Joel's Tactical Flashlight

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened
Wow, lot's of knowledge to absorb here, but I'm going to jump in and reveal my ignorance.

The neighborhood has reached the point that I've decided to buy a 12 gauge pump shotgun, learn to use it, and keep it under the bed.

Seems like a light on the shotgun to illuminate and startle the perp would be a good idea, might even be enough to send him packing.

So..

1) I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: It looks like you could spend as much as the shotgun (~$200) on the light, but I wouldn't want to do that unnecessarily. I really came in here to try and understand the differences between a $20 light and a $100 light.

3) Format: Something about the form factor of a 2 AA flashlight.

5) Emitter/Light source: Bright

7) What battery type do you want to use? I'm comfortable with AA & AAA. The bright tactical lights (whatever tactical means) seem to use CR123's.

Since I don't plan to use it often (hopefully never) my concern is that it works when I need it. I'm thinking that I'll go to the range & fire a few rounds monthly and that would be good time to check the light also.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Startle and illuminate an intruder.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Max 25 yards, would be nice if the beam were tight enough to use as general aiming aid.

10) Runtime: At least 30 minutes from the last time I checked & thought the batteries were OK.

11) Durability/Usage: Needs to survive going to the range on a 12 gauge.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply): Simple & unconfusing. Tail mounted one click on, one click off seems the most straightforward.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

14)Material/Finish/Coating - see #11

15) Special Needs/extras:

More of a recap:
A. It has to come on when I need it to come on. With AA's, AAA's I can check monthly and replace at the (?) 80% level. With rechargeables I would swap monthly. Don't know much about these CR123s.
B. Bright & tight enough to startle & illuminate at 25 yards.
C. Mountable on a 12 gauge & survive going to the range.

Thanks for any input.

Joel

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
"7) What battery type do you want to use? I'm comfortable with AA & AAA. The bright tactical lights (whatever tactical means) seem to use CR123's.

Since I don't plan to use it often (hopefully never) my concern is that it works when I need it. I'm thinking that I'll go to the range & fire a few rounds monthly and that would be good time to check the light also."

Welcome to CPF. AA/AAA's "long term storage" and "works when I need it" is an oxymoron. Go the CR123 route and save yourself the time and head-ache. Put them in there this year and the light will fire right up in 2021 as if they were brand-new. (AA lithiums will work for this just as well as the CR123 route, BUT, the CR123's give you more energy for the size/weight (3.35 {~3 under-load} volts compared to the AA Lithiums 1.85 {~1.65 under load})...so, going the CR123 route, you can have a MUCH brighter light in roughly the same sized package. You can get a Surefire G2L (no finish to scratch up except the bezel) and a Malkoff Drop-in for right at about $100-~$110 on the Market-place. This is, hands down, the BEST "cheap route". It's the cheapest you can get while still having 99% reliability. Also, swap the G2 tail-cap (i.e. sell it) and use the funds to purchase a Z48 clicky, since you mentioned you prefer clickies...but, you may be fine with the twisty, so you should try that first.

Hope this helps, and again, Welcome!

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the gun really...and since most shotguns don't come equipped with picatinny rails, two mounts are usually required, so I'll list what I know (and trust) as two types:
A=Shotgun mount; Allows you to mount a light mount to your boom-stick
and
"B"=Light Mount; Allows you too mount a light to your shot-gun mount.

A)
-Streamlight makes a mount that goes between the mag cap and the forend of the 870. MAY work on other models.
-Buffer Technologies makes a magazine mount that attachesto the magazine (you have too have an extended magazine to use this model).

B)
-Surefire M79 for 1" Bodied lights (6P/G2, etc.); Best option, since it allows you too make minor adjustments for slight variances in bodydiameter.
-Viking Tactics Mount (Newer models have "spacer" rings that allow it to be used with 1" {P-Series} and .8" {E-Series})
-GG&G
-ATI

Just a few examples. The mounting options for non-870 Shot-Guns is very limited, and you'll liekly have to get a generic "one size fits all" set-up for any other type of shotgun.

Hope this helsp!

Last edited:

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened
You can get a Surefire G2L (no finish to scratch up except the bezel) and a Malkoff Drop-in for right at about $100-~$110 on the Market-place. This is, hands down, the BEST "cheap route". It's the cheapest you can get while still having 99% reliability.

Thank you for the jump start.

I've been looking at BigWaffles runtime charts and I'm now sold on the Malkoff M61 (replaces the M60?)

So I'll start looking for a G2L at a good price & save my pennies for the M61.

Joel

Roger999

Enlightened
Thank you for the jump start.

I've been looking at BigWaffles runtime charts and I'm now sold on the Malkoff M61 (replaces the M60?)

So I'll start looking for a G2L at a good price & save my pennies for the M61.

Joel
You must get the old 80 lumen G2L, the new 120 lumen G2L comes with a head that cannot be disassembled(as in you can't put a new Malkoff dropin inside). Another option is getting a incandescent Surefire 6P and swap it out for a Malkoff.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
IMHO, you should also get a pressure switch. You'll have both hands full trying to operate a 12ga pump. It just doesn't make sense to remove one hand to activate the light. You can mount the switch so it's easy to activate. Light will only stay on while switch is held. I have this setup on my 12ga pumper and it works real nice.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you can see an L4 mounted with a Surefire M78 mount (for E-Series) attached to the Buffer Technologies Magazine mount. This put's it in the perfect position to temporarily switch/or click it on (mines set-up for left-handed use), which wouldn't be too much to handle in a home-defense scenario. It's almost second nature with even just a little practice. Tactical use ti's probably impractical...which is why I have the dedicated fore-end below it.

HPIM0461.jpg

Here's a G2L shown in the Viking Tactics Mount...not ideal for a boom stick, but can be made to work.

HPIM0432.jpg

6P Mounted w/ a 1" scope ring to the Buffer Tech.

HPIM0424.jpg

HPIM0425.jpg

Just a few of the options...

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened
I got so obsessed with flashlights after I wondered in here that I almost forgot the shotgun.

I've got a Surefire 6P original on order & plan to order the Maverick 88 next week. Once I have both in hand and a few rounds through the shotgun I'll think about the Malkoff and mounting.

Joel

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened

Welcome to CPF. AA/AAA's "long term storage" and "works when I need it" is an oxymoron. Go the CR123 route and save yourself the time and head-ache. Put them in there this year and the light will fire right up in 2021 as if they were brand-new. (AA lithiums will work for this just as well as the CR123 route, BUT, the CR123's give you more energy for the size/weight (3.35 {~3 under-load} volts compared to the AA Lithiums 1.85 {~1.65 under load})...so, going the CR123 route, you can have a MUCH brighter light in roughly the same sized package. You can get a Surefire G2L (no finish to scratch up except the bezel) and a Malkoff Drop-in for right at about $100-~$110 on the Market-place. This is, hands down, the BEST "cheap route". It's the cheapest you can get while still having 99% reliability. Also, swap the G2 tail-cap (i.e. sell it) and use the funds to purchase a Z48 clicky, since you mentioned you prefer clickies...but, you may be fine with the twisty, so you should try that first.

OK. I ordered the Surefire 6P from Amazon and just received The G2 Nitrolon (incandescent). So I'm a surprised and happy camper. I thought P6 and G2 were different flashlights.

Next is the Malkoff.

Well, maybe not next. This place is a disease. My wish list is growing and I've decided to ration myself to one order a month.

Thank you again for the words of wisdom.

Joel

Roger999

Enlightened
OK. I ordered the Surefire 6P from Amazon and just received The G2 Nitrolon (incandescent). So I'm a surprised and happy camper. I thought P6 and G2 were different flashlights.

Next is the Malkoff.

Well, maybe not next. This place is a disease. My wish list is growing and I've decided to ration myself to one order a month.

Thank you again for the words of wisdom.

Joel
If you ordered a 6P and received the G2, then the seller sent you the wrong light, they are different lights, the 6P is Aluminium, and the G2 is made of Nitrolon(doesn't work as well with high powered LED dropins).

joelmyer

Newly Enlightened
If you ordered a 6P and received the G2, then the seller sent you the wrong light, they are different lights, the 6P is Aluminium, and the G2 is made of Nitrolon(doesn't work as well with high powered LED dropins).

But,... I wanted the G2 based on AOW's recommendation & couldn't find one so I ordered the Surefire S/F Flashlight (Black) which was described as a P6. So as I said I'm a surprised & happy camper.

I've also decided that my one order a month doesn't apply to hot deals under $20.

What do you'll know/think about a Solarforce 300Lms R2 Cree Led Bulb 4 Surefire 6P 9P G2 ?

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Since your life could potentially depend on it, I think you should do things right and go for a Malkoff. Also consider that you might not want the absolute brightest LED dropin for a home defense light. With the night-adapted vision you would have in the middle of the night, 240 lumens can momentarily impair your vision, too. You might be better served with the M61L, or even M61LL.

Latest posts