AW 18650 batteries in Jetbeam M1XM

Craig K

Enlightened
newby question,...I notice you can buy different types of AW 18650 batteries, would AW 18650 Protected 2900mAh batteries fit and work in the Jetbeam M1XM, some AW 18650 batteries have a button on top and some don't does this matter in the Jetbeam M1XM.

Also what is the difference with 2200mAh compared to 2900mAh am I better off going with 2900mAh?

darcyh

Newly Enlightened
Hello:
I have a M1X. It does not like 'flat top' cells. The tip of the cell does not protrude enough to make contact with the + terminal of the light. You can solve the problem and buy a small spacer magnet that will stick to the cell extending the positive terminal or purchase cells that have a button top as opposed to the flat top. This is the only light I have experienced this problem. The flat tops work fine in my Fenix and O light models.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is to go for button top 18650s. The JetBeam M1X and M2S have a metal ring around the positive contact of the LED module as a simple safety measure against reverse polarity (inserting the cells into the tube incorrectly), thus flat top batteries like AW 2600s & 2900s cannot make contact with the positive end that sits inside the metal reverse polarity protection ring.

Going from AW 2200mahs to 2900mahs would not give you a difference in output, but around 30-40mins increase in runtime.

Bad idea about using magnets to make contact. If the magnets are shifted out of position either by vibrations over time or a hard drop or knock, and contacts the battery tube, it will cause an electrical short that can burn out the LED driver or the batteries even if using protected 18650s.

Last edited:

theix

Newly Enlightened
I have Jetbeam M1XM. The positive contact of M1XM is not protruded from the reverse-polarity protection thingy so you will need button-top 18650. AW 18650 2900mAh is flat-top so I believe it won't work but haven't tried tho.

Craig K

Enlightened
Thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it, it looks like I will have to go for the button top 2200mAh cells.

scotto

Newly Enlightened
Great question and even better answers!! I was wondering the same thing, as I have been looking at the 18650's for my tk21 that will be here next week.

Thanks!!

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Old thread back from the dead, but I was looking into getting the Jetbeam branded 2800mAH 18650's. They're also button top and BOG has them for $9 ea