5mm LED Light to burn up those near dead 123's

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I've got a couple dozen 123 batts removed from Hi-power lights because they were nearly depleted.

To squeeze the very last bit of juice from them I'm looking for a 5mm LED light powered by only one(1) 123 cell.

Right now I'm using an old Streamlight Twin-Task single 123.

I asked Peak if they made something that had a few (1 to 3) yellow or amber 5mm LEDs powered off a single 123 cell. IIRC they mentioned that they had not found an Amber LED that met their requirements (?)

Why amber or yellow color LED's?

I figure the lower Vf would squeeze the last of any juice from these 123's and it seems to performs with less color issues than a red led.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
Why not just throw away the depleted CR123s? What is the point of draining them completely?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just throw away the depleted CR123s? What is the point of draining them completely?

Because they will often power my bedside light for 5-10 minutes a night for two months or more before they are dead-dead and it's wasteful to thrown them out when they have 20% left.

ETA:
This is an old habit when I first got my Surefire M6 (2001?) I was paying nearly $5 per SF123 and the M6 was burning up close to $30 worth of batteries for a hour of runtime. There is a noticeble drop as they get close to the end. Running an Incandescent at a low voltage is not good for the lamp. So they would be removed and replaced with fresh batts.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use a couple of the old bowling pin lights to drain CR123s. Then I got a red Inova X5 and that is THE light for draining single 123s.

Like you said, after my old Streamlight TL-2 LED wouldn't turn on, I'm guessing the cells would power low drain lights for another 30 or 40 hours.

I think I actually had an old brass Peak LED light that had three amber LEDs. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they made SOME amber LED lights. But mine was 1xAAA.

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use a couple of the old bowling pin lights to drain CR123s. Then I got a red Inova X5 and that is THE light for draining single 123s.

Like you said, after my old Streamlight TL-2 LED wouldn't turn on, I'm guessing the cells would power low drain lights for another 30 or 40 hours.

I think I actually had an old brass Peak LED light that had three amber LEDs. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they made SOME amber LED lights. But mine was 1xAAA.

Yep I've got a Peak powered off 1 AAA and uses 3 red leds, nice light but frankly the Amber or a yellow color would be more useful to me than the red, that's why I approached Peak a few years ago.

I've pulled out all my lights and I'm inventorying them. So far I've over $1600 worth of lights, Surefire being the majority with several E2e's, C3, and and E2W new unused in box. I need to get rid of some stuff.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me know if you need me to put pic's back up for ya Double-A, and Welcome to CPF!

Naw no pics needed I've moded my share of lights and should have thought of this sooner! I know I've seen a thread here on modding burnt out E series incandescent lamps.

I've got a E1e with an early KL1 head on it, no the KL1 won't get touched .... but I'm gonna look at the incandescent lamp & head for it. If it doesn't look like I can do a clean job with those lamps, the P60 in my seldom used G2 will get a hard stare.

Thanks for the welcome back! Good to see lots of old faces here.