Spark Mod Screw-up... HELP!

kevinm

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I decided to mod my Spark ST5-150cw and unscrewed the pill. Except that it doesn't uncrew!:thumbsdow

There are three leads: 2 on the switch (one with no wire) and one red one for the positive. The problem is there is no wire on the board. One of the spots where a wire came loose (I think) goes directly to an IC marked 02KV. I think that SHOULD be the +. There's another that goes to a capacitor. Then, there is a third that connects the the GND and the outside of the pill. My thought is that the switch connects the ground to the capacitor. Does this sound right to you EE guys?

Also, how do you get a switch like this out? It looks just like the ring that holds the Zebralight lens.

Thanks,
Kevin the Dumb

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Re: Spark Mod Screw-uo... HELP!

Okay, I figured out the wiring. Now I need to get that switch ring off. Anyone know how to do that?

vtunderground

Enlightened

Okay, I figured out the wiring. Now I need to get that switch ring off. Anyone know how to do that?

I don't think you can, not without destroying it.

Do you have any pictures of the inside the light? That might help.

kevinm

Enlightened

I hope not!

Here are some images.

Switch:

View through the front with pill removed:

Another angle of the same:

View from the battery tube inside:

The pill screws in and has leads at the edge, which means that they get twisted as you screw it. I can't solder through the slot you see in the image above, which is the only other thing I can thing of.

Kevin

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened

Well, it's now grey and doesn't matter (irreliphant!). :hahaha: I wasn't able to get the switch out, so I found some stranded 30 gauge wire and went in through the front.

1. Removed half the threading on the module to reduce twisting.
2. Soldered the two switch leads there inside the body (HARD!).
3. Soldered these leads to the board (which is tiny and very dense; I had to move
a capacitor and a diode, then reattach).
4. Connected the positive to the lead in the head.
5. Pushed the pill in, carefully threading the wires into the space, keeping the positive
out through that little hole it the back.
6. Soldered the positive to the ring at the back through the battery tube.
7. Screwed the module the rest of the way in.
8. REPEATED THE WHOLE PROCESS 6 TIMES BEFORE THE WIRES ALL HELD!!!!!

Total time: 4 hours. :ohgeez:

So...if any of you want to swap the emitter in your Spark, just remove the bezel and glass and go in through the front. It's far and awkward with an iron, but WAY easier than the crap I did!:oops:

Oh, and if you want to do the swap, the board they use is 13mm by 1mm. I had to pull their LED off of the board, replace it with one of my own, then do the swap.