Good green thrower?

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Hello fellow members,

i'm about to find a new light for a rifle for a friend.

The light should throw quite well, hopefully over 100 meters with a green color.
Should fit to his rifle, and be under 7 inches long.

Any ideas?

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Specialty green LED lights for rifle mounting are available from Sniper Hawg Lights (the Destroyer) or the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR250 (in the USA).

Since you are in Norway, you might try to get a Brinyte BR900 or UF900 in green LED directly from the Chinese Brinyte manufacturer.

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replied to another post from today where a member is looking for a red LED light. I suggested the possibility of using a colored filter as an alternative to a dedicated colored LED. Then I saw this post and so I'll offer the same suggestion. Solarforce offers color lenses for 6P hosts. Not sure if you would still get the kind of throw you are looking for with a green filtered lens but with the right emitter and reflector you just might and the size of a 6P host would fit most standard gun mounts, plus there are many remote switches available that fit these hosts.

http://www.itc-shop.net/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=27&id=68

Blitzwing

Enlightened
One of the Solarforce P60 dropins in green, with a smooth reflector and teamed up with a cheap aspheric lens from DX should get 100m of throw. I have the red unit set up that way in a Solarforce L2, for use on a .22LR

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Their XRE-R2 drop-in is pretty throwy even without the aspheric and then you wouldn't have to give up your spill.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . I suggested the possibility of using a colored filter as an alternative to a dedicated colored LED. . . . .

When you use a filter, you throw away the energy that was used to produce the other colours, so this approach will produce less light from the same energy source - but if you only want to carry one light, it'll work.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you use a filter, you throw away the energy that was used to produce the other colours, so this approach will produce less light from the same energy source - but if you only want to carry one light, it'll work.

Yes, of course. That's why I said, "Not sure if you would still get the kind of throw you are looking for with a green filtered lens". Some well made colored lenses still have decent transmission, though.

Actually, I'm not sure of the reason for a rifle mounted colored light with throw. Mostly, I'm familiar with using hand held lights (blue) to follow blood trails at closer range. Perhaps the OP could explain the thinking.

seven11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
Do you have any info on the BR900 and UF900's throw?
Can you give me a link?

Brinyte has changed the name of the UF900 to the BR-07. The throw on these lights is extremely good. I have two of them in green and they will allow you to ID out to around 170 yards. The problem is that Brinyte is VERY selective about who they sell to. If they already have someone who distributes their lights in your country, they won't sell to anyone else. Hopefully you'll get lucky though. They have good service and I got my lights from China in about 5 days. They won't sell to me again though since they have a distributor in the U.S. already. The lights are well made, and are a great deal at around $25 (USD) a piece.

http://www.brinyte.com/?c=products&cid=&t=view&viewid=684

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Thanks for your great answers!
I wonder how i can order this Brinyte? There is a Brinyte dealer in Norway, they cost about 85$ and they doesnt have the BR07.

How do you think a Nailbender (XRE-R2 or XPE-R2?) would work with a green filter from Solarforce? Nailbenders drop-in is rated at 12 000 lux and 290 OTF.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can ask nailbender to make a green drop in. He got green xp-e led's so no need for filters. I hope your friend has legal intentions for mounting a light on his gun (military etc.), he might loose it, and have some explaning to do if he gets caught with a civilian type gun with a flashlight mounted.

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
You can ask nailbender to make a green drop in. He got green xp-e led's so no need for filters. I hope your friend has legal intentions for mounting a light on his gun (military etc.), he might loose it, and have some explaning to do if he gets caught with a civilian type gun with a flashlight mounted.

Thanks, Jorn.
This light will not be used for hunting in Norway, but he will use it in countries were hunting with lights are legal.
He is known with the fact that hunting with portable lights is illegal here.

Last edited: