JetBeam IIIM R5 or XM-L?

PKFan

Newly Enlightened
So I was just about to pull the trigger on a JetBeam IIIM R5, only to find out that it's about to be updated to XM-L soon. Now I'm a newbie here (so please correct me if I'm off base), but from what I've read, XM-L in general seems to put out more lumens, but doesn't have the throw of R5. I like the specs of the R5 version, so would there be any reason to expect the XM-L version to be better? Or has anyone seen the specs of the XM-L version yet?
Thanks

JetZyZz

Newly Enlightened
I only just got my 3M R5 not that long ago never knew there was a new one coming out do u know exactly when this XM-L is coming out is the torch ment to look any diffrent from the 3M R5. Either way ud be happy with the R5 i didnt think i was gunna put out as much light as it did very powerfull and the throw on it is still good it lights up my back yard for it size and u could always get both :thumbsup: nothing wrong with having to many jetbeams haha

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I know the XML has 450 lumens vs 355 lumens for the R5.
I still want to know how the throw is with the XML.
I know you can order the XML now.
so what exactly is the diffrence between the 3M R5 and the XM-L ? ( looks and peformance wise )

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the XML!!!!
I will compare it to my R5 to see the difference.
From what I know the XML has 450 lumens vs 355 lumens for the R5.
I still want to know how the throw is with the XML.
I know you can order the XML now.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I am really hooked on neutral tints. I just may try one too since my Jet-I pro v3 (warm) is probably my most powerful. Basically time to get a serious torch ;~)

Darkwall

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the XML!!!!
I will compare it to my R5 to see the difference.

Have you recieved the xml version? what are your thoughts to how it compares to the R5 version? maybe comment on the spill, throw and observed distance if you cant post pics.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R5 has a more defined hotspot.
I can't give a real answer for throw comparison for long distance, but at 75 feet the R5 & the XML is very close with the XML having an advantage of being brighter all around.
The XML is definitely brighter with a larger hotspot, and the spill lights up the surrounding area a lot more.
If you are looking for a thrower, then I would probably consider the R5. I personally like the XML for the overall brightness for both the larger hotspot & spill.
In a small room the XML makes the R5 look a little dim.
Have you recieved the xml version? what are your thoughts to how it compares to the R5 version? maybe comment on the spill, throw and observed distance if you cant post pics.