Jetbeam BC40 Question

JNieporte

Enlightened
I just ordered a JetBeam BC40 and had a quick question. I plan on running it with four non-rechargeable 123 cells. How will this affect runtime and output, as opposed to running it with two 18650s?
I'm curious as to how it will perform against my Solarforce Skyline for throw or MG P-Rocket for brightness.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Mine looks the same with 4 X CR123 or 2 X 18650. I would think runtime would be longer with 4 X CR123 but I haven't tested it.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a JetBeam BC40 and had a quick question. I plan on running it with four non-rechargeable 123 cells. How will this affect runtime and output, as opposed to running it with two 18650s?
I'm curious as to how it will perform against my Solarforce Skyline for throw or MG P-Rocket for brightness.

I was going to reply when you posted 2 days ago but I'm afraid I am of no help on this one, I don't have the Skyline or P-Rocket. The best help I can be is....... It pulls 1.65 amps on 2x18650's(80 minutes on 2200ma/105 minutes on 2900ma)) and 1.21 amps on 4xcr123's(75 minutes). Just an estimate, hope this helps.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for correcting my runtime error.
It's just an estimate really, it may not be accurate. I had to scrape together 4 primaries from my emergency MD2, L1 and green laser because I run mostly 18650's and 17650's in my lights.

JNieporte

Enlightened
The BC40 puts out the same amount of light on both modes (to my eyes) whether it's using four CR123s or two 18650s.
My light (from BatteryJunction) didn't come with batteries or a holster, but they weren't listed as included accessories. I'm not sure why some distributors include them and some don't. The cigar grip / anti-roll ring spins, so I put an O-ring on first, then the ring, then the tailcap. The ring no longer spins.

Anyone who can comment on how the BC40 does with heat on long runs?

I just got the light today, and have used it for duty. Long-term, I'm hoping it works as well as it did today...
I used it on and off, both modes, for around five hours today. There were no short bursts of light to save battery power; my shortest usage was about fifteen minutes on low and perhaps six to eight minutes on high. Without actually using the light, I left it on the desk (on high) for 35 minutes while I walked around. When I got back, the head was pretty warm, but not so hot that I couldn't hold it (by the head for a few minutes). Today, I was using four Titanium Innovations CR123s. Thumbs up for this light.

Re: Versus the MG P-Rocket and Solarforce Skyline I

P-Rocket 450 Lumens OP Reflector The BC40 is definitely brighter than

Last edited:

pageyjim

Enlightened
The holster seemed to have been an afterthought. It wasn't in the original packaging but was included separately. Some advertising showed it while some did not. It is a nice holster, it does not fit well with the cigar ring attached but others have stretched the holster to make it fit better. I would call them and ask them about it. Maybe ask them to include it with your next order or something.

JNieporte

Enlightened
The holster seemed to have been an afterthought. It wasn't in the original packaging but was included separately. Some advertising showed it while some did not. It is a nice holster, it does not fit well with the cigar ring attached but others have stretched the holster to make it fit better. I would call them and ask them about it. Maybe ask them to include it with your next order or something.

I'm not too worried about it. I carry mine on duty with a retrofitted MagLite C-cell ring. I took the BC40 outside to an area where I have a clear line of sight in a 250-yard field and let it rip. (Sorry no beamshots, camera was acting up.) It lights up about 80% of the entire field, and throws as far as my Skyline I but without the concentrated hotspot. I can easily identify a person (who they are, not just what they're wearing) at about 300 yards with my naked eye with the Skyline, and at about 230 yards with the BC40.

Here's the BC40 making my keys a little harder to lose...
002-99.jpg

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice keychain light :) I see you got a universal key for a box of cola on there :)
Imo. the bc40 got the perfect ui and is cheap. Will be fun to see how long i can resist it.

JNieporte

Enlightened
Nice keychain light :) I see you got a universal key for a box of cola on there :)
Imo. the bc40 got the perfect ui and is cheap. Will be fun to see how long i can resist it.

The pop can top has sentimental value, otherwise it's just a piece of aluminum. It's from the first can of soda my wife got me LOL. You'll also find a handcuff key, weapons locker key, tool shed key, one key that opens all four locks on my back door, gun vault key, and a key that opens both lock to my Forbidden Closet of Mystery (where I keep the good stuff).