Flashlights: Conservative or Liberal?

JOshooter

Enlightened
I need to come up with an advertisement for either the conservatives or liberals and wanted to do it on flashlights. The problem is, I do not exactly know if they fall under the Conservative's views or the Liberal's views and why.

For a quote I was thinking of, "Do you want to be left in the dark?"

Or if I could find the picture of the "Swiss Army Gun" (the assult rifle with the keychain, hood ornament, torch, etc., with the quote "Do you want to be unprepared?" If any one knows of the post I'm talking about or what category flashlights fall under and why, please help me out in "enlightening" my class.

Darell

Flashaholic
If it is worth anything, the past polls and the general tone here seem to point to high-end flashlights attracting more conservatives than liberals.

Nothing scientific here - that's just how it seems.

Greta

Flashaholic
I could train wreck this thread right here and now and save us all the heartache... but I won't. So I'd like to ask that everyone else use the same restraint as I am right now... Thanks in advance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
I could train wreck this thread right here and now and save us all the heartache... but I won't. So I'd like to ask that everyone else use the same restraint as I am right now... Thanks in advance... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear I will not say a word. *Runs out of thread* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
(Thanks Sash for not crashing it immediately...and thanks to hawk too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

- and no, this is not an implication that conservatives are set in their ways or don't think "outside the box" or that liberals aren't set in their ways and do think "outside the box" - puhhhleease - he just wants some creative thoughts here! Thanks!! -

Perhaps a little explanation...my sons (brite one & chosen1 here on the CPF) are in a sort of special "advanced placement" class using a "seminar" concept of teaching. Perhaps some of you are familiar with this concept? They can be in a class with anyone from a freshman on up to a senior. I'm not sure I understand all of it, but this dad just hopes they become rocket scientists or engineers of some sort...enough of that...on to the explanation...

brite one's looking for "examples" of an item to create an advertisement that has examples of "conservative/liberal" thinking) and perhaps didn't communicate it well enough.

Here's what I told him when he suggested flashlights (well, you don't really want to know what my initial reaction of "dumbfoundedness" was like - wish I had a camera for that facial (expression /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I suggested that the old cylindrical tube (battery housing) with the old incandesent bulb and the way it hadn't really changed in decades was an example of a conservative design (it works, why change it - hmmmm=M@g?).

I then suggested how folks never thought that the LED would give off enough light for a handtorch and through "liberal" thinking, it develeoped into what it is today (including pulse width modulation, DC-DC step up converters, current/voltage regulation etc...) to render extended runtimes, energy conservation, durability, etc.."State of the Art" for us today that continues to develop and overtake the lighting industry.

What do you think? Was it a good explanation? At first I was like "WHATTTTTT?", and then with a little "creative thought" this is what I came up with(and that's exactly what they are encouraging these kids to do in this "seminar" program - the ole' "think outside of the box" thing...maybe it's not a bad idea?).

This was in no way shape or form meant to be a "political" thread...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Gee, I'm one of those Libertarian bents-that-(usually)votes-conservative. I do flashlights for a hobby. What politics has to do with that escapes me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Pops, I gotta say; I understood brite one's post very clearly. Yours...was enjoyable and interesting but I'm still working on it.

brite one -

What an outstanding thread topic...on many levels.

Here is my best for now: Flashlights are one of the few objects I've encountered that attract a non-partisan convention. Every gradient of liberalism and conservatism can be found at CPF. One of the things that we all seem to agree on is that excellent lights are a necessity. Many of us agree that they can be useful as tools and even protection devices. Many of us agree that they are a very fine hobby. Many of us agree that they can be more.

The subject of flashlights at CPF brings together intelligent people that have very different views on government and other issues in some basic mutual agreements.

"I think you are way out there on your politics but at least I know you value a good flashlight, so you must have some redeeming qualities."

I'm not sure I can help you with an ad slogan that meets your criteria but I will think about it. I do like flashlights that conserve available power and yield liberal light.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine SureFires have a more conservative market because of the gun connection, but then the one person I've actually met who bought one is about as left as you can get while still accepting capitalism.

Me, I like to think of myself as a Lambertiatarian. I don't like LD luxeons.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, Radellaf!

Flashlights and headlamps are non-political objects, though politicians could muck things up in a real big hurry, if they thought it was in their political interests to do so.

How about "With both parties in the US Congress fighting over improving the Power Transmission and Generating system, it would be wise to get a good LED flashlight for every member of your family." That would be distinctly independent, while slamming both Liberal and Conservative politicians, Equally.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
"With both parties in the US Congress fighting over improving the Power Transmission and Generating system, it would be wise to get a good LED flashlight for every member of your family."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that idea, although I'm not sure if my teacher will allow it. I'll have to ask. My motive was not to "bait" anyone, I was just looking for a flashlight to represent each party's views.

Based on a paper we read, in general liberals are asking constantly, "How can I improve this", and Conservatives are content with things just the way they are. Maybe I could use 2 pictures of a M@glite, one un-moded the other with a TriLight. Same exterior appearence, different "guts" if you will.