IMR-M3t current draw ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, quick question about the safety of this setup.

Running an IMR-M3T bulb with 2x AW18650 2600mah cells.

Going by the data on Lumensfactory's site, the bulb will run 25 mins on 1600mah IMR 18650s, so using 20mins as a easier number to calculate I get a current draw of around 4.8A or 1.8C for the 2600mah cells.

Or just stuffing the bulb in a turbohead and driving it with 2x AW 2600mah 18650s and measuring the current at the tail cap I get a 3.2A at turn On and settling at 2.75A after about a second as the bulb warms up.
The bulb brightens slightly if I just short the rear cell to the body, so I assume my Multimeter is adding some resistance and affecting my results.

My question is, can I safely run the IMR bulb on 2x normal AW 18650 cells ?
And what is the maximum current I can safely pull from the cells before I start to either damage them, or risk having them vent with flame (something I don't want)

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi echo:

Its ok to use the AW2600s&2900s with the IMR-M3T, I would hesitate on the AW2200s, because I've destroyed a set on the IMR-M3T myself. The AW2200s I had and read about are more like AW1800s or AW2000s. My "red'n'black" Trustfire 2400s outperforms the AW2200s from my experience. Basically 2C current draw is the most you'll wanna put Li-On cells through. The IMR-M3T does not draw 4.8A, more like 2.8-3.2A depending on the condition and type of cells being used.

here are some useful threads:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ndescent-guide-compatability-comparison-chart

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?194040-Guidelines-for-using-a-high-power-incan

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ry-IMR-bulb-configuration-options-guide-chart

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fusionM8
I thought 2C was the highest I wanted to draw from normal lions, glad to have it confirmed, and glad the IMR cell is safe on my cells, I will be running it in my M6 with a 2x18650 carrier when it arrives

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-Co cells are 2c safe, Li-Mn cells are 8c safe! Li-Mn cells also voltage sags less under load than Li-Co, giving a flatter discharge curve, thus giving you more "juice" but for a shorter runtime.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the IMR cells (2 for that bulb). I've seen similar bulbs run brighter with IMR batteries. They will be perfectly safe with that IMR bulb.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is, can I safely run the IMR bulb on 2x normal AW 18650 cells ?
In theory, yes. It's safe for cells but you won't get maximum performance from bulb because of excessive voltage drop.
And what is the maximum current I can safely pull from the cells before I start to either damage them, or risk having them vent with flame (something I don't want)
You can safely pull 5200mA from protected 2600mAh cell (2C) if battery is capable of that spike.
By my experience, brand new AW protectes 18650 cells are capable of about 3.6A with single click.
If you need longer run time with mentioned bulb, use higher capacity IMRs.

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Good to hear. Im new to the incan game (this is my first high output incan) and I have one of thes IMR M3Ts on the way and I was planning on running it on IMR 18350s.. Cool to know that I can run it on AW 18650s for a bit of extended run time.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running this bulb in my M6 (with 18650) for a week now, and it still surprises me.
The HO-M3T throws a nice white beam a long way, the IMR throws a longer, fatter, whiter beam
Shining it up into the sky Is just cool.
The other night I was waiting outside a police station, to take a photo.
The top of the station would have been 100m away, and in a fairly well lit environment
The M6/IMRM3T combo lit it up very well, well enough to determine if someone Wa up there, and if they were male or female