Hi, First Post and Problem with Thrunite Catapult XML

F1em

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPFers, this is my first real post so I apologize if I am in the wrong section or if I do anything that may offend you.

Ok, so I'm just gonna go straight into it. I bought a Thrunite Catapult XML hearing nothing but praise about it. I think it's pretty awesome. I have never seen such a bright flashlight.

The other day, however, I had it tailstanding for awhile, it just lights us a room better than any other of my lights, and eventually it shut off. I checked the batteries with my other flashlight that ran on 18650s. I don't own a voltmeter. The batteries were fine, and the Catapult wasn't even hot or warm, it just would not stay on.

I left it alone for a day and then grabbed it, hoping it would work. It did, for about 3 seconds until it flickered and turned off. The longest I can manage to keep it on is about a half a second now.

I am using AW 2200 18650s and I bought the Catapult from Going Gear 3 or 4 months ago, maybe longer. The Catapult hasn't taken close to anything that could be considered a beating. Not even a scratch on it.

I cleaned my threads but couldn't think of anything else to do. Could anybody offer some advice?

Thank you all for the help in advance

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, F1em :)

As the Catapult utilises a LED, I'll move your thread next door to LED Flashlights.

Glock27

Enlightened
You either need to get a volt meter or sell the light and charger. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but you shouldn't even attempt Li-Ion without a meter.

G27

P.S. Welcome to CPF
F1em!

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
You either need to get a volt meter or sell the light and charger. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but you shouldn't even attempt Li-Ion without a meter.

G27

P.S. Welcome to CPF
F1em!

I agree, in this hobby you REALLY do need a multimeter. Take off the tail cap and jump the battery negative to the light body with a paper clip/key/coin/wire and see if it stays on. If it does then the tail cap is not working good, if it still shuts off then you are at a stop until you can get the proper tools. (Sorry, that's all I got)

F1em

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies even though they made me realize I have been making a dangerous mistake.

I tested the tailcap theory, and it wasn't the problem, but now I can't seem to get the light to turn on at all... paperclip or tailcap. Did I do something wrong with this paperclip battery jumping or did my batteries just die... I see why you stress the voltmeter now.

So, are there any voltmeters you would recommend for a not super serious flashlight enthusiast as myself?
And once I do purchase said meter, what would be the next step in finding out this problem?

Thanks again. This is very helpful

Last edited:

F1em

Newly Enlightened
ha. I'm such a noob... I got some 123s and realized the problem was the batteries and not the light. I always said I wouldn't be one of those people that just posts for the slightest problems. I apologize and thank you all for your time. I will get a voltmeter so this will surely not happen again. Sorry everbody

Latest posts