My First mod - Triple XM-L Flood Light (Photos, poor explanation included!)

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

I got onto the forums when the need arose to create some good flood lights for an upcoming camping trip. Traditional 4WD lights were out of the question because of their high power usage and cost - we will have no way to recharge our deep cycle battery while we are gone so the lights needed to be low current draw. Also being the tight a*s I am and my love of tinkering I decided to give making one myself a go.

After a lot of discussion on these forums I finally decided to use the existing shell of an $8 150W halogen work light from my local hardware store as the base for the mod. I used this driver from DX. I replaced the C1 capacitor so that it would work with a 12V battery - this was easier than I imagined once I knew what I was doing!!!

I gutted it of all the existing electronics and then cut and bent into shape a thick aluminium bar that was then screwed and thermal glued into the body. This will form the base for mounting the LEDs and reflector and hopefully allow the heat generated to be transfered to the case.

In order to make soldering the LEDs easy and to get over the hump caused by the screw being centered on the plate above, I made a smaller plate on which the LEDs were glued and soldered. This was then thermal pasted to the first aluminium plate.

The electronics for the whole thing were made to be modular and mounted in the back of the flood light in the old wiring area (kept the wires away from the heat of the halogen globe I think). The driver connects to the LEDs via a traditional DC power pack type plug. I didn't want to hardwire the LEDs to the driver - makes it easier to swap the driver at a later stage. A switch was also added.

The original reflector was kept but had gaping holes in it from where the halogen ceramic holder went. I covered these with tin foil....better than nothing :tinfoil:
The 'flappy' things are so that it doesn't push into the wiring, but still sort of covers the remaining gap.

And the finished article. It still needs a proper power cable added but I will hopefully do that this weekend:

A bit dodgy but it works really well. Easily brighter than the 150W halogen it replaces (to my eyes anyway) and at only 29W. The pattern seems very even and floody. I will be doing this again to a twin 500W work light tower soon, and will be using some 3A drivers instead....so they should be even better.

I have a control shot taken with the halogen, but am yet to take one with the LEDs for comparison. If people are interested I will try get that sooner rather than later!

Hope this interest someone lol. I learnt soooo much doing it and now I'm hookedlovecpf

I butchered the hell out of the 2 outer LEDs - I had to scrape back the contacts closer to the emitters themselves after managing to pull off the solder pads THREE TIMES. I also got thermal paste everywhere after the first attempt at putting it together. It took me 2 hours to clean up. Lessons definitely learnt.

Hopefully my next project is a bit more professional looking :thumbsup:

Cheers.

- Matt

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Nice work, looks good all put back together. And it very well could be brighter then the 150W halogen, since its just a stamped metal reflector which would make for all sorts of nasty losses from the bulb shining in all directions, vs the 3 LEDs which should be pumping most their light out the front.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesnt look like the reflector is needed with those leds, remember the old halogen bulb pumped light out 360 degrees, those LEDS throw light out at most 180 even at that I would bet that 90% of the light is going forward at about a 60 degree spread, not even hitting the reflector, try a with and without beam shot.

Great idea, I have always wanted to try this with my security lights but scared of electrocuting myself lol

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesnt look like the reflector is needed with those leds, remember the old halogen bulb pumped light out 360 degrees, those LEDS throw light out at most 180 even at that I would bet that 90% of the light is going forward at about a 60 degree spread, not even hitting the reflector, try a with and without beam shot.

Great idea, I have always wanted to try this with my security lights but scared of electrocuting myself lol

I swear I replied to this but the reply has gone missing. I'd imagine a reflector is actually useless in this case as the beam angle from XM-Ls is only 125 degrees...but the reflector will reflect something I'm sure and it serves to make it look a little nicer than just bare electronics, ugly metal plates and smeared thermal glue!

netprince

Enlightened
This is a great idea. Nice work.

BTW, where did you get the original work light? I might have to try something like this...

richpalm

Banned
Hey, I like this! Got one of these years ago. So you power it with a wall wart? If batteries, what kind?

Rich

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey…not sure where you guys are located (I'm assuming USA/Canada) but I bought it from a hardware chain here in Australia called Bunnings. Similar deal to Home Depot I guess. I can't understand how they can sell them at $8 a pop – I'd pay that for just the housing! They have twin 500W halogens on a extendible mast with tripod for $34. I will convert that as well I think….the 500W housings are bigger and better suited to the 3 XM-Ls.

As I built it primarily for camping I run it off a Gel 12V 105Ah Deep Cycle battery, but I'm sure with an AC to DC transformer (in fact maybe you could use those halogen down light transformers?) you could easily run it off mains. Might be a good way to save power for outdoor fixed flood lights?

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened
This is EXACTLY what my friends have been asking me about and I have been wanting to do! This on a 120v inverter board, or a PC power supply would be !!!!!!!!!

richpalm

Banned
As I built it primarily for camping I run it off a Gel 12V 105Ah Deep Cycle battery, but I'm sure with an AC to DC transformer (in fact maybe you could use those halogen down light transformers?) you could easily run it off mains. Might be a good way to save power for outdoor fixed flood lights?

Cool! I have a bunch of Vector spotlights... I can steal a SLA out of one.

Rich

LTD

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely going to attempt a similar project. What changes did you do to the capacitor in order to make it stand 12V?

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The small C1 capacitor with a 10uF 16V surface mount. However, for ease of use I recommend this or even better this. They're both good for 12V and even brighter with XM-Ls as they provide 3A. The LCK driver will get to you MUCH faster as well.

I bought the DX drivers a month ago and only got them this morning. I will be using them in the twin 500W housing mod...just waiting on the LEDs now.

LTD

Newly Enlightened
The small C1 capacitor with a 10uF 16V surface mount. However, for ease of use I recommend this or even better this. They're both good for 12V and even brighter with XM-Ls as they provide 3A. The LCK driver will get to you MUCH faster as well.

I bought the DX drivers a month ago and only got them this morning. I will be using them in the twin 500W housing mod...just waiting on the LEDs now.

Thanks for advise. Guess I'll go for these drivers next time then. Dx is a little bit cheaper I think as they provide free shipping. What are the advantages with XM-Ls?

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
More power per watt than any other LED out there (at least they were at the time I got into this...I'm pretty sure they still are). Good flood pattern of 125 degrees. Just all round good for this application!