Flashlight Contentment

avusblue

Enlightened
For the first time in months, I noticed that I have no flashlight related items "in transit" to or from buyers or sellers. Prior to this, like for the past year or so, I've been actively buying and selling lights almost continuously (cheers to CPF B/S/T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It seems like I've settled in on a few kinds of lights that I really like, to the exclusion of other kinds that I tried and liked less. And as such, I don't feel any burning itch to buy or sell anything right now -- I actually feel a new emotion for me, that I'll call Flashlight Contentment. I've been actually using and enjoying my lights, rather than jockeying them between what I like, what I want, what I want to sell, what I haven't yet tried. The nice thing about flashlights as a hobby is that you can buy, try, change your mind, sell, trade, etc, and its still (relatively) affordable.

Anyone else feeling the same kind of Flashlight Contentment? Can it be sustained? If so, how long did it last?

And here's the "keepers" (as evidenced by the fact that I own several of each, positioned in different places and applied for different needs). Notice that I've worked all incandescents out of my inventory:

SureFire L4 (Bright) -- 3
Arc LS (EDC) -- 2
Opalec MiniMag (Long Runtime) -- 3
CMG Infinity Ultra G w/ lithium (strategically positioned for occasional use) -- 4
Arc AAA (tiny) -- 2

I even sold my Space Needle II, that was fun but I just wasn't ever using it. I guess the one indulgence is my McLux TK that I'll always keep for its pure beauty and historical significance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

F.C. . . . . . Aaaaahhhhhh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

FNG

Enlightened
Lights Ive sold or given away:
Arc LSH-P #808
Inova X5-T
Mag 2C
Princeton Tec Attitude
Princeton Tec Aurora
Princeton Tec Rage
Princeton Tec Surge
Streamlight Scorpion

Lights Ive kept:
Arc AAA
Streamlight Twin Task 3C (arriving tomorrow, doubt ill let this one get away)
SureFire G2Z w/ P61
UKE 2L

Nothing wrong with PT lights, I just didnt have a need for them except the Aurora which I shouldve kept.

Catapult

Enlightened
Flashlights as a hobby is more affordable than most of my other hobbies. I can foresee this condition in myself in the future. Since flashlights are more affordable than many other things, it is possible to have one type of light in every level, therefore filling in every hole. Eventually, boredom may creep in and the need for new lights dissipate. That is when the need to clear out the ones that are not needed develop.

This is sort of like toys. Once outgrown, the unwanted stuff are thrown and the ones with use or have sentimental value remain. Then, the need for a different or new type of "toy" develops, and a new cycle begins.

At this time, I see flashlights as "toys" rather than legitiment tools because I have so many. Oh, yes, the feeling is diluted as the quantity is increased. This is not as much of a hobby as it used to be. Although I still plan to buy more in the future and also have one shipping to me as I type, I think I will receive what avusblue called "flashlight contentment". I still get a bit of a rush when a new light arrives, so I know I'm not there yet.

Catapult

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
OK ... Content for now, but what about when the SF L5 / L6 are released?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find yourself buying one (or two), then the cycle has restarted!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best I can tell, I've been searching for contentment since the late 70's early 80's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to the point of 'needs are met'. So, in a sense, I am content. Still, I like to try new things, and am eagerly awaiting the PT Yukon HL and Impact XL, and, next year: LS4.

It will be so nice to finally have an all LED 5mm/Luxeon headlamp, without needing to change lamp modules, like the Solo with Matrix Module for 5mm, and an everled in the normal incan module, as an example.

Cmoore

Enlightened
I thought that getting into flashlights would certainly be less expensive than being a knife nut. I'm no longer sure about this.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread. I am (sort of) content. There are such wonderful things coming, I want to bide my time for a bit.

3 Watters on the same platform as the present one watts. Increased lumens/watt, perhaps 30-40/watt. I HOPE, better quality control and binning. I want to be able to buy an LED Luxeon without having a nagging worry about the blasted thing being green, or purple, or simply DIM.

My son-in-law is so pleased to have a lot of so-so expensive lights dumped on him. He's in light heaven.

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
(cheers to CPF B/S/T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).
:

SureFire L4 (Bright) -- 3
Arc LS (EDC) -- 2
Opalec MiniMag (Long Runtime) -- 3
CMG Infinity Ultra G w/ lithium (strategically positioned for occasional use) -- 4
Arc AAA (tiny) -- 2

Your list with the addition of the L1 would be my keeper list. The L1 may change when the LS4 gets here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm especially pleased with my very FEW new flashlight acquisitions (have only bought just One flashlight in the last 7 months-because of $ shortage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Last year I averaged 2-3 new flashlight purchases per month. now that I necessarily have to buy less than I used to, I find that the "novelty" of the new light doesn't wear off anywhere near as quickly.

I'm really enjoying my Minimag-M³ with the MadMax+ Q3J even more than I would have otherwise, because I had to wait for awhile to get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm just about content.

I have a few ARC-AAA's for keyrings, a couple SF E2e's, a SF C3, SF M6 and a E1e/KL1, A firefly on order.

I will probibly put away the E1e/KL1, M6 and Firefly as collectables/showpieces. I believe early LED lights will have collectable value someday as early examples of a new technology, much as early computers now do.

I also have few mag lights, a few misc 4 AA cell lights -Stealth, UK4AA, Q40.

Several fluorescent lanterns for area lighting, I really like the Eveready folding model that uses 4-d's It will last for 4-5 days on a set of batts.

The only thing I really want, is the delayed ARC LS4. For an EDC light I wont accept anything less than absolute top quality. For me this means Surefire or ARC. The blackout back east convinced me of the absolute need for both a high brightness and low brightness adjustable LED light, which the LS4 will be. I may end up buying the E1e/KL4 combo but it is bigger than I want and isn't adjustable, so I may hold off and save my money.

This is what I have to cover my perceived needs...
Tiny (ARC-AAA)
EDC (SF or ARC)
Throw (E2e)
More throw (SF C3 w/P91)

GregR

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I aam a newbie to CPF and I didn't argue with the title since curiosity brought me to the site and was very surprised at the diversity and enthusiasm shown in the different rooms. I noticed that the members list their goodies in the signature line and thought well here is where it really shows that I am a newbie and took an accounting in the room I was in and there are 12 battery powered lights in my living room alone, one in the bathroom, two in the bedroom, two or three in the truck, three or four in my toolbox, and I considered myself to be a knife collector with just a curiosity towards flashlights and realized that very few "regular" people have over twenty flashlights in their house alone, unless they have the boy scout meetings in their house. I have 5 maglights of various sizes and was considering doing some "improvements" and figured there just had to be some website that might touch on the subject of more powerful IC bulbs for them. Well was I in for an eye opening when I found CPF, and the downward spiral continues on its trip into the darkness of yet another addicting toy, albeit having plenty of lights for this journey.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
smokinbasser-

You maybe a newbie, but your already a Flashaholic! You just need to upgrade your collection that's all. Welcome aboard.

GregR

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a late bloomer, so I'm just getting warmed up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been busy replacing all those Mini-Mags I gave away to family and friends in the 80s and 90s. It's hard for me to hold on to the lights I buy for myself. Friends buy them off me usually within a week or so. Either that or I trade them to the gal who dresses up in that French maid outfit.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BC

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smokin'
There are plenty of modifications that can be made to Mags so you are in luck. From simple drop-in LED replacements for bulbs (Everled) "sandwiches" to replace the minimag bulb for something much brighter to giant 6D Mags rolling three 5 watt Luxeons.
My long throw light cannon is a Mag, a 2D with a high grade R2H Luxeon being overdriven at around 2.5 to 3 watts. Those Mag reflectors can be modified to throw the LED light out very far...you know you are going to get into mods.
Welcome to the CPF, protect your wallet and enjoy the fun.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Smokinbasser, welcome to CPF./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I'm the same BC0311 over on KF's Slipjoint forum. I'm still a newbie myself, I just joined here in May. I think you'll really enjoy this great place.

BC

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
Anyone else feeling the same kind of Flashlight Contentment? Can it be sustained? If so, how long did it last?

[/ QUOTE ]

This basically happened to me late this summer -- until last Thursday when I ordered the Surefire L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But for a while, I was selling flashlights without much buying. The nice thing about premium flashlights is that they keep a good fraction of their value, and it's not hard to find someone who will buy.

Here is a list of flashlights that I've sold on eBay this year:
<ul type="square">
[*]Trek 7
[*]Brinkmann Rebel
[*]Photon Fusion
[*]Eternalight Ergo
[*]Arc LS1 hybrid and Arc LSL-P (now have LSH-P)
[/list]
Here is what I currently own:
<ul type="square">
[*]Streamlight 4AA 7LED Propolymer
[*]Brinkmann Legend w/ BadBoy 400
[*]Arc LSH-P w/ TSP-123A and TSP-2AA
[*]Arc AAA Premium
[*]Arc AAA standard
[*]Eternalight Elite X-Ray
[*]Streamlight Twin-Task 3C
[*]Lightwave 3000
[*]Dorcy 8 LED
[*]Dorcy 4 LED
[*]Coleman CCFT lantern
[*]Energizer Arc White
[*]Mini-Mag (from before I discovered CPF!)
[*]Vector Rescue Spot 500,000 CP
[*]Miscellaneous cheap incandescents
[*]Surefire L4 (soon to arrive)
[/list]
Of these, I could easily part with the ArcWhite, Mini-Mag, Dorcy 4 LED, and Arc AAA standard (I don't need two). My most-used lights are the SL 4AA, Arc AAA premium, and BadBoy-modified Brinkmann.