Measuring flood

igoman

Newly Enlightened
I think that so called flood of a flashlight is an important information, so why don't any of the flashlight manufacturers include this information in the characteristics (or do they)?
So, is there a scientific way (in actual numbers) to measure flood like for an example spread of the beam on some constant distance from the flashlight? It would be nice to know that because now someone has to actually buy a flashlight and then give his opinion about the flood of the flashlight compared to some other flashlight. If you dont have one of the comparing flashlights then that still doesn't tell you a whole lot.

Yesterday I was looking at some beam pictures of the Fenix TK41 and TK45. I assume that the TK45 still has more flood than the TK41, but how much more?

Last edited:

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup: I agree with you! That would be a valuable specification. I have a pelican 9410 lantern with excellent side spill/flood, but there are not any spec's that speaks to that from their site. There is a flashlight site that does measure the Lux profile of all lights tested, it's Light-Reviews.com, check it out.

http://www.light-reviews.com/info.html

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
4sevens published hotspot and spill angle measurements for their lights in their 2011 catalog. That seems to be the best measure, along with lux and lumen numbers. Hopefully other manufactures take the cue from them - of course, nothing beats a good beamshot!

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Nice that 4sevens did that:twothumbs. I think others will have to follow sooner or later for the sake of being competitive:poke:. I love that pictures with ANSI data on the flashlight boxes, the more of the pictures the merrier. Its like a candy commercial to me haha.
img30051.jpg

ld40accessories.jpg

Last edited: