led lenser

corvussam

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,

My name is Sam and I am from Belgium and completely new to this forum.
I love game observing with flaslights and am most happy with my Led lenser P 7 which I run on rechargable nimh 1000 mah energizers without any problems, ignoring the advice of the manufacturor which states that only Alkaline batteries should be used.
I am thinking of buying the ll p 17 also but the batteries in this model go directly in to the torch, do you guys think I could also use rechargeable nimh batteries in this model?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Sam.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I use rechargeable nimh batteries in all my Led Lenser Flashlights, and never had a problem, but you may want to hold off on purchasing the P17 due to Led Lenser upgrading the LED's in all their lights.

The new lights will be introduced on June 1st 2011, and there will be no increase in price.

I'm starting to hear rumors about a X22 that incorporates the Cree XM-L and has 2000 Lumen O.T.F.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the performance of Your cells primarily depend on the quality of the charger,
and a good charger for Ni-Mh is expensive.

As the light is pretty much the same size, but the power inside the cell is several times higer,
switch to 18650 Li-Ion.
I did this several years ago and do not regret a single day

ONLY drawback: in this size there are no throw-away batteries available; You have to have spare cells or charger with You
(if someone sees this as drawback)

yliu

Enlightened
If it worked with 4 AAA NiMH, then it must work with 2 AA NiMH. I have the M7 and I also use rechargeable with no problem.

I hope Led Lenser will put regulation in all of their torches, and better LEDs. Most of their bigger flashlights have around 200 lumens, if you need a brighter one, the the only choice is the X21.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
I am really curious if the new Led Lensers will be regulated. That would make these flashlights a lot better.

corvussam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and didn't know that LL will market some new flashlights.
From your experiences, is there a big difference in light output between the p 14 and 17?
P 14 has the advantage of working on AA cells and the P 17 on D-cells which I currenty don't have ( rechargable ones ).
I use a universal Varta charger for all my nimh batteries and am very happy with it.
Both the P 14 and the P 17 are at very low prices available at the moment on ebay, maybe they start to dump them because of the new models that will arrive around the summer?

yliu

Enlightened
It's June 1st, and nothing new on LedLenser's website. Except they have an American site now, and the ratings are based on ANSI standard.

I was so excited to see a M7 or the X21 with XML.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am really curious if the new Led Lensers will be regulated. That would make these flashlights a lot better.

In theory any LED Lenser model that start with an M is regulated. Their regulation is not very good compared to almost all other regulated lights because the output level (lumens) does not remain consistent. Their regulation looks very much like other non-regulated lights. If you want regulation, you need to look elsewhere.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
Led Lenser lightts bother me. I have a p7, mt7, p3 and k3. Also have an OLD hocus focus (now called police tech) and all of them are good. I like the p3 for it's clean low light. I love the throw on my mt7. But overall the build quality is light. The feel of their tactical lights feels lacking. No roll prevention. Annoying smooth bezels and the output is definately NOT regulated like it should b. Much better tactical lights out there. I just think the user interface on the mt7 is LAME as. Slightly press the button too far and the light goes right off. If they improved the build quality, made them look and feel more aggressive and put higher output emitters in them. I'd be interested. If they offered a prefocused op reflector as an option as opposed to ONLY the focussing I'd be more interested. Steel crenelated bezels. I'd be interested. They are all O K but I prefer tougher lights. Lights that feel really solid. Like my novatac or my olight m21... Still I do say that led lenser lights are OK. But just ok

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
I think the p17 is a pretty good work light, it's actually pretty durable (they get dropped off of 10ft+ high stands, fall down steps etc... and still work, occasionally they stop working but with continued abuse just about any light of this standard will stop working). We use them at work to inspect planes back home. They are water resistant enough to not be hindered by any type of rain, and we get some serious down pours where I live. Throw on the p17 for it's like 220 lumens is pretty incredible, the beam can be seen at 200+meters pretty easily. Regular D batteries last a decent while as well. Focusing system, for our purposes, works well too. The way I think of it, the way it performs, is how the Maglite should have been from the get go. Granted there's all kinds of mods you can do to a maglite to make it better than these as for brightness, but as for a producton light, the 3D Led Lenser p17 is a great light.

Last edited:

kts

Enlightened
People keep saying that theyre not waterproof, but I have seen lots of pics where led lensers are submerged...

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
they are submersible, but if you use the focusing system underwater you increase the chances of water getting in substantially. You wouldn't want to take one into the pool and play around with it. you may get lucky and it'll still work but it's not designed to the same specs due to the focusing system. If you want waterproof, it'll be labeled IPX8 and it won't have focusing capabilities. They could probably put some kind of thin rubber boot underneath the focusing system (i have it pictured in my head but can't describe it very well) but that would also increase chances of the focusing system binding, an accordion style boot would probably be better.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Lenser uses an XR-E R2, Q5 ect... type of LED and if you go NiMH cell route and it goes Direct Drive thats fine. I drive XR-E's at 2A all the time, even in small Surefire L1 hosts.

The fact that the LED Lenser is upgrading their emitters is great news for me, as I have been waiting for prices to drop on these to pick one up.

bigC

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
coast updated their website with new products...only flashlight worth noting that hasn't been upgraded yet is the x21...the old models are "P" lights and the new lights are "HP"

stated on each light description, it mentions laboratory tests pending and that output will be updated to ansi/fl1 standards. So as of right now it's emitter lumens it seems. Product page says FL1 standard currently... not sure what that means though

Last edited:

Kilted

Enlightened
People keep saying that they're not waterproof, but I have seen lots of pics where led lensers are submerged...

Submersible yes to a depth of a few inches. The lights are sealed with decent threads and O-rings. BUT the light focusing changes the internal volume of the flashlight head. The air has to enter and leave otherwise the compressed air would act as a spring, same for a vacuum that's created when the head is extended. To have a water tight sealed system the moving element needs to be done so the volume inside the head does not change. That would be real nice and real expensive.

As a result the flashlights are sealed against water splash-rain any amount you can stand in, dirt, etc., just not focus-able while immersed.

=D~~ Kilted

onerror

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody! I have a question for you if somebody uses rechargeable batteries on a led lenser p17 torch. I want to buy rechargeable 10000 mAh. What do you think? It will kill the led or it will be ok? i'm kinda seak to buy alkaline batteries all the time, lots of money and i want to use rechargeable despite the fact that is denied on this model by the manufacturer, i don't understand why. Thanks a lot!