Art drawn with a flashlight

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
First off....I did not do this....but it is totally awesome.
I think it was done with a long exposure and a light of some sort. I found it on a graffiti forum I also read. There are a few other pictures in the set that use long exposure with light to get other effects, but this is one of the coolest I think.

http://www.stencilrevolution.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28772&st=2310

img6515.jpg

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This technique has been around for quite a long time. Perhaps the most famous examples are the photos made by Gjon Mili in 1949 of Pablo Picasso drawing in the air in a dark room and first published in Life Magazine.

Pablo Picasso's Flashlight Centaur

From LIFE MAGAZINE:

"Renowned LIFE photographer Gjon Mili, a technical genius and lighting innovator extraordinaire, visited Pablo Picasso in the South of France in 1949. Mili showed the artist some of his photographs of ice skaters with tiny lights affixed to their skates, jumping in the dark -- and Picasso's lively mind began to race. This series of photographs, since known as Picasso's "light drawings," were made with a small flashlight or "light pencil" in a dark room; the images vanished almost as soon as they were created. However, while the "Picasso draws a centaur in the air" photo is rightly celebrated and famous, many of the images in this gallery are far less well-known -- and equally thrilling."

picasso3.jpg

picasso2.jpg

picasso4.jpg

picasso1.jpg
picass1.jpg
picass01.jpg

More at this link:
http://www.life.com/gallery/24871/image/50695728#index/0+
picasso1.jpg
picasso1.jpg

Last edited:

USRobinson

Newly Enlightened
WOW! I have been searching for ages how these pictures are made, I always though that this was some form of computer animation... but I asume that this requires some form of specialized camera?

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
WOW! I have been searching for ages how these pictures are made, I always though that this was some form of computer animation... but I asume that this requires some form of specialized camera?
it doesn't. the camera needs to be able to take pictures with long enough exposure, ideally it should have a manual control but if it's dark enough most cameras should work.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with this a while back. The key word is MULE.

My son's name is TJEUKE. I even dotted the 'j' pretty well, if I do say so myself.

tjeuke.jpg

A flashlight used for this should provide a uniform point light source for which angle effects on brightness are minimal. Thus, a McGizmo Mule is the ideal light for this.

monkeyface.jpg

Love the Picasso pictures. I never knew.

These were done with a simple digital point and shoot that has a 15 second exposure setting (set on a window sill), one incan lamp in the shot, and a McGizmo mule set at either medium or high. The 2nd picture contains three approx. 0.5s flashes from the mule.

obi

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Ezo points out, the technique has been around for some time. I used to do similar tricks w/ film pics using flashlights, sparklers, torches and colored gels, a lot of fun but also a lot of work. Todays digital cameras [for the most part] lack a shutter lock [the old T setting] so you could work for 5 - 30 minutes on a single shot.

HKJ

Flashaholic
There is some very impressive pieces drawn with flashlights. My avatar pictures is also done this way, but it is not that impressive.

MWClint

Enlightened
pretty sweet.
normally when doing these light art drawings, you would still see a blurred image of the body/arm as it moves the light source. His pics do not, which is added coolness. :thinking:

thinking about it..(without trying to photoshop the image..because thats too easy)...
he's starting the light drawings in a pitch black room(ambient lighting off), so you cannot see his body, and then someone else is flicking on/off a light source at desired intervals to capture a quick "still" of his body/arm/background during or at the end of the process.

HKJ

Flashaholic
he's starting the light drawings in a pitch black room(ambient lighting off), so you cannot see his body, and then someone else is flicking on/off a light source at desired intervals to capture a quick "still" of his body/arm/background during or at the end of the process.

An easy and controlled way to do it is with a flash. The easy and controlled part is because you simply does a couple of exposures first to find the best setting of the flash. Then you can do the light drawing and each time you trigger the flash you get a perfectly exposed still frame.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
An easy and controlled way to do it is with a flash. The easy and controlled part is because you simply does a couple of exposures first to find the best setting of the flash. Then you can do the light drawing and each time you trigger the flash you get a perfectly exposed still frame.

HKJ is basically correct here, but in today's world it is easy to lose sight of what Gjon Mili accomplished back in 1949. It was no accident that LIFE Magazine referred to him as "a technical genius and lighting innovator extraordinaire". Back in those days photographers did not have electronic flash. Of course, they did not have digital cameras and many didn't even use light meters. In fact, in the early 1950's some photographers were still even using forms of flash powder or arc lamps to do "flash photography". Harold Edgerton invented the strobe light in 1931 but it remained in scientific laboratory use until many years later. Mili probably used magnesium flash bulbs which were expensive enough not to pop them off for test shots too often. In those days one didn't "do a couple of exposures first to find the best setting for the flash" because if nothing else, when on location you would have to develop the film to see what you were going to get even if he were willing to waste the flash bulbs. Even if he were not shooting in the dark, "syncronized" flash was not a common thing back in those days, so photographers had to time their shutter just right and use slow speeds.

Gjon Mili would have relied on his experience and knowledge to judge how to set his aperture and when to set off the flash. He would have had his camera on a tripod and allowed Picasso the spontaneity to do his "light drawing" in the dark and then set off one or more flashes when he thought it was the right time.

While today, what Mili did might seem interesting, amusing or trivial but in his day he was pushing the limits of what was being done with photography at the time and even today they are remarkable images. I am struck by the fact that Picasso's light drawings have a certain three dimensional quality, especially in the Minotaur drawing; one never seems to see this in other attempts at this technique.

P.S. Kudos to Flying Turtle for his impressive image! It makes me smile. And to HKJ also for his avatar!

Last edited:

USRobinson

Newly Enlightened
what do you mean by long enough exposure... is the just placing your standard digital camera on night lights or something?

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
These pictures were taken with exposures long enough to do the drawing with the light probably 2-5 minutes. Only the high end digital cameras are capable of this. I have a cannon G9 and the longest expose it has (in hte manual section) is 30 seconds, I think.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recall who it was, but someone had a picture of them drawing something in the desert with a flashlight, but they had to leave. I don't remember why they had to leave (a coyote, the police, a skunk) but there were some cool pictures in that thread.

Xacto

Enlightened
What a great thread. Now we can even argue that flashlights can create art!
Although I do like the different "Show your XYZ light" threads around here, the pictures in this thread are by far the most impressive ones.

Reminds me of my third year in school when we had a picture in a book of someone forming a "U" with a flashlight. My teacher actually thought the girl in the picture was holding some kind of rope until I explained to here that it is a flashlight and a longer exposure.

Fast forward some 20 years to the mother of an Ex of mine. We saw long exposure pictures of some busy streets and she actually thought that was some kind of elaborate trick, I had really a hard time convincing here that it is merely a picture that got exposed long enough. Seems that she had a problem virtually connecting the dots (of car head and rear lights) to what they look like when they move...

Cheers
Thorsten