• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD:5x U Bin XM-L Mag infinite levels of brightness!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone :wave:

New 2D Mag host
Bororfloat lens
5 x U bin XM-L emitters
2 x Blue shark boost circuits
2 x Shark heat sinks
20K potentiometer UI for infinite levels of brightness.
Recessed tail spring and sleeve for 2x 26650s ( batteries NOT included).

This light turned out to very neat and clean looking IMO, there is one very slight imperfection and its on the outside edge of the reflector module, as you can see there is a bit of tarnish on the flat part. The inside of the actual reflectors is perfect though.

The knob on the pot also has a slot for a trit.

Brightness can be adjusted from about 0- max just like a volume knob. A steady hand can dial it down to about 2 lumens on low ( although typically it comes in at around 20 ish but I dialed it back to see how low I could really get it :eek:oo:).

Here is a shot VS my Quark AA2 on Moonlight.

Now for some outdoor shots.

First up SST-90 on high (about 6 amp).

Now the 5 XML Mag

Price is 285$ shipped!SOLD

If you dont have cells ahd a charger I can add 2 26650s and a 1.8A charger for 49$ more.

PP is vesture_of_blood(@)hotmail.com

Last edited:

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
Re: FS:5x U Bin XM-L Mag infinite levels of brightness!

Great build. That dimmer switch is the bomb.

xed888

Enlightened

im always inpressed by your creations. Well done mate! Out of curiosity, what amperage is being pushed to each LED? And how many lumens are you predicting for this?

Also, how much is shipping to the UK?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the comments guys.

Each emitter is driven to 1.78 amps on full blast. So if I am not mistaken theoretical output should be between 3000 and 3500.

I will cover the cost of shipping, however if an overseas buyer wants to send a few extra dollars I would ship express. Its not only faster its much safer, and its the only way to get tracking outside the US.

Epsilon

Enlightened

Very nice build, good luck with the sale :).

Chrisdm

Enlightened

Let me know if you ever make one in black or grey, I'll take one if you do.

copperfox

Enlightened

You were able to fit FIVE blue sharks and a pot in there? Must be pretty cramped.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Chrisdm, I probly wont make another of the 5s. Too much time and money in on this one. When my next batch of materials comes in I'll let you know, maybe we can work something out. Thank you for your offer.

Copperfox, The light has 5 XMLs and 2 sharks, even that is a tight squeeze, 5 sharks would be a miracle :)

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take it!, as per our PM.
Thanks.

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened

I must have I misread your post. :ohgeez:

RCantor

Enlightened

I'll take 1 in neutral! Surely you're going to mass produce these, right?!?! How long can it run on high? Great creation!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice job!

Didn't know blue shark can be paralleled, is it simple parallel wiring or do you have to do some tricks, or disable one trimmer?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey thanks ma,

Its basically a simple parallel, but I am guessing that at least one of the pots needs to be removed and a jumper used ( both of mine were removed because I used the external) so the drivers are in sync.

I ran bat + and - to both and led + and - to both ( although there may be another way, I just wasnt sure if there was an easier way to slave) then did the pot to one with a jumper to the slave.

There is a diagram and some other good info here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...A-dimming-pot-3-X-17670-beamshots-added/page3

Justin Case and LED Ninja were a great help to me, Wayne from the shop also gave me some input here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?105492-Some-questions-about-the-Shark-driver

Another thing I read in one of Techjunkies threads is when doing mods with multiple sharks its important to test each one individually before assembling them together.

I like that shorty Franken mag you did the other day BTW. When I first walked into the thread I thought it was a sale till I couldn't find the price LOL.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast

You want to test each Blue Shark before wiring multiple Blue Sharks together in parallel because the Blue Sharks are not short circuit protected. If one of the Blue Sharks is defective such that it is shorted to ground, then that defective driver will take out the other ones as well. That can be an expensive Domino effect, in addition to being a major league hassle to re-work the fried build.

If you are ordering Blue Sharks for a multiple driver build, then order the drivers without the trim pot. If you already have Blue Sharks, then you need to remove the trim pots to install the external pot and to connect the Blue Sharks together. There are many ways to de-solder multi-legged devices, but I found it easiest in the Blue Shark case to use two soldering irons to remove the trim pot.

For the external pot, make sure that it measures at least 20Kohms. If it measures less than that, you won't get full drive current output. Actually, technically, the external pot should measure at least the same resistance as resistor R6 (which is nominally a 20K resistor). So, if you really want to get down to fine details, get your Blue Shark first, measure R6, and then order the appropriate external pot. If the external pot resistance is greater than R6, no big deal as long as the difference isn't excessive. Higher pot resistance means that the driver will max out in brightness before the pot knob reaches max. This should not be an issue as long as the pot resistance isn't something ridiculous like 50K. Something like 21K or 22K should be fine. I used a Panasonic log pot from Digikey. The specs are fairly loose -- something like 20% tolerance. Thus, a 20K nominal pot in theory could be 16K or 24K. I ordered 3 or 4 just in case. Fortunately, all of them measured around 20K +4K/-0.2K. So you might choose to save some money, roll the dice, and buy just one log pot. Or find one with tighter tolerances (Vishay-Dale typically has good stuff -- I didn't check them).

Before I mount Blue Sharks, I file the copper C flat first. Same with the SharkSinks -- I file them flat first. For both the copper C and SharkSink, I've found that they are typically not quite flat as-received.

When soldering your Vin, GND, LED+, and LED- wires to the Blue Shark, pay attention to the amount of wire that sticks out of the non-component side. You don't want the wires to stick out so far that they are taller than the copper C, which can risk a short against the SharkSink. I try to strip just enough insulation off the wires so that I can get a secure solder connection for the wires in the through holes.

Some other tips here.

Last edited:

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey VOB,
Received the light today! What a beast! It lights up everything. The rain is not helping, but this is one bright light.
Great build.
Thanks again. Fast shipping, too.