Official Maglight LED torch

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I recently attended a trade show in the UK where I spoke to the rep. for Burton Mccall (distributers of Maglites & Victorinox Knives). He told me that Mag Instruments are planning to develop a new torch using LED technology! Has anyone else heard any info on this?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of rumors......Still no LEDs though. Leave it to Mag to be the last company to actually produce an LED torch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The reason I was given for this was because they want an LED that will throw its beam over a long distance and still allow a focusing system like the current Maglites.
The rep I spoke to was quite confident of a new torch soon after the new year....

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
checkmate said:
The rep I spoke to was quite confident of a new torch soon after the new year....

[/ QUOTE ]

*which* new year? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll believe it when I see it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
Re: Official Maglight LED torch *DELETED*

Post deleted by snuffy

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened
No, no the rings are to small if you don't get it right this time your fired, and we will sue you for unauthorized product improving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

onelight

Enlightened
outlaw PETA is gonna git you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif how do we know the horse is really dead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humm-

You know alot of smart companies sit back and let others take the hit when entering an emerging technology. After they have gathered enough marketing info on what consumers don't like with the bleeding edge technology they step in with their Good name (???) and make a product that just kicks butt and solves all previous complaints.

Maybe Mag doesn't need to be the first, only the one with a product that solves all previous compalints with a name everyone knows?

GregR

(P.S. I am NOT a Mag fan)

Zigzago

Enlightened
From Mag's point of view, they really couldn't introduce an LED flashlight to the uninitiated mass market if it was less bright, couldn't focus and cost more. It's been said before, but CPF is not their target market. I'm sure they're working on something but are waiting for the technology and pricing to come into line.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between LEDCorp, the EverLED, Versalux PR-2 LED Bulb, MagmaLED, and some others, Mag must be having a hard time getting a patent (for exclusive rights and gonzo returns from litigation). The other thing may be that their sales are dropping, and have been. In my local Walmart, Mag's display are takes up less than 5 percent of allocated flashlight space. Brinkmann takes up more space than Mag.

Of course they may have enough individual customers wanting an LED product from them, that they decided it was worth getting into. Especially after the 8/14 blackout and hurricane Isabel.

I'm trying hard to be neutral here.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I get the feeling there's some behind the scenes discussion between Lumileds and M*g.

I think M*g will dip their toes into the market only when sufficient quantities of 3W Luxeons are available. I'm betting that when they come to market, it will be with a patented focusing system based on warm white 3W LEDs. This type of product would cause the least 'shock' to their established market.

I'm sure they're lamenting the departure of the profitable, short-lived incandescent bulb just like Kodak and Polaroid are looking at the good old days of silver-based film technology.

JJHitt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
In my local Walmart, Mag's display are takes up less than 5 percent of allocated flashlight space. Brinkmann takes up more space than Mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in Target it's MAG-CITY with only a tiny representation from Everready. I wonder if Mag doesn't give incentives to retailers if they can be the 'only car on the road' in the flashlight aisle.

Hats off to Wally World.

Empath

Flashaholic
From strictly a business decision, tying oneself down to a proprietary system, and dependency on a single source manufacturer such as Lumileds isn't the best situation. Higher powered LED lamps must become available from more than one manufacturer, particularly in light of disregard for quality control.

From Maglite's viewpoint, the reference to their LED lights must be in regard to being Mag, not Luxeon. I can't say that I blame them. The term Mag LED is probably okay with them. The term Mag Luxeon probably isn't.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QC problems at Lumileds, is probably what has delayed Mag Instruments entry in to the LED light market. Be assured that they DO pay attention to what goes on here at CPF.

The inventor must be livid, seeing all the people improving his products.