Need a 1AA or 2AA Thrower that can throw 130 Meters

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Right below is where I test all my lights when I walk to my car at around 12:30am from the parking garage. The building where the red dot ends is a huge flat wall and my goal is to get a light that can reach it in the format of 1XAA or 2XAA. Standing by the parking lot and shinning it to the end where the wall is putting a nice fat white spot on it. My LD10 on 14505s was unable to reach. I have a feeling it can be done with 1AA or 2AA though. It's very dark there at night and walking to my car it gives me a chance to test my lights.

I measured it with Google Earth and it's about 130 meters. I'd even be happy with 100 Meters. Not really looknig for a purely concentrated aspherical thrower spill would be nice but a hotspot is what I like.

The TK41 probably can blow this away. And maybe possibly the LD40. Before I go into large expensive lights I wanted to know about other options like possibly the Dereelight Javelin or well don't laugh maybe the EagleTac Eagletac P20A2 R2/P100A2? Or any other options. The smaller the size the better. The LD40 uses 4AA which I like but it's large and same story with the TK41. I am trying to avoid large and expensive(if I can possibly) and that is the purpose of this thread.

I know I ask much in my treads but you guys tend to take the challenge and deliver. Thanks again.

206fmyp.jpg

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
My only problem with the Turbo:
Max: 190 lumens for 47 minutes
I had this light for a while, I wish I kept it.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
You are not likely to find anything that actually throws better than the Eagletac torches you mentioned in a 1xaa or 2xaa format, unless you buy something that has an option of an oversized head. There are other lights that have higher overall output but just will not throw as far. The Eagletacs are nice, quality torches, why would anyone laugh?

EDIT: This link might be helpful for you. The lux rating on this list is of the hot spot. The R2 version of the P20A2 has the best lux rating of the 2xaa and 1xaa torches on the list.
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews_aa.html

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I just got the P20A2 Mark 1 from that website.
Is the P100A2 shorter? I might pick on of those up as well.
Thanks guys!

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only problem with the Turbo:
Max: 190 lumens for 47 minutes
I had this light for a while, I wish I kept it.

Is this a typo? The runtime should be about the same as the Quark AA2, it just has a larger reflector to increase throw. OK I checked the site and its also saying runtime like that for Quark AA S2. Whats up with these low runtimes? Cause mine def runs more than an hour on turbo.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Is this a typo? The runtime should be about the same as the Quark AA2, it just has a larger reflector to increase throw. OK I checked the site and its also saying runtime like that for Quark AA S2. Whats up with these low runtimes? Cause mine def runs more than an hour on turbo.

ANSI, people. Measurements are made with the batteries provided by the manufacturer (if any), which are alkaline in this case. Thus the low runtime.

I'd say the Quark turbo AA2 is the best bet if the AA form factor is desired. A light powered by cr123 or 18650 and with a larger reflector will do the job better, for sure: for example, the 4sevens G5, Dereelight DBS, Eagletac T20C2, Fenix TK15 (or TK21 when released) - with only a modest increase in size and weight - but probably isn't necessary in this case. A large and expensive light like the TK40 definitely isn't needed to reach a distance like this.

Lightman2

Enlightened
P100A2 = 155mm and the P20A2 MKII = 162mm. From my understanding the Eagletac's would be the only ones without a turbo head keeping in mind that typically the larger the head the more light captured and reflected. A deep set reflector can also do the same.

Last edited:

JCup

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix E21 (2xAA) has a pretty tight beam, and is claimed to have a 134 M beam reach (ANSI Fl1). It's the best throwing 2xAA I have seen, and a terrific bargain at $35 shipped. It's pretty close to the throw from my Surefire 9P (with Malkoff M60).

I am amazed by the output from the new and relatively inexpensive AA based lights. The Jetbeam BA20 is very nice, too. It has more output, and a somewhat wider beam pattern. In flashaholic mode, I could not decide, so I got both. Even after handling them, it would be a hard choice between these two. Glad they were not expensive.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
One thing to always watch out for is the claimed reach on lights. The Quark Turbo is claimed to reach 156 meters but I can say from experience that his is somewhat of a stretch.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac P100A2 period.
I got mine for under $40. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the specs Jack.

And guys, I did find and purchase the P20A2 R2 Mark1 Version.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-153-6722

I'm not done though.:)
I think I want to try that P100A2...
Look what this forum is doing to me :p

They have it on the list there so I ordered it hopefully it's actually stock, if for whatever reason it's not then the P100A2 is next.

I had the @AA S2 Turbo for a short period. For whatever reason I kept using my 2AA Energizer Lithium E2 over it. Then I sold it the Quark. I think I sold it because it had somewhat of a greenish tint. I had a Quark Turbo 2X CR123 too but left all battery formats for the AA. It's just simpler. Out of curiosity what is the LUX compared to the P20A2 on the Quark Turbo AA2?

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you found something, sometimes people get dizzy spending hours looking at different lights and dealer webpages and still don't pull the trigger for fear that want like something. The truth is as you may know you can't decide if you like it until you personally try it or try enough lights that you kind of know what to expect.

You mentioned in a way already getting addicted well wait until you get into cr123 or 18650 lights. :)

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I was one of those people right now. I didn't pull the trigger because I figured I'd find something better but I had to this time. I still want to try the P100A2 but it seems the P20A2 is all around better judging by: http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews_aa.html

I did get into those and had myself some AW18650s as of a few January I stick to AA for simplicity(and a happier wallet). JHC You're absolutely right though. I find myself trying lights like trying on clothes. Hopefully the Eagltac will satisfy me and give me my piece of mind.

-Quark Turbo 2XCR123 as well as the 2XAA
-Lumintop TD-15X
-Fenix PD-31
-Surefire G2X

I am also an Urban Explore these lights really mean allot to me. The Energizer Lithium 2AA had the perfect flood/throw balance for me and it changed my mind set to find a better light in 1AA format for EDC(smaller size more flood/throw). I was unable to find a better light in 1AA and gave up after my I got my LD10(wish I gave the L1A a chance). So since 2AA is easier to challenge my Energizer I think I did find an all around better light and hopefully it's the Eagletac P20A2 Mark 1 R2. It's to big to EDC so I use my LD10 on 14505s for that.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was one of those people right now. [/B

I was to I guess it comes with the territory, the P20 is a great light I'm sure you will like it. If you ever decide to try a new 1xAA and want good throw look at the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro if yon can find it with the XR-E R2, I have one and it's the best thrower I have in 1xAA and it still has some good spill.

Jackasper

Enlightened
Good advice JHC, I like your style. The Jet I Pro is hard to beat, agreed. Animalmother, I think we have similar taste. I too gave away my Quark S2 (to my brother) for the same reason. Don't give up yet on the 1 AA. I found a screamer in the Lumapower Trust Model 1. For $40 it RIPS on a 14500 and it fits great in the pocket.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys know if the EagleTac P20A2 R2 Mark 1 is rated 230 OTF or Emitter?

My next light will be the: EagleTac P100A2 LED Flashlight Cree XP-E R2
I think.

Anyone have both? How do they compare?
Can the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro throw 130 meters? Use 14505/14500 batteries?
Where can I find the R2 version? I am going to look into it, although it's a bit pricey right now for me.

Thanks again guys.