Clear Taillights

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is a local thing in the midwest but have any of you seen the proliferation of the clear taillights? I've seen them on everything possible but mostly on Japanese cars ( usually accompanied with loud coffee-can mufflers, non-painted ground effects and two-story rear spoilers) Does anybody know where this fad started? Just curious...(and don't say the west coast....)

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it all started with the movie "The Fast and the Furious" a few years back. Scratch that--I'd seen 'em years before that, it's just that they weren't as prevalant as they are now.

Hell, I think my older next door neighbor has a jacked up Excursion with low profiles, rims and custom lights...

-Jason

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
It's called "rice", and is popular among Asians. My hypothesis is that since Asians are conservative (as in CHEAP), they want to make their cars "better" by spending a minimal amount of money. This usually leads to gaudy decals, cheap HP upgrades, and marginally tasteful interior upgrades. It makes sense. If you have money, you wouldn't buy a Civic just to "rice" it. You'd just get a BMW.

Yes, I hate them too. And yes, I can say this because I am Chinese. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
They are even putting 'em on pick-ups and SUVs around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey hawk,

I don't know if what you said was a joke....either way it wasn't funny. I don't care if you ARE asian or not.

Dreck was asking a ligitamate question, and you to hypothesise on the grounds of ignorance and stereotypes isn't very funny, wise, nor helpfull for someone seeking information.

I'm Asian and i DO NOT like these Clear Tailights or "Alteza" tailights either. But these "upgrades" are not being bought JUST by Asians. I have seen much interests in other racial circles as well, including the upperclass. I've seen expensive pickup trucks and SUVs with these lights drivin by white, black, and mexican alike. BMW's, VWs, Civics...you name it. It's NOT an ASIAN thing, its preferance by the owner of the vehicle, regardless of color or race.

"Asians are cheap." Okay....show me someone, any race or color, that willingly wants to spend the MOST amount of money on anything. As far as i know, it is an American ideal to find a bargain. It's why we love competition within the marketplace. Now, if you are rich, and have money to spend and absolutly don't care about price...then fine, you can have your BMW and Bentley. But don't single out Asians as cheap when every other race and color are buying these civics, carolas, and Camrys, and looking for a bargain when they want to fix up there car.

Besides HP upgrades are NOT cheap...especially in these true "RICE" cars as you would say. Exhaust systems can run you 400 dollars, Air intake manifolds can cost you 40-200 dollars, pullies, spark plugs, turbo controllers, sensors, and gauges are all typlical things that can be found on a "RICE" car. These people spend a pretty penny to fix up there cars...so i'ts not a cheap hobby. And it most certainly not only an Asian thing.

Now, to the best of my knowledge, "Rice" was a term coined to stereotype modified Asian cars. NOT Asian PEOPLE that fix there cars. For you to say it is popular among asians really sends out the wrong message too. Anyway, it's called rice..well...because rice is a main staple of food for most Asians. They just tagged the name to the cars.

TRUE rice cars (or rice-rockets or pocket-rockets) are actually pretty nice and FAST. A moderately modified asian car can go heads up with your typical BMW anyday. A heavily modified rice car can even hang with Porsches and other supercars.

The ugly ones that you mention, however, are just generally poor design tastes. I think...The clear headlights were made popular from a Toyota car released in Japan called the Alteza, it is better known stateside as the Toyota IS300. Since then, many people have rushed out to copy this design. While it looks GREAT (IMHO) on the IS300 or any other car designed WITH these lights, i think it looks horrible on other cars that try to pull of this same look. There ARE SOME people that spend a hefty amount of money molding there car around these aftermarket lights to make them look decent, and sometimes really inovative and quite edgy.

Clear taillights are more appropriately called Altezza lights, steming from their origin. In general, i think these aftermarket lights are a bad idea if your car wasn't designed for them, but, this is of course a personal choice. Most of these aftermarket lights are POORLY designed too. You can hardly make out the lights when they are braking, reversing, or signaling...especialy in daylight where it's important to see lane changes.

Anyway...however ugly these taillights might be, they are growing in popularity. I THINK the 2002-2003 Ford Lightnings are comming equiped with these type of lights out of the factory. Personally, i think its a bad idea, if i'm gonna smoke someone with my supercharged 5.4L i want them to have a pretty view of my arse.

This has taken me quite some time to compose and i have had time to cool down a bit. I apologize for putting you on the spot, but i have heard your types of remarks TOO many times before on other boards and discussions. I just don't like the connotations that people are taggin on the asian community with the term "Rice car".

It's like when someone is asking to know your culture and language, and all you do is teach them the bad and vulgar words because it's amusing. I had to deal with this a lot during high school, which probably explains why i get a little testy on this subject.

K A

Enlightened
Hmm. I alwasy thought they were 'European' style fixtures. Just stuff to make them feel bigger I guess.

What really annoys me though are the black plastic covers that people put over their taillights and even their headlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I mainly see these on trucks, dont recall seeing any on cars. I cant believe those would even be considered legal as they drastically cut down the brightness of the tail/head lights!

Tomas

Banned
This afternoon I followed a Chevy Blazer with a loud exhaust, an even louder sound system, weird clear taillight lenses, decals, ultra-low-profile tires on rims that looked like chromed stagecoach wheels, dark tinted windows, four-wheel drive, and MAYBE two inches of ground clearance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

It was in the Albertson's parking lot and hung up on one of the speed bumps - and remember that is a 4X4 ...

I do not understand ...
blinkie.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
LOL...looks like someone is a bit biased.

I didn't think I was being racist at all...at worst I was simply pointing out a common stereotype. Some blatant fallacies in your argument.

[ QUOTE ]
"Rice" was a term coined to stereotype modified Asian cars. NOT Asian PEOPLE that fix there cars. For you to say it is popular among asians really sends out the wrong message too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a lot of people other than Asians own Toyota's and Hondas. Except I don't see any of these people "ricing" their cars. Pretty much only Asians do it, with a few exceptions here and there. How is this racist? If it's a close approximation of objective fact, then its no worse than saying "The average income of hispanics are less than whites", or something like that.

You are taking this way too seriously. Stereotypes can have factual basis to them, IF they are based on something tangible, like personal observation. Like I said before, I don't think its really based on race either, more of a sociological or psychological factor. Asians are conservative, they don't want to buy cars that are expensive and have high insurance premiums. Ricing a car is a cheap way to boost the performance of your car without breaking your wallet.

Regardless, I think anyone who does it has pretty bad taste, and is clearly shown by the opinions of other forum members here...

Penguin

Enlightened
My freind has a "fixed up" Eclipse, it's pretty nice. I drove it once, his exhaust system is really loud, and his bucket seats are pretty comfy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Maybe V8ToyotaTruck has seen this around? He lives in Hacienda Heights as well. Heres a link to a picture. here I keep telling him to lose the show rims..

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, he definitly needs to get rid of the rims.
Whats his name?
I never seen his car around. I never heard of his crew Factor 1 either. My friend also has an older Eclipse GS w/XS Engineerings 16G killer kit that he is putting up for sale. His exhaust is also loud (if you could call it that), blow off valve just as loud, subs even louder! He rolls on Volk AV3s and Sparco Torinos.
I am not really following the scene anymore, although my friends are still in it. Not the import shows, but the drag racing. My friend recently bought a Lancer EVO. Kinda pisses me off that Ricers kinda ruin it for the classy imports.

The first time I saw clear tail lights were back in 98. Those people that owned cars that the companies didnt make clear tails for would make their own out of dimpled translucent plastic. The kind that goes over flourescent lights. I never see them anymore because they have been replaced by Euro ''Altezza'' tails.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
At leaset clear lights are nt as bad as those tint things they cover them with. I almost rear ended a car turning in front of me because I couldn't see their lights.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
thankfully the local regulations on modifications to vehicles keep the ricers over here in check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my humble opinion, the clear-cover thing is just a fashon fad.

But aside from the clear-or-yellow cover, in my actual experience, it's harmfully idiotic to leave a white bulb for a turn signal beneath a clear cover. Sometimes it's blindingly bright, sometimes too dim, always frustratingly inappropriate.

I have a similar really strong objection to companies putting turn signals behind the same red lexan used for the brake lights. It takes too long to figure out what the car's going to do.

I don't know why we can't standardize on the following:

White = to brighten the path of travel, whether forward or backward.
Red = brake light
Yellow = turn (directional) signal and hazard

And I agree with Eugene that those tint covers over front or rear lights are a hazard. Same goes for those stupid wavy-covers such as usually over RAM truck taillights. Obscuring your lights & markers should ALWAYS be illegal. It's an accident waiting to happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

JackBlades

Enlightened
Let's go the other way for a minute.....last night I saw an SUV jacked up with at least 12" lift, blue powder-coated suspension pieces (Pro-Fab? )and FOUR shocks at each corner. HUGE **** Cepek mud tires on chrome rims........

What, you ask, made this unusual?

It was a $50,000+ CADILLAC ESCALADE!

puke.gif

Unbelievable what some people with more dollars than sense will do to a nice vehicle.....you just know those tires will never see anything dirtier than Armor-All.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
hawk and All,

How we, individually, perceive such modifications is our own individual taste, but the roots of the different modification styles -- in slang, this includes such terms as "G'ed up," "Riced," "Slammed," etc., all to describe different categories of modification -- are as much cultural in execution as they are in terms of our appreciatiion of their "beauty."

What you may view as a horrible thing done to a good car is easily seen by those within their sub-culture to a wonderful thing done to a barely adequate starting platform, be it a Honda or Nissan, or a Mercedes or even Ferrari.

It's akin to some of the African tribes lip expansion with disks or our "Western" culture of "tall and Blonde" as the epitome of "beauty."

We each have our different standards, and what's ideal and revered in one may be less so, or even found repugnant, in others.

Please do not let your own personal biases un-do your appreciation for these machines as both rolling art or as performance pieces (in more than one way -- some are meant to tackle straight-line quarter-mile times, others in terms of sound system output, and yet others in how high they can hop or how many body panels can individually spin and "dance").

And hawk, honestly, there is not a predominance of Asians involved in this type of modification or upgrade to their automobiles. The situation you report might be true in your neck of the woods, but nationally and internationally, just as many Hispanics, African-Americans, and even "White-Bread" good'ol-boys have crossed over, some coming from either competitive sport-racing or even traditional hot-rodding. For example, locally here in Cleveland, Ohio, the majority of "Club DSM" (Diamond Star Motors, dedicated to Chrysler-Mitsubishi sporting autos such as the Eclipse/Talon/Laser), back when I was active in the late 90's, showed an *_easy_* predominance of Caucasians.

In Europe, for example, "Hot Hatch" fever has caught on enough that even Mercedes Benz and BMW have started to manufacture smaller cars, dimensionally, than what we see in the US as their smallest models -- and these have often been the basis for modification to make them Autobahn stormers that even the fastest factory Porsches and Audi's quake to see in their rearview mirrors.

It's a worldwide trend currently in automobile upgrades and modifications, and specialty industry shows such as SEMA and even the hobbyist magazines, over the last half-decade or so, have gone from literally grassroots levels to a multi-million dollar business. It's much, much beyond a "fad," and this is even reflected in the dedication of specialty television coverage worldwide, including here in American, of racing events that are linked to these types of automobiles in both sport-touring as well as drag-racing, which have spawned a new breed of professional drivers and technicians.

As for the clear tail lights, they are indeed a combination Japanese/European influence -- popularized more recently (remember, nothing is new under the sun!) by certain Japanese makes in particular, they've become a favorite due to their ability to allow for intricate internal cosmetic and functional details to show through within the lighting unit.

Influences extended by this popular modification and the discovery of its beauty has carried through to almost every car make, including Porsche, BMW, Infinity, Lexus, etc., and is not only seen with tail-light units, but can also be seen in highly decorative yet also highly functional headlight and ancillary (i.e. "driving" and "fog"-light) clusters.

The legalities of these lighting units, especially in terms of the tail-lights, is governed typically here in America by laws which state that the brake light unit as well as rear reflectors must be "red." Certain cosmetic covers which renders the light cluster either completely "white" or "trasparent" in color, using only the actual BULB to emit a red coloration, can thus be in violation of such motor traffic safety laws and be cited. However, units which allow you to see through to visible red and have visible red reflectors, most notably exemplified by say, units found on small sports sedan by Lexus and the RX300 SUV-crossover, are completely legal.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Latest posts