Mag drop-in help.

bulldog_shotgun

Newly Enlightened
hey guys.
i have a pair of factory Mag 2d LEDs and love them.
i'm looking for a led dropin for my venerable ol 3d.

what i'm looking for.

-easy (drop in and go)
-ability to keep the cam, change focus
-good throw
-would prefer to use primarys
-budgets about 50~

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

ARA

Enlightened
If you can stretch your budget by $20 more. i'd totally recommend the Malkoff dropin. I got one for my 4D works perfectly on alkalines. The tint, throw and beam quality blows me away everytime.

They are in stock on the website now (which is quite rare), grab it while you can. Even if you don't like it you could sell it on the marketplace plenty of takers there and buy something else.

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
What is the runtime on the Malkoff 2D? Can't find it on their site. I know the 3D has a longer run but I want to upgrade my old faithful 2D

hotlight

Enlightened
make sure the Mag 3D has a "D" for the first letter in the serial # if you go with a Malkoff

bulldog_shotgun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys. i was at lowes the other day and behind all the rest of the 3d LED's there were some new ones rated at 134lumens, 384M throw and 33k candela. 30 bucks figured what the heck and bought it.

uknewbie

Banned
Thanks for the help guys. i was at lowes the other day and behind all the rest of the 3d LED's there were some new ones rated at 134lumens, 384M throw and 33k candela. 30 bucks figured what the heck and bought it.

I'm sorry but there is no way that Maglite throws anything like 384 metres! I know they make these claims on their website too but it is just plain misleading at best, and out and out dishonest at worst. I assume the "M" they use denotes metres, I may be wrong?

I recently did a night time test on my 700 lumen Terralux TLE-300M EX in a 6D Mag with 6 x 10Ah LSD Nimh cells, which I measured out to 150 metres. Now it did light up the tree at the end of this distance, but not very well. And this is pretty throwy beam.

Now, the TI L30 lit it up well enough, but that is a 3200 lumen HID. On a side note, my Elektrolumens Firesword IV, which is 3000 lumens of complete flood lit up 150 metres as well as the Terralux :eek:

If it suits you then good enough, and it is cheap, just don't buy into those claims too much!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry but there is no way that Maglite throws anything like 384 metres! I know they make these claims on their website too but it is just plain misleading at best, and out and out dishonest at worst. I assume the "M" they use denotes metres, I may be wrong?
Mag follows the new NEMA standard which uses 0.25 lux instead of the old 1 lux common on CPF. As most people will have trouble telling the brightness difference between a leaf lit up by the full moon (0.25 lux) and an adjacent leaf lit up by a Mag at 384 M (also 0.25 lux) it is relatively useless by itself. But it is a number that can be converted to something more useful.
384 M at 0.25 lux = 192 M at 1 lux = 96 M at 4 lux which is more like what eyes need.

700 lumens is total brightness, not a measure of throw, A 60W home light bulb is 800+ lumens but won't throw very far.
The small reflectors/optics of the TLE-300M EX don't perform as well as a 52 mm of the stock Mag and less against the new reflector of the MagLEDs. The new MagLEDs should throw close to the TLE-300M EX but the pinprick hotspot would be much smaller and less useful.

uknewbie

Banned
Mag follows the new NEMA standard which uses 0.25 lux instead of the old 1 lux common on CPF. As most people will have trouble telling the brightness difference between a leaf lit up by the full moon (0.25 lux) and an adjacent leaf lit up by a Mag at 384 M (also 0.25 lux) it is relatively useless by itself. But it is a number that can be converted to something more useful.
384 M at 0.25 lux = 192 M at 1 lux = 96 M at 4 lux which is more like what eyes need.

700 lumens is total brightness, not a measure of throw, A 60W home light bulb is 800+ lumens but won't throw very far.
The small reflectors/optics of the TLE-300M EX don't perform as well as a 52 mm of the stock Mag and less against the new reflector of the MagLEDs. The new MagLEDs should throw close to the TLE-300M EX but the pinprick hotspot would be much smaller and less useful.

Yeah I appreciate these differences, but I could make the same comparison with my Jetbeam
M1X or Thrunight Catapult, both of which are throwers.

What I mean to say is don't think the mag will in any meaningful way, light up anything at anything like that distance, or even half of it for that matter.