Cant decide between SC50 or SC50w...

mparker

Newly Enlightened
The neutral colored light output looks nice, more "flashlight" like... but you lose the LED wow factor...

Anyhow maybe some of you that have owned both can help me choose, and tell me things to consider...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I seem to be slowly making the turn away from cool tinted lights. I'm very happy with the SC50w. And, it seems plenty bright enough. I've not missed the extra output.

Geoff

yowzer

Enlightened
Neutral tint (Or wait for the SC51 high cri) all the way. The difference in lumens isn't really noticeable. The better tint is.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
i dig the W....much easier on the eyes at night and you can actually see further especially if you are shining it into the woods or something.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the true high CRI lights you can take quite a hit in lumens, with these neutral tints such as in the Zebra SC50w the lumens drop is really a non-issue. If you want WOW, just light up a LED from a few years ago and them light up the SC50w... it will knock your socks off how ugly the light is from the older one. Our vision is just very adapable, and our brain is easily able to adjust to changes in color temperature for color correction since it does it continuously every day even for sunlight, but it can't put back information it does not receive and you'll be quite impressed with addtional detail you should be able to notice.

So.... SC50w ALL THE WAY!

....well unless maybe your favorite activity is winter camping in snow caves.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Honestly, most people won't be wowed either way. Get the tint YOU will be happy with and use.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I have several Zebralights. The two that are a real knockout are the SC60W. and his little brother the SC30W. The 'W'. tint is magnificent on both of these lights and they carry easily; the SC30W. is just a whisker longer than Q's mini. which is a twisty and the SC 60W. at less than 4" has to be one of the smallest 18650 cell lights around. Even Shiningbeam's S-mini comes in at 4.5".

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't notice the difference in output. Besides, even at lower output, the warm/neutral tints seem to light up more visibly. The cool tints make everything look ghostly and you lose a lot of contrast. Cool tints are just......ewww. Like blue vomit.

chicken dave

Newly Enlightened
Can't believe no one's said it yet: Get both of them. Really, the only way to determine tint preference is to try them. Since my first warm tint, I won't buy anything else, no matter how impressive the rest of the light is. My EDC is the SC50w, and I love it. I find the warm tint much more useful than the additional lumens of the same light in cool.

So, buy them both, and sell or give away the one you don't like.

mparker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone... I placed an order for the SC50W (AA size) I hope to get it soon as i will be traveling and wish to take it with me...

If they had a distributer local to me i would have defiantly considered purchasing two...

as far as waiting for the "c" model... On paper it doesn't look that great of a light, imo... Lower lumens, no Li Ion support, more expensive...

You cant beat $49 for a light that gets rave reviews...

I cant wait to get it...

and I also cant wait to toss a 14500 in it!!! :eek: almost 200 Lm from a single cell light... WOW!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
"On paper" are the operative words. You'll never understand until you actually use a High CRI light. I wouldn't take two of the regular lights for a High CRI.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would highly recommend that you get the SC51c. If for some very strange reason you don't like, you'll be able to trade it for a SC51w in a second on the MP.