E-series LOTC mod for lanyard attachment

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As a result of an inquriry on a related matter from K-T, I finally got around to visiting an idea that has been on the back burner for a long time. There is nothing new about the idea but I wanted to see if it would work as a mod on an E series tail cap.

switch.jpg

I'm kind of interested in means of tethering and attaching devices and I wanted to replace the rubber boot on the LOTC with a metal post that could serve as an atttachment point.

assembly.jpg

Since I'm also lazy, I'll steal the text from my web page:

A threaded nut with O-ring face seal is placed inside the stock tail cap. This nut has a smooth internal bore for sealing against an O-ring on the switch post. The switch post is isolated from ground contact by this O-ring as well as an additional isolating O-ring as used on the stock switch assembly. Momentary as well as constant on are accomplished in the same manner as the stock switch. The exposed post can be configured for various applications. It could be threaded for an external lock out nut. It could also have a drilled and tapped mounting port.

with-lanyard.jpg

I had used something similar on a Ti Arc AAA mod I did last year. I think this kind of tail switch would be very useful on small lights; especially key ring lights.

- Don

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
How much? That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Paypal is waiting. Please make a few!

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Cool Lanyard Attachement Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'd buy a unit also.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, that's a brilliant idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

does the extra leverage make it easier to turn on?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If anyone wants to get a small production run of these, be my guest! I can provide some drawings with dimensions. Ideally, the nut should be anodized and the isolated post/ switch plunger should be EN plated.

Roth,

Since the switch is still push on, I don't understand your comment on increased leverage.

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well i've found that when the light is close to being on, a little sidewise force will complete the curcuit...
although i modded it with a kroll quite a long time ago, and have a horrible memory besides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Roth,

Now I understand. I think this switch decreases the ability to cant the cap off axis for mom on.

Tylerdurden,

For water to get in, it must pass an O-ring. How water proof is that? It depends on the state of the O-rings and bore and groove surfaces. If properly maintained, water resistance as well as preassure resistance should be good. I have discussed this a bit with PK and I know he is not fond of bore seals. On the otherhand, most of my under water dive equipment and camera housings have multiple pushbutton switches which use bore seals. I think I would trust my prototype in a swimming pool but that's about it. A well machined part should serve well in any situation a light like this would typically be used; this type of push button tail switch is stupid for a dive light anyway.

- Don

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, another excellent idea... make a bunch - people are askin'... !!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Are you saying it is waterproof (probably) even when the switch is in operation? I just assumed that if you actually depressed the switch while fully submerged the water would flow in. I was mostly curious if it would be ok if you dropped it in the pool, not if you could actually use it in the pool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tylerdurden,

Throughout the full stroke of the pushbutton, the O-ring seal is maintained on the center shaft. It should by design, work well underwater.

D.Spec,

Thanks. Perhaps you'd like to offer this switch as an option on the Firefly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think we both need another project right now........

Larry,

This type switch does add length but how about on the "N"? For one handed opperation, it beats twist on....

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Don,

It would add at least 1/4" and I'm keepin' 'em under 2" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . Actually one hand operation will be just like an AAA, which I find to be easy. Going to a tailcap push-on on a light this short would be awkward, necessitating holding your pinky and ring finger out of the way of the beam. (Ordered a 30deg included endmill today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Larry

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
tylerdurden,

Don designs and builds stuff like this,,,,,

dive_helmet_on.jpg

....and swims with whales, so I don't think you have to worry about the switch's waterproof integrity. Nice job as always Don!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,

OK, Cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan,
Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif that pic hasn't been up for a while. Point of fact though, I was given that helmet proto by J-M Cousteau to add the LED lights. I didn't make it. I don't know how it worked out but I think a helmet like this should be worn by anybody who is taking themselves too seriously. That's a self portrait and my smirk is because I knew how stupid the picture was going to look! I had sat at a table discussion about lights being added to that helmet and Cousteau picked it up and put it on. Good thing I wasn't drinking coffee at the time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif With wetsuit and scuba gear, the helmet fits. Putting it on while topsides in street clothes is another story....

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
But who dives with a helmet?

Re bore seals: I'm not sure i know what this is, is that a seal for axial movement?

Edit: nice pic!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
AilSnail,

Some commercial divers and expedition divers use helmets. Think of them as UW hard hats.

By bore seal, I mean any seal that is on a shaft or in a bore, sealing a shaft. The shaft may rotate or plunge or a combination of the two. I use the term bore to distinguish against a face seal (compression). A bore seal needn't be in a round configuration either.

- Don

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused on this helmet thing... does it protect you from Bore Seals? Or Boar Seals? I hear they are mean and I sure would advise wearing a helmet just like that if I had to swim or kayak in boar seal infested waters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
A-6,

I think you should wear one of these helmets AT ALL TIMES. One can not be to careful. It just so happens that the magnet flux from the LED lights confines the confusion to within the helmet perimeter; something appreciated by those around you.

- Your friend