Fenix LD20 R4 thread not smooth? help!

yliu

Enlightened
I just recieved my LD20 R4 today.

I've noticed when I screw the head, the threads were not smooth. I put some lubricant on it, still not smooth.

It feels like there is dirt or something on it, but I washed it with clean water, lubricated it again, but it's till not smooth.

Have you guys experienced the same with your flashlights? How do I make them smooth?

aau007

Enlightened
Did you try using a sharp toothpick and run it thru the threadings on the tailcap and body? If there are dirt trapped in there, lubing or oiling don't remove the dirt and you will keep hearing the dirt grinding inside the threads.

yliu

Enlightened
I cleaned it with WD-40, then ran a toothpick through. Now, its smoother, although still not as smooth as my TK20 threads.

yliu

Enlightened
After cleaning it with WD40 3 times, and running a toothpick through twice. It's perfectly smooth now!

Thanks guys for the help!

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
Since WD40 is thin and solvent you should re-lube the O rings to replace what it took off. This will help to protect the O ring from shredding and waterproof the light.

aau007

Enlightened
What did you think you picked out from the threads? I believe they must be fine metal grinds left over when they threaded the tube or tail cap.

yliu

Enlightened
What did you think you picked out from the threads? I believe they must be fine metal grinds left over when they threaded the tube or tail cap.

It could be the metal grinds, but I didn't see anything since all of the stuff came out with WD-40.

I was worried that the threads are bad, but luckily it's fixed now.

Latest posts