New Olight M20S2 spec ops lockout function

IntheWoods

Newly Enlightened
Guys just picked a new Olight M20S after doing some lengthy research.

The light functions well and is very bright, but I can't seem to activate the lockout function. Every spec sheet states it has this function, although I can find no review that mentions it.

Nothing in the manual that came in the box.

The original M20 manual says to rotate the tail cap 180 degrees to activate the lockout function, similar to other lights of this type. This does absolutely nothing to mine. Neither does unscrewing the tail cap to any degree, except completely off and removing the batteries.

Can anyone help before I have to send it back?

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Newly Enlightened
hey I have this same issue, I emailed olight after I saw your thread and this is the response, top is the most recent:

Dear Justin,

Good day for you!

Our M20S have the locking function.Loosen the tail to lock the light,then tighten the tail to unlock it.
As you said the M20S you purchased didn't have this function,may be it was a abrasion of oxide layer,so the locking function doesn't work.

Please contact with the dealer where you buy the torch from for fixed it.

Any question of our product,please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Eileen Peng,

Olight Technology Co.,limited
Tel 86 755 2346 3312
Fax 86 755 2346 3537
Mobile 86 134 2898 8532
Skype supeileen

ME: Re: m20 light lock-out?

Not really, I was reading and it's advertised that the light with "lock" so it won't accidentally come on, also saw a site that said to untwist the tail a certain amount to prevent the light from operating (the locking feature). It seems to me that the info advertising this, is just misinformation from other models and that the M20s S2 does not have a Locking feature to prevent the light from accidentally coming on. Was wondering if this model is supposed to have that feature or not?

Dear Justin,

Good day for you!Thanks for your email!

I'm not sure your meaning,do you mean you that you didn't turn on the light,but when you swirling the tail,and the torch will automatically turn on right?

Please feel free to contact us for any question.

Best Regards,
Eileen Peng,

ME:
Hi, I just recently purchased an Olight M20S S2 340lum, and was wondering how to activate the tail lockout? I've tried untwisting the tail, light will turn on even before starting the threads.

Thank you for your help,

Justin

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I honestly do not think that the M20 S2 locks out in the way that previous models of the M20 do. Suffice to say that mine will not lock out from the tail either.

Fact is that the tail cap threads do not appear to be anodised, as neither are the body threads for the tail cap. If the two parts are screwed together, then you have electrical contact between the threads. Simple as that. Same goes for the head end - both the head threads and the body threads for the head appear to be bare aluminium, so no isolation there. If the light is assembled, it will turn on.

I can only assume that the details from one M20 model to the next have just been transposed in the literature, without thinking them through fully.

I just cannot see how twist lockout can occur unless one of the threads is anodised.