Eagletac T20C2 or Spark SL6-800CW?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm planning on purchasing either the Eagletac T20C2 with the turbo boost xmlt6 drop-in or the Spark SL6-800CW.

I really have narrowed it down to these two so please don't suggest others in this thread.

Each has its advantages...I've always had good luck with eagletac and have never tried a spark.

The eagletac is available right now but the only U.S. Spark dealer I know of is on vacation for 3 weeks so no new deliveries till end of may. I must admit though everyone deserves a vacation I don't like it when a business simply ceases operation for 3 weeks.

The eagletac max is for 3 min at 2.1 amps. Spark 3 amps for 5 minutes.

Spark has 2 electronic switches. Eagletac 1 mechanical clickie. If I want the eagletac to control strobe from tailcap instead of head twists I have to wait for a newer version not yet available.

Eagletac pills can be replaced for versatility.

Now the real key is what people who OWN these lights have to say. How bout some help guys?

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EagleTac T20C2 does have the versatility you mention to upgrade modules as new emitters are released. The clip is also a bit more substantial on the T20C2, and the light offers a cigar/combat grip (removeable). Mode changes are accomplished via head twists. Momentary function is better realized here.

The Spark SL6-800CW, save for modding, will be limited to it's current emitter. It has dual switches which control the UI and is very compact for the amount of light it puts out.

Both lights offer excellent build quality. Both lights include a holster, and spare o-rings. The T20C2 also includes a diffuser, battery tube for 2xCR123A's, and a lanyard, while the SL6-800CW includes a frosted lens.

I only have the initial XM-L T6 (550 lumen) module for the EagleTac. The T20C2's output on Turbo is comparable to the SL6-800CW output on high. It also has a brighter/tighter hotspot due to the deeper reflector.

To be honest, for my use I have yet to use/carry the T20C2 since I've purchased it. The modules do make it nice to have different options to suit the occasion. But for a light this size, I don't mind going a little bit bigger with the Predator (not a suggestion to you ;) just a stated reason for my case) as it has better throw/beam and it's UI versatility with all of it's programmable features. And if I'm going to go with flood, I do like having it in a smaller package. I tend to lean towards the Spark SL6-800CW.

Edit: 18650 batteries. The T20C2 cannot accept flat top batteries without removing the reverse polarity protection on the modules, and doing so will void the warranty on those modules. There have been issues reported of certain brands not fitting in the SL6-800CW. I can say that both my AW (flat and button top) and Solarforce fit.

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
I have the ET and am very happy with it. The UI is the only downside in my opinion, but many lights are similar. I should have the Spark any day. I like the floodiness, output and UI on it. I am worried it will have some battery or UI "issues," I assusme you have followed the threads about this light. Jake says it appears to be easy upgradeable at the risk of voiding the warranty. If I was getting one I might go with the ET. May want to check out the new ET models and combine it with a new ZL SC 600. Sorry to throw another couple lights in the mix lol.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well I want something small so that's why I narrowed it down to the t20 and the sl6. I also don't like waiting around for new models that often suffer one delay after another. In this case the spark wont be available for 3 weeks anyway so I have to wait at least that long. I'm hoping the t20 with tailcap strobe will be out by then. I doubt the other eagletac catalog vaporwear will be out in 3 weeks but I'll look it over if it is!

I will definitely need to see the t20 super vs sl6 super beamshots before deciding. I'm also curious if the sl6 will lose primaries as a battery source due to high amp draw.

I'm also curious if will start up by itself in my pocket by accident.

I would use aw imr18650 in the sl6 and primaries in the t20.

Oh....most importantly thanks for the input! I had actually missed the sl6 review. Its easy to miss threads when using a cell phone.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks I did read those. That's how the spark got on my short list!

One thing I read here that shocked me was the super mode of the t20 and sl6 were "comparable". No sense in using 3 amps for the same output as 2 amps in the t20 if beamshots show light output looks the same.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I read here that shocked me was the super mode of the t20 and sl6 were "comparable". No sense in using 3 amps for the same output as 2 amps in the t20 if beamshots show light output looks the same.
I apologize if I added any confusion to that. Just to clarify, on my samples the T20C2's max output is comparable to the SL6-800CW on it's high mode, but there is a noticeable difference when the SL6-800CW jumps up to Turbo mode.

Then again, I can't speak of the XM-L T6 HO module EagleTac has since released, and that could very well be what you meant. I would imagine that gap would be very much closer and now I'm curious as to how those two would compare.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Don't you wish manufacturers simply called the highest output "max" then next "high" then "medium" then "low" or a 1 lumen or less mode called " moonlight"? But NOOOOOOOOooooo...we have super over max or turbo or boost. To me if there is a mode called max there is no higher mode! I emailed a manufacturer whose documentation included the words max and super yet HE called it turbo! Rant over

pageyjim

Enlightened
Don't you wish manufacturers simply called the highest output "max" then next "high" then "medium" then "low" or a 1 lumen or less mode called " moonlight"? But NOOOOOOOOooooo...we have super over max or turbo or boost. To me if there is a mode called max there is no higher mode! I emailed a manufacturer whose documentation included the words max and super yet HE called it turbo! Rant over

+1.

It is like ordering coffer at Dunkin Donuts. You order a large and it is not the largest or you order a small coke at McDonald's and they say they don't have a small.

recDNA

Flashaholic
+1.

It is like ordering coffer at Dunkin Donuts. You order a large and it is not the largest or you order a small coke at McDonald's and they say they don't have a small.

It's funny you gave that example. My wife and I stopped at Wendy's today for drinks and I remembered asking for a small once that was too big and a kiddie size that was too small so I asked for a 16 oz for wife and 32 oz for me. Brilliant right? Trouble was not a soul in the place had any idea how many ounces were in each size cup. I had to ask the girl to show me each sized cup to choose. Mine is easy (I just want the biggest) but my wife gets perturbed if I bring her one that's too big or too small. Actually I still don't know the right words because I just said THAT one and THAT one! LOL

I'm really leaning toward the Spark unless I read something bad about them in the next 3 weeks. I wish they had a second American dealer. I don't like waiting.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a way to fit any 18650 battery in the sl6. you will lose the rear clicky function but nice in a pinch. you remove the sleeve inside. i'll try to post up a video on how.
yes! i do agree on the naming of modes. it's so confusing between the brands.