sl-20x or sl20xp, how bright?

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I don't want this to be confused with the new model that streamlight is putting out with the combo of leds and a incandescent bulb. I'm talking about the original sl-20x/xp model that lots a LEOs currently use. I have done a search on this on the forum, but none of the threads have answered as to how bright it really is. Can anyone give me a comparison as to how bright it is compared to other lights? Is it brighter than a P90 HA? Thanks fellow flashaholics...

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I recently got a Streamlight SL-20X (10-watt) with extra lamp modules for the SL-20XP (8-watt) and SL-35X (20-watt). If I have time tonight, I'll measure the light output against a P60, P90, and TigerLight. Bug me if I don't!

The 20X is a long light, obviously designed to provide for defensive contingencies. The 35X seemed too long.

I like the fact that the light slips easily in to and out of its recharging cradle. The reflectors are virtually identical in construction to the TigerLight (potted bulb in spun aluminum), but the TigerLight reflector is clearly more polished.

The Streamlight reflectors all had disappointing beam artifacts, but in actual use this probably isn't an issue.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an sl20x for a while, I kept an sl35 lamp in it for brighter output and about 40 minutes runtime. I remember slight artifacts in the spill but the hotspot was quite acceptable. A very decent setup. It was just shy of a Tigerlight in forms of brightness and throw although the sl had a slightly broader beam which I preferred ove the TL.

I sold the sl cause it was a too large/heavy. But if you don't mind the size it's a real nice rechargable.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
hey mike, according to the streamlight web-site the run time on the stock 10-watt bulb should be about 1 1/2 hours of contiuous use. I know you might have concerns about the advertised run time vs. actual run time, but from what I have been reading on the forum streamlight advertised run times have consistenly been dead on with actual run times. I hope this helps, even though I don't own a sl-20x or xp. Just my two cents.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
Hey Otokoyama, thanks so much for the review. That was awesome. This will definately help me make my decision. Thanks again.