ARC R-G-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rumors about a small run of R-G-B sequencers in Arc AAA's have me drooling. Any chance you can tell us more about it (and when we can order) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne and Don are responsible for turning me on to this LED. They thought I should make a flashlight with it.

At this point, we proved it can be done in the Arc-AAA. The question is now, "should it be done". The RGB has almost no practical value as a tool. It is purely a toy. And since it is an Arc, it is a very tough toy. So it is odd. And expensive. So, I am not sure it would be a good thing for us to make. Thinking..

Peter

Connor

Enlightened
Hey Peter,

I wouldn't buy it the way it works now (auto-cycling thru all the colours), because it's just a nice - but useless - toy.
But I WOULD buy it, if you could change the logic of the microchip inside to this pattern:

Turn ON: <font color="red"> Red </font> -> Turn OFF -> Turn ON: <font color="green"> Green </font> -> Turn OFF -> Turn ON: <font color="blue"> Blue </font> -> Turn OFF -> Turn ON: White

THAT would be a really nice light! Fun and really useful, too.
BTW, how bright are the single colours compared to a standard Nichia 5mm LED?

-Connor

PS: The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. Wouldn't this be a really nice flashlight? 3 colours AND 'white' and all in one ARC AAA body?!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
connor--I like that idea! I just wonder how hard it would be for cycling through. very useful and I'd have my 2 favorite colors in one light (red and green).

Don't know how pattern and output would stack up to the colored Arcs I have now though.

-Jason

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only flash pattern option is the one shown. The chip inside the LED cannot be altered. Sorry.

Peter

rumar

Newly Enlightened
Great toy, but what is the total market (besides us in the CPF). Wait a minute, that could mean a couple thousand...

Connor

Enlightened
Peter,

maybe you could keep my idea in mind, I think quite some people would buy a 3 colour+white ARC AAA. If I'm not completely wrong there are RGB-LEDs (with more than 2 leads) on the market where the colours can be accessed seperately. All you had to do would be to build a board where it can rest on and add a simple microcontroller that cycles the colours, I guess? Should be relatively easy to accomplish, the only tweaking needed is the amount of time the LED has to be on after which the chip switches to the next colour on the next turn-on. Something like ~0.3 secs should do fine.

-Connor

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building the board would be a big issue for Arc ($$$).The RGB LED we are discussing is a standard 5mm (two leads) LED so that making it simply involves using that LED instead of Nichias.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the current switching mechanism (twist bezel for on/off) would be a real PITA to cycle through the colours. I dislike having to cycle through various modes, even with a regular push button switch, having to repeatedly twist that diddy little bezel would put me off completely. Too much effort for something with such limited utility.

Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Peter, a light with both white and red would be a very desirable tool for a pilot (for night flying) or an astronomer. The red light would not interfere with "night vision" when we need to see in the dark. The white light would be there when we need a bright light (to inspect an airplane, look for misplaced items, etc.).
Sounds like a very practical tool! I'm sure there are other professions that would find this configuration useful. Perhaps this should be considered for the new AA unit.

javafool

Enlightened
You can certainly count me in for at least a couple. I seem to be collecting quite a variety of ARC lights. Now that the kids are all grown I like my toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts