Small Fenix TK41 Review/ Impressions

firelord777

Enlightened
Fenix TK41 REVIEW

I am sure that we are all familiar with the TK41's technical ratings, 800 lumens and blah blah blah. So I'll cut to the chase.

First impressions:
I literally could not contain my excitement in the post office, so I opened it up right there in front of everyone. Either no one noticed or I was glued to the TK41's surprisingly deep reflector. It was a bit bigger than I imagined. So on the way back home, I put on the lanyard and put some alkalines I had lying around. Half were almost dead, but it darn well lit up my dad's car in the middle of daylight! Loaded with batteries, it had some heft to it. I imagine you can hurt someone with the weight of it… or yourself LOL. Joking aside, I tried to get it into the strobe mode, then back, but then it just turned off. I was like: what the heck? Then I turned it back on, and after playing around a bit, realized that to go to strobe mode you have to have the flashlight on, then do the double click.
Tint:
On my TK41, My light does not have any green tinge to it at all, but rather a unique purple on its highest modes. Unique because when using outside, it has a neutral white effect. Good CRI, and I know because I own a Fenix TK20.
Beam:
I do not know how, but when I shine my TK41 (on low) against my TK20 on general at around 3-4 feet away, the beams are identical. Tight, thrower hotspot. But any range beyond that, the TK41's beam gets smaller than the TK20's. When I took it to take out the trash, it was almost indescribable, such a tight hotspot. I really dig this light.
Real World Usage/ possible situations
Ok, this is a tough one. For me, at this point, the TK41 is, well aimed for the outdoors. More of an Adventure/ Survival light. 10 day runtimes, at an amazingly bright level. Trust me, its ten lumens is more than enough to see a good 10-15 yards, proved it myself, with a bit of ambient lighting as well. Actually, 10 lumens is all in need to do anything around the house-general chores, stuff like that.
I was trying to decide between this light and the TK35. After realizing that I will not be able to use the TK35 in an extended powerout or something where I can't charge its 18650, I knew I had to go with the TK41.
A weird use for the TK41 is for use as a heater when you're cold. Immediately after I turn on the light on turbo, I can immediately feel a large amount of heat when I hold my hand 6 in. from the lense. Wow!
Overall, I am VERY satisfied with this light. It was what I have been looking for. Big, but I can manage to fit it in my pocket LOL. A true thrower, and only one known green tint XM-L incident. I don't know if it will be worth it for others, because I did not pay for mine. My dad paid for it for my birthday. We really are not rich at all, so he hoped I like it because it is a lot of money. $130 on Fenixgear.com. Fast shipping to here in Florida. 2 days, but it did not fit in my mailbox so I had to go pick it up at the post office the day after. Bummer. Well at least I finally got it. Its almost a month since my birthday. LOL, everyone asking to see my flashlight.

If you have ANY questions, DO NOT WORRY, I will be more than happy to address your inquiries regarding the light. I will try to post pictures later, as I have one more "powerful flashlight" that uses 2 18650 and 5 Q5 emmiters. But I do not promise anything.
Again, any questions, you know who to call. Also, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Please help me make my reviews better, this is my second "review" Not best, but ok I guess.
Best wishes, Firelord777

joey_1987

Newly Enlightened
I too have a TK41,
It is crazy bright with awesome throw as you already know. I am curious as to what tint yours has around the hotspot? My hotspot is white but the area around the hotspot is a greeny/browny tint which is an eyesore to me. Does yours exhibit any of this? It bugs me that there might be versions of the TK41 out there with good tint and I got a dud.

firelord777

Enlightened
On low, its a tinge (very little) blue hue. Corona looks white. On mid and high, yeah, I've never noticed but it has a not-noticiable-unless-you-look-for-it green tint to it on the outermost of the corona. Not noticable at all. On turbo though, its just pure white and an elegant purple hue on the outermost spill, no green or anything. Hope this helps.

GSMGuy

Newly Enlightened
Received my TK-41 today, as a replacement to my much loved TK-40...

I LOVE it - SO powerful, even compared to the '40.. Slight (nice) blue tint to the colour on low/med, but on high/turbo it's pure white, tight and gorgeous.....

Does get a bit warm though lol..

Mike

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
If you don't click the on/off button on mine hard enough, it clicks but does not shut off.
And my emitter is way off center. For a $100 light, this was pretty disappointing, I think I'll stick with budget lights from now on.

firelord777

Enlightened
If you don't click the on/off button on mine hard enough, it clicks but does not shut off.
And my emitter is way off center. For a $100 light, this was pretty disappointing, I think I'll stick with budget lights from now on.

I think yours is defective. Try returning it. I ordered mine from Fenix Gear.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just got a TK45 and am now tempted to get the TK41. One of the things I liked about the TK40 was the beacon mode and ability to run on 4AA if needed.

Does the TK41 have a beacon mode?

Have you tried running it on 4AA?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Does the TK41 have a beacon mode?

Have you tried running it on 4AA?

The TK41 does only have strobe and sos flashing modes, it can run on 4xAA, but it is probably a good idea not to use maximal brightness.

OP: any chance you might post pics of beam comparisons with the TK20?

The TK20 is not in league with the TK41, not even close. You can indirectly see the difference with these two beamshots:
TK20 & TK40.
TK40 & TK41

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK20 is not in league with the TK41, not even close. [/URL]

Oh, I know that (I own TK40 and TK20 among about a dozen Fenix lights) I'm just trying to understand your comment about the TK41 having a tighter hotspot at a certain distance since I would definitely say the TK40 has a much wider spot no matter how close or far I aim. Your comment made it sound like the TK41 would out throw the TK40 by much much more than a little...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Oh, I know that (I own TK40 and TK20 among about a dozen Fenix lights) I'm just trying to understand your comment about the TK41 having a tighter hotspot at a certain distance since I would definitely say the TK40 has a much wider spot no matter how close or far I aim. Your comment made it sound like the TK41 would out throw the TK40 by much much more than a little...

Did I say that? The TK41 has a smaller and brighter hotspot at any distance, but you need a bit of distance to really see the difference in hot spot size on pictures.
The TK41 will definitely outtrow the TK40 and it is easy to see when you have both lights besides each other, but if you use them with a few minutes between it will be much harder to see.

Here is another set of beamshots from the same collection (First TK40, second TK41):
DSC_7117.jpg

DSC_7118.jpg

It is difficult to see that the TK41 hotspot is smallest, but you can see that it is brightest, but the TK40 has more spill (These pictures are exposed to include more spill).

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

I might not have been clear in my last statement. I was referring to this statement of yours:

I do not know how, but when I shine my TK41 (on low) against my TK20 on general at around 3-4 feet away, the beams are identical. Tight, thrower hotspot. But any range beyond that, the TK41's beam gets smaller than the TK20's.

Do you really mean the TK41 has a smaller or similarily sized spot as the TK20? From what I see here (and in other pictures as well) the TK40 and TK41 seem to have similarily sized spots, but cameras can be tricky. I'll have to open the flashlight box later and double check, but I'm certain my TK20 has a spot half the size of the one my TK40 puts out at any distance, and not just because of the brightness difference, so if the TK41 is THAT much more focused than the TK40.... well.... we need someone with a range finder to tell us how far it lights... and I need to spank you for making me want one.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might not have been clear in my last statement. I was referring to this statement of yours:

I do not know how, but when I shine my TK41 (on low) against my TK20 on general at around 3-4 feet away, the beams are identical. Tight, thrower hotspot. But any range beyond that, the TK41's beam gets smaller than the TK20's.

Do you really mean the TK41 has a smaller or similarily sized spot as the TK20? From what I see here (and in other pictures as well) the TK40 and TK41 seem to have similarily sized spots, but cameras can be tricky. I'll have to open the flashlight box later and double check, but I'm certain my TK20 has a spot half the size of the one my TK40 puts out at any distance, and not just because of the brightness difference, so if the TK41 is THAT much more focused than the TK40.... well.... we need someone with a range finder to tell us how far it lights... and I need to spank you for making me want one.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not believe that I have made that statement. The above review is not my review, you can find my review in the review section.

Sorry about that, I had you confused with the OP... that will teach me to reply so fast...
Nice review BTW and your pictures make the difference in throw obvious, but the spot size does not look extremely different. That pretty much answers my questions :)

Someone said the reflector on the TK41 is deeper than the one on the TK40. What would you say?