The perfect light

kb0rrg

Enlightened
If we could throw the laws of physics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, and electrical design out the window and we could built a flashlight any shape any size with any power level, what would you want?

Some say that the E1 is too small (easy to lose, marginal ergonomics). I have a PT Blast that is a little tricky to hold. I think that the minimag/E2/PT Rage is a nice size. Easy to carry, hold and use. Sometimes in a crisis situation a larger light is handy. It is harder to lose.

What about power. Would you want 50, 100, 200, 500 lum? dare I say 1000 lum??? I would guess infinite runtime would appeal to everyone.

Would you like an adjustable beam if it was flawless, or would you still like a fixed beam? Would you want a dimmer system? Maybe light power could be proportional to the force applied to the switch.

How small is too small, how bright is too bright?

Would you really want a 500 lum Photon VII ??
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Realistically I would like a light the size of the E2 with about a 200 lumen lamp and a runtime of maybe 12 minutes for short bursts. It also has to have a led for an extended runtime that is at least as bright as Brad's replacement LED. I beleive this light is possible, but not practical. Oh and waterproof to at least 30 meters.

Or the 500 lumen Photon 4 would be good
shocked.gif

Brock

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for me would be an ultra nano technology gen III or higher night vision device that could be implanted inside the eye, taking the ultra low energy to run from the electric pulses of the nerves of the eye, and to have 20+ magnification. activated by thought

Six Million Dollar Man kind of eye but on steroids...

Beat that for portable.

Boy ! what did I smoke ???!!!

Cheers !

AlexGT

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlexGT:

Six Million Dollar Man kind of eye but on steroids...

Beat that for portable.

Boy ! what did I smoke ???!!!

Cheers !

AlexGT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know maybe I'm missing something...I still want a flashlight I can hold in my hands and play with.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
smile.gif
A 3D Mag-Lite size with a built in LED, as well as an included *distance option*. This would allow me to use it like a laser pointer, preferred example -

"... now that area is the Sea of Tranquillity, and over there is where the Eagle set down on the first Moon landing ..."

of course, that would have to draw power from the 99th dimension. Oh, and it would have the ability to change colour output.

As a side effect, it would make me irresistibly attractive to women - no, that's asking for too much !

lite-lover, (probably smoking the same stuff)
smile.gif
cool.gif
frown.gif
shocked.gif
confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I heard that German Special Forces use contact lenses that enhance nightvision. It was demonstrated for camera lenses and scopes etc a couple years back.

My [not too unrealistic] perfect flashlight would be a waterproof, rechargeable, 'M3T' with atleast 500 Lumens for 3 hours. Maybe the body would increase by 1cm diameter to hold the battery pack. The Lanyard would have a built in miniture LED-light (smaller than PhotonII) which is powered from the flashlight along wires running in the core of each Lanyard cord. The LED would have the output of the E1.

Al

Spidey82

Enlightened
I not asking much,......just a FEW maxabeam buit it to a photon size,....... with flawless beam control....... err.... inifinity runtime.......produce no heat........watertight...........invincible case/led........Oh ya..........mind(do i have one??) control..

Am i asking too much?????????????
rolleyes.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like a light...hmm...how about an E-2 with a LED tail cap...this way you could set it on end and let it shine on the ceiling...but the perfect light in my dreams is one that you shine at the ladies and they instantly want to do nice things to you
smile.gif

Er...lets not tell my wife about this dream.
cool.gif
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thought... the ideal light un-restrained by the laws of physics. How about the "ideal" light with todays technology, more along the lines of Brocks realistic thoughts.

Having read the many posts on the E2, it seems to be the hot ticket.. but is it?
I have already seen that Brad has come up with a LED conversion, which provides more run time, less light.

And what about the new ARC? 5 hours run time, but is that enough when compared to the INFINITY 40+ hours.

It is obvious that usage dictates needs. I have seen where some say the E1 is too small to hold comfortably, and not quite enough light.

Do any of us realy need 60 lumens or more to check out the leak under the kitchen sink?

Let me ask a more simple question...
If you could only own 1 flashlght(heaven forbid), would it be one with more power, less run time, one with a longer runtime but less power, or something is the middle

confused.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
ONE FLASHLIGHT!!!...HAVE YOU BEEN TALKING TO MY WIFE???...um...you didn`t tell her about my dream light did you?

Ok, now that I have settled down, I guess it would have to be a 3-D cell Mag-Lite so I could easily change from bulb to bulb. Argh

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spidey82:
bulb to bulb???
wat for???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I could change between Holagen/Xenon Hyper Gas Drive and Sodium Ultra Vapor of course.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"Let me ask a more simple question...
If you could only own 1 flashlght(heaven forbid), would it be one with more power, less run time, one with a longer runtime but less power, or something is the middle"

for me it would be a Pelican SuperSabrelite
Runs on 3C's, tight focus, waterproof. and like 6 hrs of run time. i am still on my frst lamp assembly, and my 30th + set of batteries. i work with it for hours at a time

Brock

Flashaholic
Relaisticly one light, the E2 with 100 lumen lamp running 30 min. I will change the batteries more often, I need a bright light at work for lighting up thing far away in the dark.

Brock