What sort of keychain do you use?

Interlude

Newly Enlightened
Between 5 keys, a big car key, a Leatherman micro, an Arc-AAA, an X2 glowring and a Lexar USB Jumpdrive, my standard double-metal-loopie-thing keychain is becoming positively janitor-like (no offense to the janitors!). What else is out there in terms of keychains besides either fancy-schmancy jewelery-type stuff or no-frills metal loops?

Greta

Flashaholic
I have three different colored SpongeBob Squarepants lanyards. One has the Murano keys on it. Another has my truck keys and the house key and mailbox key. And the other has my leatherman, my Arc AAA, a glowring, all of my little grocery store discount card thingies, the valet key for the Murano and a P-38. I dropped them all into my purse and let the "ribbon" part hang out. Then I just grab the one I need!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just use one of those "lobster claw" clips, and a few metal splitrings attached to the bottom of that. The contraption holds two apartment keys, an Ace key (I forgot what it goes to), a blue Glow Ring, a green Glow Ring, and a couple of hard plastic key fobs. One says "710 KIRO NEWSRADIO" on it; probably from the Mariners home closer last year (they moved to a station I don't pick up this year); the other says "LIVING PROUD" and has the guy-in-a-wheelchair graphic in the center.

The "lobster claw" fits onto a metal ring on the steering arm of my wheelchair; it also fits the hole in the "ignition" key in my alternate steering arm. And it clips onto the finger guard of the steering device I used at the rest home while I was there - but that steering device broke not three minutes after I first drove it into the rest home, so I don't use it anymore. I still have the same keyring though - so that hasn't changed.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I'm different.

I use just a plain jane split ring. It's about an inch in diameter with just six keys and an ARC-AAA (used to be a Photon II).

GregR

zorba

Enlightened
I used for more than ten years a climbing carabiner, but now converted to the swiss army belt clip with six or seven keys and the arc AAA

Tomas

Banned
I keep an eye on my keys ...

keys.jpg

T_sig6.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
SpongeBob Squarepants, Sasha??? I ain't even gonna comment on that one!!!! (picture me with my eyes bulging out, trying to hold back laughter.)

I just use plain old split rings, a chain, and an aluminum carabiner. 3 or 4 key usable as keys, the remainder are for Weapons purposes: 2 rings of keys connected by a chain. Design intent: Weapon. Makes a nice defensive weapon. Also a federal Felony, if you are disabled (as I am).

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a mini gear keeper, 36" spring loaded extending nylon coated steel cable.

fafe7a88.jpg

And just to keep the Spongebob Squarepants fans happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Now wait just a minute here! I think my system is very clever! I was told that one shouldn't have such a heavy keyring because of the damage it can do to the ignition on your vehicle... all the weight pulling down on it. Plus, I am forever having to give over my truck keys or the Murano keys but I need the rest of my stuff... and no one gets my Leatherman or AAA! So I think it's very clever to have them all seperated like that... and who better than SpongeBob? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... And I think it's also very clever to have them all so that I don't have to dig through my purse for them... the ribbons hang out and I can just snag the one I need! Very clever indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If you push on the plunger looking thingy holding the left key ring, the whole thing seperates into two key rings. The ring on the right holds the car key and ARC and the left ring holds house keys (mine and my parents).

keys.jpg

Eric_M

Enlightened
Stainless steel "Twisty":

http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/35193.html

I love this one because the stainless cable is flexible and lets the keys and other items sit a lot better in the pocket. Very easy to open and close, just twist the lock 180 degrees and it's open. I'm going on 15 years now with no signs of wearing out.

Eric

doubleganger

Enlightened
I love this place!

I've been looking at keychain options for a week now. Thanks Eric, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummm..........

biggiantkeychain.jpg

I know, I know.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

But the van key has its own ring with an Arc AAA-PE on, and nothing else. Don`t want to have to get a new ignition switch installed every thousand miles.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Tomas

Banned
... and if the lock won't open, you can always beat it open with your wad of keys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

I especially like the steel rod with the solder blob. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the UltraStinger does that job rather nicely. Yes, I do EDC one of those, between that and the Classic-9N anyways (it needs a new battery so usually runs too short). I`m heavy as it is, I don`t really notice the extra weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

<font color="800080">I especially like the steel rod with the solder blob.</font>

It`s actually an Allen key used to open older fire alarm break-glasses. I was sick of losing them through holes in my pockets or just by leaving them places so attached that one there permanently.

Actually about 95% of what`s on there is used for something in my work or home life. If you`ve got a Tann Synchronome fire alarm system, I`ve probably got a key for it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric-

Have you had problems of the twistie opening up on it's own? I used to carry one because it is flexable compared to a split ring but I stopped because it would open on it's own.

GregR

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a rather pedestrian 1.5" split ring with some 12 keys on them. I think I'll look into a twisty though... I bet it WOULD ride better in my pocket!

And to nice be to my ignition switch, I have a spare key that I mostly just leave in there (or hide if going to be far away from the truck!)