Very small 18650 XM-L mod finished

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, I am waiting for a 18650 based flashlight to make it a mod, I want to put in there a XM-L Led and drive it with 2.8 amp but I am concerned in that it can generate a lot of heat, my question is, with which Led can I get more lumen drive it with 1.4 amp? A XM-L or a XP-G?

If lumen output is the only concern, definitely go with the XM-L. According to the Cree data sheet and the B&L doc's, An XP-G R5 @ 1.4 amps has an output range of 442-470 lumens and draws 4.9 watts. The XM-L T6 @ 1.4 amps has an output range of 515-552 lumens and draws 4.3 watts. That is of course just an extrapolation and a YMMV type of thing. The one thing those numbers don't suggest is the XM-L has twice the surface area of the XP-G. To get more throw, an XM-L requires a larger reflector. Or if your 18650 host has an MOP reflector, the XM-L might win on sheer output.

My others concern is about the runtime...

I was thinking in:

1º drive the XP-G with 1.4 amp
2º drive the XM-L with 1.4 amp
3º drive the XM-L with 2.8 amp

This is the victim

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-tr-801-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-13095

Thanks, feel free to make any comment...

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18650 light mod which Led use XP-G of XM-L ?

There's more to life than lumens. What do you plan on using the light for? Seeing farther, nearer, is it hand-held or on a bike? Hand-held, the heat isn't a problem. You'll swap to a lower mode if it's uncomfortable and find no thermal trouble. But I'll be you a dollar that you can't see the difference between 450 and 520 lumens.

I suggest an XP-G at 1.4A, since the 2.4A won't look much brighter to the eye. I'd say you're looking at 250 to 500 lumens at double current (half the life, double heat). Not worth getting it. It'll look about 30% brighter to the eye since you need 4x lumens to look twice as bright.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's more to life than lumens. What do you plan on using the light for? Seeing farther, nearer, is it hand-held or on a bike? Hand-held, the heat isn't a problem. You'll swap to a lower mode if it's uncomfortable and find no thermal trouble. But I'll be you a dollar that you can't see the difference between 450 and 520 lumens.

I suggest an XP-G at 1.4A, since the 2.4A won't look much brighter to the eye. I'd say you're looking at 250 to 500 lumens at double current (half the life, double heat). Not worth getting it. It'll look about 30% brighter to the eye since you need 4x lumens to look twice as bright.

Thanks, I was thinking used in hand, maybe sometimes in my bike, maybe to avoid over heat used in mediun mode and for some extra light in high for no more than a minute, maybe I will try to make some test before I glued the Led... Yeah, maybe this 30% will be a waste of power that I can use in runtime with the XP-G... Anyway... This 520 lumen would be great... :)

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received the light and 15 minutes later here is the results:

Comparing with a Ultrafire C1

Disarming the light

Testing the reflector

Neutral XML

Driver 2.8 amp

Taking the old Led off and cleaning the heatsink

Scratch the point to make easy the solder

Put a little of solder

Epoxy two parts

Clean the extra glue

It is done, bright and neutral tint

Comparing the size; Ultrafire C1, Trustfire TR-801 and Inova X5

Last edited:

TBell-EDC

Newly Enlightened

I just completed a MOD using the XM-L T6 LED and a 3-mode Regulated Circuit boad (2.8A Max).

The results exceeded my hopes, large hot spot and bright spill. It really lights up where ever I point it. I used to shine a light at a tree @ 100' to check it's throw. I have many lights that I can use to search a tree to see what is in it. Now I can illuminate the whole tree at 100'.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, yes, it is verrrry small...

Mine is more flood because the size of the reflector and because is a OP, but I realy like the flood and neutral light...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

At 1.4A, the XP-G will appear brighter, but, the XM-L will make more light. That's because the XM-L has a bigger die and it's more efficient, so, the result will be a brighter spill with a larger hotspot. By comparison, the XP-G's hotspot will be brighter and smaller in diameter, combined with the dimmer spill, will appear to the eye to be brighter. The XM-L's brighter spill and larger hotspot actually amount to more light overall.