Differences in Surefire Z59s... What???

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 Surefire Z59's... each one completely different from the others...

3 are gloss
1 is matte
1 is longer than the others
2 have vent holes around the switch boot and 2 don't

IMG_6356_1024x768.jpg

IMG_6350_1024x768.jpg

IMG_6347_1024x768.jpg

Anyone ever notice any discrepancies in their Z59s or Z58s like this?

Shao

Note: I don't believe any of these to be counterfeit as they either came from Surefire, or were purchased from reputable dealers.

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
In your last pic, where they are a different height, take a look at the switch on the inside. I have those two different ones as well, both coming directly from SureFire. The shorter one has "vent holes" around the switch boot where you can use snap ring pliers to unscrew the top, and thats how the switch comes out, whereas the taller is one solid piece of metal and the switch screws in from the inside. I believe the 2-piece switch with the holes around the boot is an older design because I received a taller Z59 recently from SureFires new production. The older Z59s had problems with the switches and I found that by taking them apart and cleaning the grease out and relubricating with silicon oil it fixed all problems with the older Z59. The newer one has been problem-free thus far.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured maybe the ones with the "vent" holes were newer, to prevent catastrophic light explosion do to mismatched cells. But I guess it wouldn't make much sense to vent the explosion back into your face/thumb....