Best Maglite 3D LED?

LeJerk

Newly Enlightened
I read a few threads about the new LEDs in the 3 D-cell Maglites and I was wondering what the best version is. I already have an incandescent flashlight with a color scheme I like, so I was wondering if I could just get one of the new ones and replace the LED with the one I like.

Alternatively, what is the best bang for the buck replacement LED for this model flashlight?

Last question, the TerraLUX TLE-6EX says it only works int he 4-6 D cell model. Why won't it work in my 3-D cell?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Mag led drop in
You should always try searching the forum before posting a new thread, your question has been covered in many past threads, the link I've proved should answer one of your questions, I'll leave you to look for the rest.
Use the Google search at the top of the page.
Norm

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

TerraLUX TLE-6EX works in the 4-6 D cell model. The buck circuit drops the voltage to that required by the LED.
TerraLUX TLE-6EXB works in the 2-3 D cell model. The boost circuit raises the voltage to that required by the LED.

Most of the other bulb type drop ins are probably not worth getting unless you are after long runtime instead of brightness.

-

This one is all flood.
Budget Showerhead drop-in for Mag. Fusion 36, now available in warm.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277748-Budget-Showerhead-Mag-Drop-in.

-

What is the serial number of your Mag?
If it is just a number or starts with DL, this will not work.
If it starts with a D you can get the malkoff Drop-In Module for 3-6 D-Cell to fit Mag-Lite

-

The brightest is a P7 (or MCE or SST50 or XML) Mag.
You will have to build this yourself.
How To Mod a Maglite P7 - 38 PICS
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS

LeJerk

Newly Enlightened
I actually want to upgrade 2 of my 3 D-cell incandescent flashlights. I have a brand new 2 D-cell donor LED light and can't seem to get the LED out of the light like the icandescent bulb comes out of the old one.

I did a search for "remove led 2d cell" and across 3 pages didn't see a post about it. So how do I remove the LED in the new one?

The serial # of one of the older lights I want to upgrade starts with D302

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LED doesn't come out, you have a newer light (serial number would start with DL). No real need to upgrade it, it's pretty good as-is.

Also, 2-cell LED modules won't work in a 3-cell light unless it's universal. Different circuitry, 2-cell needs boost and 3-cell needs buck.

LeJerk

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks for the info. There is a place where I live that sells the TerraLUX LEDs and I think the Nite Ize brand. Too bad the LED in the 2 D cell light can't come out. I called Mag and they said it's non-replaceable :(

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is indeed non-replaceable. Why would you want to take it out anyways? I've heard of people putting 2D cell LED modules into the 2AA Mini Maglite for better performance, but that's about it.