Repurposing existing lights for sale as a different application

rideit

Newly Enlightened
So, I want to take an existing led flashlight, and make a solid, reliable multipurpose casing so that it can be used for a common application. So, far, I don't think that I need to make much modification to the 'guts' of the light, just a different thread on
'head' (part that opend for batteries, and encloses the bezel...is there a diagram that outlines this terminology?)

Question is would it be a patent violation of the flashlight manufacturer if the application is not close to any I have found, exactly?
Thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
It will largely depend on what purpose you have in mind for it and whether the manufacturer's name will be visible anywhere on the finished item. For example, if you are intending to turn a Maglite into a cattle-prod, or even just something harmless like a pepper-grinder, the Maglite Corp. might object to that. If it is them, they will probably object anyway, as they are very litigious.

criminalhate

Newly Enlightened
So, I want to take an existing led flashlight, and make a solid, reliable multipurpose casing so that it can be used for a common application. So, far, I don't think that I need to make much modification to the 'guts' of the light, just a different thread on
'head' (part that opend for batteries, and encloses the bezel...is there a diagram that outlines this terminology?)

Question is would it be a patent violation of the flashlight manufacturer if the application is not close to any I have found, exactly?
Thanks!

Depending on what your making it maybe easier to build it from scratch. Buy a driver and led star from one of the multiple sources and then design/build the case/head to fit your needs. More details of what your designing would probably help us point you in a better direction.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
It will largely depend on what purpose you have in mind for it and whether the manufacturer's name will be visible anywhere on the finished item. For example, if you are intending to turn a Maglite into a cattle-prod, or even just something harmless like a pepper-grinder, the Maglite Corp. might object to that. If it is them, they will probably object anyway, as they are very litigious.

So if I buy a Chev/Ford/GM luxury car and use it to transport manure, the manufacturer can take legal action against me ???

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in a sales contract that stops me using an item how I want.

DM51

Flashaholic
So if I buy a Chev/Ford/GM luxury car and use it to transport manure, the manufacturer can take legal action against me ???

You really want to do that?

Manure_ford_1955.jpg

Good point, though.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
That is a good point, it makes me think of aftermarket auto tuners. Some sell complete cars, but they also usually have a deal with the oem. Maybe you could set it up so you're only selling the modification and parts associated, but also will sell a complete light. I think Mac's Customs does that with the Maglite, and as already mentioned, Mag is quite persistent about maintaining the rights to their own products.

I think ultimately you just need to avoid claiming that you made the whole light, ie scraping off the serial number and the company's name and claiming it was all your work.

mahoney

Enlightened
It boils down to whether or not you want to sell your re-purposed light bodies. You can do anything you want with your own private property that does not violate the law, but when you modify something that bears copyrighted logos or patented features for resale, then you need an attorney. It does not necessarily matter if what you are doing violates the rights of the original manufacturer.... more than one small company has gone bankrupt when sued by a company with much deeper pockets.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I need to say my final word on this, especially because others are making it sound fairly dangerous to do what you are intending to do.

I think you should call a patent attorney and nail down whatever specifics you need to in order to continue your intended course. Protect yourself and then you can have all the fun you want.

Walterk

Enlightened
What about the Malkof devices? After all its just an accessory.
What about the housings sold to make a brand camera be used for scuba diving?

Just selling a light rebranded or with another label is another issue.
I don't see why you could not sell a product with another manufacturer's parts inside it.