purposes where they tend to get banged around. Since I've been a flashlight guy for decades I have plenty of lights kicking around that fit the bill but these days I tend to use a couple of DX Ultrafire 501Bs that have proved themselves to be real workhorses but when I drop one in the engine compartment and it lands on the gravel driveway, I don't worry about it getting dinged.

You know, when I consider the title of this thread I think my feelings may be the inverse. It's when I've put a nice ding in an expensive light because I was using it in a situation where it had a good chance of getting damaged and I kinda' knew that before I started is when I tend to feel guilty.

Last edited:

baragon

Newly Enlightened
I work in a electrical shop and i feel guilty selling cheap ones. I have to tell customers how realy bright a mini mag or worse a solitaire is when i know its as dim a candle compared to the ITP AAA in my pocket that only cost a little more. I sold a 3cell D mag to a security guard today and as my boss was out i showed the customer my new Fenix TK41 and he was shocked not just by the light output but by how much i paid, he said i didnt know they made torches that expensive and i had to tell him that is not expensive realy although it is the most expensive one i have bought.

BennyJ

Newly Enlightened
I usually get lights from relatives for the holiday's, so it is easier and cheaper to use the junk lights they give me for leaving around the house than to burn the batteries on the better lights I carry. So I don't feel bad about using them

Greenmando

Newly Enlightened
I bought a dozen cheap led lights at Costco, 3 for $15. We leave them at all the doors and in the trucks. They only put out 80 lumen but are good enough for most purposes. If we were to loose one no big deal, I was more upset that my wife had loaded a couple up with rechargeable batteries and must have thrown them out at her job. They give her free batteries at work.

We have a few clones that cost $35 each using 18650 cells that we carry and use each day.

ragweed

Enlightened
There are inexpensive quality lights out there that do the job. E01, ITP, E05 come to mind & there are others.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
There's always a place for a "cheap" light in my collection. Quite a few old favorites were less than $10.

Geoff

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was showing my new Olight SR91 Inimidator at the office and someone asked what I paid. I told them to guess. They said $30. I just agreed with them, but made a mental note never to lend them any of my lights except maybe a mini-mag.
Had that Olight out in the desert this weekend and am I happy. I can't wait to use it for our departments night qualifications! LOL!

red_hackle

Enlightened
It's when I've put a nice ding in an expensive light because I was using it in a situation where it had a good chance of getting damaged and I kinda' knew that before I started is when I tend to feel guilty.

+1 :thumbsup:

I consider my lights as tools - albeit very nice ones - and try not to keep any of them as shelf queens. While a few minor dings and scratches add to their character, I treat my lights with great care and wouldn't expose them to unnecessary damage.

As long as I don't have to compromise too much on performance there's nothing wrong with a cheap light for the really heavy duties imho... :candle:

nasc

Newly Enlightened
I didn't feel guilty because I didn't know I was using a "cheap" light until I joined this forum. Now I feel ashamed!!!

Glen

brianwarner983

Newly Enlightened
I didn't feel guilty because I didn't know I was using a "cheap" light until I joined this forum. Now I feel ashamed!!!

Glen

+1
I thought $20 was a lot for a flashlight when I bought my current EDC.
There are tons of cool lights to drool over on this forum, but I still don't see my self spending the kind of money that some on here do.