getting more throw from ultrafire 501b xm-l t6

jcf1

Newly Enlightened
Firstly hello from a LED noob :wave::wave:

I've got myself a couple of lights - a cheap zoomable 3 mode q5 from ebay and an 2 mode ultrafire 501b with a t6 xm-l.

These are to be gun mounted so throw is a major advantage to me. The cheapy q5 is good for this as the zoomable feature can tighten up the beam nicely, but the xm-l t6 has a much better output. Question is - is there any way of tightening the beam on the ultrafire? I know I could put the t6 in the zoomable torch but the build quality on the zoomable one is questionable at best so I intend to use this as a drawer torch.

There is a lot of flood around the hotspot on the ultrafire that is wasted and detracts from my ability to see distance at night, and the angle of the reflector seems to be the problem. Is there a drop in reflector that would help? I tried fitting the lens from the zoomable flashlight but this dropped output a lot and besides is a poor fit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance folks :D

Norm

Retired Administrator
Moved to: Homemade and Modified Flashlights Discussion
Norm

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
The XR-E R2 emitter is a good suggestion.
Another suggestion is to buy the aspheric lens for the UL501B and paint the reflector black.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, welcome to the CPF, I buy a ultrafire with dropin P60 and the light come with two reflectors, a OP and a normal, with the OP, with OP the light is more flood with the other more throw. Maybe you can try to replace the reflector... I can try to show you later with some beamshoots

jcf1

Newly Enlightened
Tons of awesome advise guys - thanks very much, I'll do some research :)

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best lens for getting crazy throw out of D26 lights is ahorton's aspheric here, also he has spacers which should accept the pill from your XM-L module -- plug-and-play. You can paint your existing reflector back as Pacecar suggests, but you'll also need to shorten it to make it work best with this lens -- I'd just throw the few extra $$ at it and keep your existing reflector working, spare parts are good!

An XR-E R2 will throw a bit further behind the same lens, but the XM-L will give a much broader beam throwing nearly as far -- I'd certainly try it with the XM-L you have first. If you find yourself wishing for half the beam-width and marginally increased throw, you can always go for the XR-E at that point. XR-E beam will be a little odd-shaped too (square with two adjacent corners notched out, and more prominent current-spreaders) vs. the XM-L's square beam -- more cosmetics than anything, but I do like the XM-L better. (I haven't built a D26 XM-L aspheric yet, but aim to when time permits... I have an XM-L behind a 52mm aspheric in a WF-500 clone, and it's a sweet light.)

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Cheapest mod would be the smooth reflector option and the "Glass Optics for Flashlights (28mm)" from DX. It turns your P60 light into a small aspheric. This works best with the XR-E emitter if you want max throw. I've done it with a few lights (XR-E R2, the XM-L Ultrafire 3 mode unit and also the red Solarforce dropin). It will make the XM-L throw a bit further, but really the XR-E and this lens is the way to go if you want throw. The XM-L produces a larger hotspot but won't throw quite as far as the XR-E with this setup.

jcf1

Newly Enlightened
Well I've gone for a few options in the end :D

I got the ahorton kit which I will compare to the following bits:

1) A longer throw 26.5mm Aluminum Reflector Drop-in Module Set (without Emitter)
Item Number 5955 on DX

2) Painting my existing reflector and trying the Glass Optics for Flashlights (28mm)
Item Number 5297 on DX

The parts on DX came to a total of $5 so there was nothing to lose in buying those and having a play with a few options, although I suspect that ultimately the ahorton kit will be the best bet for my use. Pure throw isn't really what I'm after - I do want a little spill, its ideal for scanning the field for rabbits, the hotspot is really for actually acquiring the target.

Anyway, I'll have a play about and post my findings......