Mini maglite questions

WinterAce

Newly Enlightened
Hello and good day!

I've been around abit but never signed up till now. Very nice place. Im hoping i can get some help before i visit the store this weekend.

Im planning on buying a 2AA mini mag led but i've noticed there is two of them. On one package it will just say led and on the other package it will say 3-WATT led. I was wondering which one is better and brighter?

right now i just have a dollar store 9led flashlight. it is good and all but i want something better and with more throw? Will the mini mag be a big difference to this?

So far they seem worth it and i have had a old non led one, but its just a shell now. Beam shots would be amazing and help alot.

Thanks in advance!:)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll want to get one that says Multi-Mode Operation on it (preferably with ANSI specs too, those are the latest version).

If it says 3-watt LED, it's an older model. If it says Multi-Mode but doesn't have ANSI specs, double-check to make sure there is a lanyard hole on the tailcap (the version without it is less reliable).

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
The minimag LEDs have great throw and brightness compared to generic multi-led lights. Compared to many super high-end LED lights today they aren't much, but they're still very decent. I think of my 2AA Multimode and 3AA 3watt as my first "quality" LED lights. I'm sure you'll be happy with a new Minimag LED, but maybe you should consider getting a more powerful light through the internet. They can get a lot better for not too much more money.:naughty:

rajalexi

Newly Enlightened
WinterAce, hello and welcome to CPF! I agree with Robin24k, the latest is the best. So the package with multi-mode and ANSI ratings would be the latest. I also agree with mwb01. Hopefully you are here because most of the members have owned a few flashlights and want to help while being helped, your money would be much better spent at a website like http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14 or http://www.batteryjunction.com/ . Don't get me wrong, if a decently bright, long, 2 X AA flashlight with a spotty beam pattern is what you are after, then it is a good flashlight and should give you years of service. I own 3 of the minimags(all 3 are cut down and modded though). But if something else fits the bill, there is a lot of really nice lights out there for the same price or a few dollars more. You can get smaller AND brighter in the same package if you want. But maybe that isn't what you want. Hopefully your questions were answered, and if you decide against the MiniMag drop us a line and tell us what you are after, members love to give opinions when they know what size, style, battery, and use you want.

Jamey

WinterAce

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! When looking on the package, what will the ANSI specs look like? (what am i looking for?). i think i know what they are but i just want to make sure. thanks again!

d1337

Enlightened
That last post was to show an image of the ANSI ratings. Hope that helps. Good luck.

WinterAce

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I got and I looked for those things. I got the led with lanyard hole and multiswitch but sadly it did not have the ANSI specs. It was the third store I went to and this one is the only one which had the one I got. Lol but it is awesome. I like it alot. Thanks!

WinterAce

Newly Enlightened
hey, today in walmart i noticed the flashlight described earlier with the specifications on it. mine is the one without that on the package but has a lanyard hole and is silver. is there a difference in the LED between them? lol thanks for helping a newbie out.