Make your 2 C Mag preform like a TigerLight

larryk

Enlightened
I don't know if this has been discussed here before, anyway I bought some TigerLight factory seconds lamps from FlashlightLens.com and some 912 PR base sockets from Carley. Run the 2 C Mag on 3 123's and you have a $10.00 drop in mod, less batteries that performs just as good as my Tigerlight.
Larry.

ufokillerz

Enlightened
done this as well, works really nice. shouldnt you use something other then a stock lens with a TL lamp assembly? You dont even need the base sockets, a bit of pin bending does the job, i even made on TL lamp asslemby into a PR based that pushes in to the mag. a bit of epoxy, solder, wire and a metal screw.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
larryk said:
I don't know if this has been discussed here before, anyway I bought some TigerLight factory seconds lamps from FlashlightLens.com and some 912 PR base sockets from Carley. Run the 2 C Mag on 3 123's and you have a $10.00 drop in mod, less batteries that performs just as good as my Tigerlight.
Larry.

[/ QUOTE ]

More detail please. How do you run the MAG from 123-cells?

Turt

Enlightened
I use 5/8" heater hose from pep boys... cut one side open and fit 3 123s into the hose... fits perfectly in a 2 C Mag.

Turt

Enlightened
Would this mod be any brighter than using the KPR112 bulb from radio shack? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
I've done both. My "standard" configuration for around the house general use lights is a 2 cell M*G with KPR112 and 3x123s for power, but I also have TL moded one.

I find that they are both about the same brightness, but the TL lamp assembly has a better beam. With acrylite lenses in front, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

larryk

Enlightened
Turt- Yes it is brighter and also a larger hot spot than the KPR 112 or Carley 716 bulb. If you own, or have seen a TigerLight the beam is identical.
Nascar- Go to there website and click on Carley Products, then click on Carley Sockets. Only problem is you have to place a $ 50.00 minimum order.
With this mod you can leave the Mag head on, you don't need to use the Mag's retaining ring that screws down to hold the original bulb. You just plug the TigerLight lamp into the Carley base and drop it right in and then screw the lens cover back on.
Larry.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done a lot of testing and playing with various configurations in a Mag 2C. Using 3x123 I have measured the voltage across, the current through, and the power into the following:
<ul type="square">[*]KPR-112 . . 8.3v 0.79a 6.6w
[*]TL LA . . . . 7.4v 1.97a 14.5w[/list]
Yes indeed, the TL LA is quite a bit brighter. If you're finding they have about the same brightness in your Mag body, there must be some extraneous resistance somewhere.

Paul

larryk

Enlightened
This is just a guess, but I think the weak point for extraneous resistance would be the Mag switch itself. running the TL lamp with 6 AA Nimh batteries, which is the set up TL uses produces a much dimmer output than the TL.
Larry.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it could be in the switch, at the contact between the lamp bipin leads and the Mag pedestal, or in the tail. But I believe it's a problem with the particular light, because it is possible to get all that sizzling brightness in a Mag 2C host. My guess is that the connection between the lamp and the pedestal is the problem area.

Regarding the use of 6AAs to drive this LA. If you have them in Electrolumen's 3toD holders, be aware that each holder has 1 ohm of resistance. Two holders, with 2 ohms at a current of more than an ampere, will cause a voltage drop that's significant. This problem (and a fix) is discussed HERE.

Paul

larryk

Enlightened
Hi Paul, I have repaired the 3 to D holders. Using 6 AA alkaline batteries, it is the same brightness as 3 123's in my 2 D Mag.
Larry.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

I may have misinterpreted what Elnath said. I thought he said that the KPR-112 and the TL LA were equally bright. That should not be. But if you're comparing the 3x123 and the 6xAA, it seems reasonable that they would be of equal brightness.

Regarding runtime tests, I haven't done any with the TL. But I think I can make a pretty good guess for the 3x123 configuration. The 123s seem to get about an hour on 1.2 amps and about 20 minutes on 2.5 amps. So the TL, running at 2.0 amps, would get maybe 35 minutes.

Paul

Elnath

Newly Enlightened
Sorta....

What I've found is that the TL LA with AAs (at least without moding the EL holders) is about the same brightness as the 112. When they are both on 123s I find the TL to be somewhat brighter, but to be honest not quite as bright as my "real" TL. Given the "complications" of the TL LA in the Mag, I'm not really sure it's worth it. I think the 112 with 3x123s works out pretty well wrt brightness and run-time.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
This mod sounds interesting, how does the TL LA hold up running 3x123 in the 2C M. I am on my 3rd KPR-123 at around 30 minutes run time and still measure 8.96 VDC at the bulb base.

Also does anybody have a picture of this mod or the TL LA, I can't tell much from the pic's I can find.

Thanks!
Sway

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
This is a NICE mod!! I just converted my 2C over to the TL LA + 3x123 configuration. THIS THING IS BRIGHT. I'm not sure how much of a charge I have on my 11" TL I'm comparing it to, but here are some readings at 1 meter:

Stock TL - 3490fc
2C 3x123 - 3870fc

It seems like the best fit is acheived when you take a little over 1mm off the lip of the reflector. I get a gap and the bezel doesn't screw down all the way unless I do this. I also removed the bulb base and soldered leads right to the switch. I'll try to get some pictures and current measurements up soon.