Need Caliper advice

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I get a decent but affordable caliper? I'm tired of not being able to measure my flashlight stuff!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one of these yesterday:

6" Digital caliper @ Harbor freight

I got mine instore @ $39.99, but they will pricematch the webstore if you print the ad and take it in to the store. It seems like a really nice caliper for my needs, and the specs. seem to be quite good also. I don't think you can do better for $20?

Peter

unnerv

Enlightened
My dad is a machinist and I had him test a set on a calibaration block that is exactly 1.000 inch and it came up exact. Very impressive for $20 bucks. I end up getting 2 more sets just to have around the house.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about Harbor Master, ther's one not too far from me. I think I'll go out in the morning cause they're shipping isn't bad($3.95), but "handling" is a joke($5.95)!

I've printed the ad to the $14.99 one with scale(non digital)and will use that to get a good price. I might stop by Home Depot to see what they charge. Will Home Depot be close in price? HM is a bit of a drive.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I always thought Harbor Freight had cheap tools. But it sounds like they are better than HD and Lowe's.

Thanks for the advice. Shoot, I'll pick up some other things while I'm there to make the drive worthwhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm assuming that when you say "Harbor Master" that you really mean "Harbor Freight". I got mine at Harbor Freight. I think this deal will be hard to beat, but if you have a Home Depot nearby it couldn't hurt to do some comparison shopping I guess.

BTW, I'd recommend spending the extra $5 and going with the digital unit, much easier and nicer to use ( no squinting), IMHO.

Peter

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
...BTW, I'd recommend spending the extra $5 and going with the digital unit, much easier and nicer to use ( no squinting), IMHO.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know where to get an inexpensive digital micrometer?

Brightnorm

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Midway usa has their Frankford Arsenal SS calipers on sale for 17.99, their digital one is 41.00.
I've been using the dial caliper.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll probably get the digital, you guys are right it will be easier. I was trying to make myself learn how to read those tiny guages, but why? I should no better than that, I won't like it and buy the digital anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
...BTW, I'd recommend spending the extra $5 and going with the digital unit, much easier and nicer to use ( no squinting), IMHO.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know where to get an inexpensive digital micrometer?

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like H.F. has them too, though I have no experience using them. Same brand as the calipers, which seem to be of good quality.

Digital micrometer

There are a couple more, do a keyword search for 'micrometer".

Peter

snuffy

Enlightened
Careful guys. You know the old saying: "You get what you pay for" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Point taken. But these are perfect for what I need them to do. I'm not building a satellite after all. I think these are actually pretty good quality and have a very high bang/buck ratio. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are all the items at HF stores higher than their online prices?

I'm printing out what I want to price match incase they are. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
www.use-enco.com

Enco has some of the best prices out there on everything from "economy" equipment to top line stuff. I've bought a lot from them and the prices and service are always great.

Eric

PeterW

Enlightened
Digital???? What's wrong with reading the value off the vernier scale?? And avoid plastic like the plague as it ain't as robust as metal!! I prefer the nice japanese calipers with the pokey spike for depth measuements.

....English units... I am english and we have been using nice old metric since the 1970's, though somepeople still haven't cottoned on the the fact!!

Cheers

PEterW
England!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
I just got one of these yesterday:

6" Digital caliper @ Harbor freight

I got mine instore @ $39.99, but they will pricematch the webstore if you print the ad and take it in to the store. It seems like a really nice caliper for my needs, and the specs. seem to be quite good also. I don't think you can do better for $20?

Peter

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks buddy! Just got back from HF with my caliper, files and titanium bits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The lady at the cash register didn't even blink when I showed her the printout from their site, no manager needed, she just wiped out $20 from the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
Wow, you weren't kidding Eric! When I was still doing the machinist thing, I got the cheapest acceptable calipers I could. (Fowler dial calipers, and the Q.A. department had no problem with them. They stayed accurate over the intervals of approval, they repeated well and always got the green label.) I looked them up on that Enco site and they were only 25 bucks! I'm scared to look up the mitutoyo stuff I have, I might be upset.