Who can make a QTC pill for my Eiger?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some QTC material I've been experimenting with. It's harder than you think to work with. You really have to perfect the thickness for you application or else the resistance drops too quickly and you're ramping from full to almost zero resistance in an eighth of a rotation of your light. That requires way too much dexterity when you're trying to be precise with selecting your output.

Consequently, I think one would need to design elements of their light specifically for use of the QTC material. Retrofitting an existing light with the material (which is primarily what I have been experimenting with) is no easy task. Maybe try to sell your Eiger in the marketplace and just order a QTC enabled Eiger when Peak gets around to selling them.

EDIT I just stumbled upon another thread where you said your Eiger was the one with the momentary switch. I don'y know if Peak will be making the momentary lights with the QTC pill. I didn't even know they made any with the momentary switch besides the titanium model.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Eiger did you buy?

Were you aware that Peak is putting QTC in all there future pocket lights? Eigers are in manufacturing stage now, you should be able to buy the body with QTC installed soon.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is QTC? I have an Eiger level 1 being built right now.....hopefully being shipped tomorrow. I did not see any options for this QTC or any multiple level models available. Thanks!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have some QTC material I've been experimenting with. It's harder than you think to work with. You really have to perfect the thickness for you application or else the resistance drops too quickly and you're ramping from full to almost zero resistance in an eighth of a rotation of your light. That requires way too much dexterity when you're trying to be precise with selecting your output.

Consequently, I think one would need to design elements of their light specifically for use of the QTC material. Retrofitting an existing light with the material (which is primarily what I have been experimenting with) is no easy task. Maybe try to sell your Eiger in the marketplace and just order a QTC enabled Eiger when Peak gets around to selling them.

EDIT I just stumbled upon another thread where you said your Eiger was the one with the momentary switch. I don'y know if Peak will be making the momentary lights with the QTC pill. I didn't even know they made any with the momentary switch besides the titanium model.

I was curious about playing with the QTC material too but now im kinda hesitant

I do have a couple of questions though,
#1 where can I get some of this QTC material.
#2 You mentioned the thickness can be a problem. Is the material hard to cut down the thickness? I am assuming it is somewhat rubber like... Would I be able to take a square of this material and shave orr a layer or perhaps use some sandpaper to make it thinner?

Thanks

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get QTCs from the Marketplace.

They start off as a thin rubber sheet that is cut into squares. They measure about 4mm X 4mm X 0.5mm. I don't think that he means that the thickness needs to be trimmed or anything. I think he's implying that you need fine threads to have finer control over the ramping. Someone with access to a lathe or finer thread taps and dies can probably make something that would work well with QTCs. Also, whatever you do you need to ensure that you don't put any kind of load on the QTC other than compression loads as anything other than compression loads will cause them to disintegrate. Also, the design needs to be such that the QTC can be removed and replaced as they do wear out from use, about 1000 cycles.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
You can get QTCs from the Marketplace.

They start off as a thin rubber sheet that is cut into squares. They measure about 4mm X 4mm X 0.5mm. I don't think that he means that the thickness needs to be trimmed or anything. I think he's implying that you need fine threads to have finer control over the ramping. Someone with access to a lathe or finer thread taps and dies can probably make something that would work well with QTCs. Also, whatever you do you need to ensure that you don't put any kind of load on the QTC other than compression loads as anything other than compression loads will cause them to disintegrate. Also, the design needs to be such that the QTC can be removed and replaced as they do wear out from use, about 1000 cycles.

SO you mean that you dont want the QTC pill to suffer from rotational forces for example? Only a force pressing straight down?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
This YouTube video demonstrates how to use an Eiger's momentary switch and QTC together.
Now that the QTC will be provided as a standard feature, all Peak lights will be offered only in the highest output option, Level 8.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
^thanks for the tip Paul. So if you want a single mode in a lower level, you better get it & now!