The making of a 10.000 lm dive light. TRITON LongWang.龙王

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello friends,

I just needed to make a really special light for video shooting on cavediving with my friends. Well, I took the brightest LED on the market, a selected BIN 100 Watt COB 5500ºK and designed arround a -200 m water resistant alloy housing, to host batteries (12*18650 LIION pack) and a two level driver.

It is a pleasure to use and transport such a compact light, more when compared with former lights with BIG canisters, ballasts, weak bulbs... The light does what is supposed to do, I mean, it is not a thrower, but a flood monster puting out 10000 lm.

In the future I will research some dedicated aspherics to get at least a 30º beam.

The name was choosen because of a dragon king living in the seas of China, according to mythology Why chinese name? Because the light was designed in Spain (TRITON is the cavediving spaniard team I belong to), but made entirely in China, on a very serious factory with top levels of quality and a great team of Q engineers. At this point I'm not going to hide the origin of things, as many other do.

dscn0799v.jpg

dscn0795p.jpg

dscn0801v.jpg

Regards,

Javier

PD: Of course more pics will follow...as well as beamshots!

Klem

Enlightened
10K lumens is a very bright torch in anyone's language. Excellent work Javier!

Looking at your pictures and the three Tritons on the other thread it is all starting to look commercial. Are you starting up as a business to sell these?

100W using 12*18650's, just out of interest how long glow time are you getting? (1 hour?). What configuration is your battery and what driver/s are you using?

30 degree beam is still pretty wide, especially for an aspheric. I think you could go narrower than that if throw is what you want. What beam spread do you think you are currently getting with the reflector?

Interesting name...If you do go commercial you might want to have a think about it...It has a very different connotation to Westerners!:naughty:

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
Wow, my SSC P7 Barbolight already seemed bright underwater. This thing must be insane. Guessing it is only run continuously underwater, with the water helping to cool it? Might fry itself on dry land :p Amazing light though

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . 30 degree beam is still pretty wide, especially for an aspheric. I think you could go narrower than that if throw is what you want. . . . :

Have you seen the size of the emitting surface for a 100watt LED ? It's 25 x 25 mm ! The torch is going to get pretty big !

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
10K lumens is a very bright torch in anyone's language. Excellent work Javier!

Looking at your pictures and the three Tritons on the other thread it is all starting to look commercial. Are you starting up as a business to sell these?

100W using 12*18650's, just out of interest how long glow time are you getting? (1 hour?). What configuration is your battery and what driver/s are you using?

30 degree beam is still pretty wide, especially for an aspheric. I think you could go narrower than that if throw is what you want. What beam spread do you think you are currently getting with the reflector?

Interesting name...If you do go commercial you might want to have a think about it...It has a very different connotation to Westerners!:naughty:

Thank you.

I'm getting one hour, on high mode, and more than two on low. The driver is not commercialy available, as it has been custom designed for this light. Is based on a Linear Technologies IC. The batteries are all in series, and the battery pack is based on realiable and tested electric bikes.

As is being pointed below, is complicated to get a narrower angle with that big emiiting area. To get something similar with a narrow beam the option was 9*XML.

Regarding the lights... I know what we, Westerners, like to say and think about chinese products, but we should be more realistics. Of course 90% of the crap is manufactured in Asia, but 90% of the best products we are using are too. 90% of our goods are being made in Asia. China is a country which makes nuclear submarines, Iphones... So, is my choice to admit that they are doing a great job. This light has been everything but cheap, my choice was because of manufacturing and quality. The same thing would have been more expensive and it would have take ages to develope in many other places.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, my SSC P7 Barbolight already seemed bright underwater. This thing must be insane. Guessing it is only run continuously underwater, with the water helping to cool it? Might fry itself on dry land :p Amazing light though

Out of the water you can get two minutes on high mode. More than 10 minutes on low.

CKOD

Enlightened
Thank you.

I'm getting one hour, on high mode, and more than two on low. The driver is not commercialy available, as it has been custom designed for this light. Is based on a Linear Technologies IC. The batteries are all in series, and the battery pack is based on realiable and tested electric bikes.

As is being pointed below, is complicated to get a narrower angle with that big emiiting area. To get something similar with a narrow beam the option was 9*XML.

Regarding the lights... I know what we, Westerners, like to say and think about chinese products, but we should be more realistics. Of course 90% of the crap is manufactured in Asia, but 90% of the best products we are using are too. 90% of our goods are being made in Asia. China is a country which makes nuclear submarines, Iphones... So, is my choice to admit that they are doing a great job. This light has been everything but cheap, my choice was because of manufacturing and quality. The same thing would have been more expensive and it would have take ages to develope in many other places.

From what Ive seen and heard, good quality products can be had, but you get what you pay for. You cant expect a $10 PantsonFire light to be the same quality as a $300 custom light from some of the manufacturers here, but that should be common sense. You can get whatever quality you want to pay for, though at times you have to keep up on your manufacturer after the initial test lot, to ensure the quality is maintained.

But enough drifting off topic, on the 12S pack, are you using balancing circuitry, or just individual monitoring? Monitoring would be good enough for a safety standpoint, but balancing, would extend service life of the pack, and active balancing (moving charge rather then just burning off excess as the pack charges) can extend runtime if a single cell starts to underperform, by moving charge to it during operation to keep its voltage from dropping too low and sending the pack into protection, keeping all the cells relatively equal as they approach whatever cutoff point you want to call empty.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what Ive seen and heard, good quality products can be had, but you get what you pay for. You cant expect a $10 PantsonFire light to be the same quality as a $300 custom light from some of the manufacturers here, but that should be common sense. You can get whatever quality you want to pay for, though at times you have to keep up on your manufacturer after the initial test lot, to ensure the quality is maintained.

But enough drifting off topic, on the 12S pack, are you using balancing circuitry, or just individual monitoring? Monitoring would be good enough for a safety standpoint, but balancing, would extend service life of the pack, and active balancing (moving charge rather then just burning off excess as the pack charges) can extend runtime if a single cell starts to underperform, by moving charge to it during operation to keep its voltage from dropping too low and sending the pack into protection, keeping all the cells relatively equal as they approach whatever cutoff point you want to call empty.

Great post. You are right, you can find people who wants and likes to do quality things everywhere, but is never cheap. Main advantage when "cooking" a project you just need to visit Huaquiangbei in the morning and you have 10.000 shops with all the electronics you can imagine to get all you need.

Well, great point on the battery pack, yes, they are balanced.

Regards.

Javier

(Now I'm going to take more pics)

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poor comparison, but just an apetizer to start having an idea about what you can do with 10000 lm. Control pic, Barbolight U-15 P7, Triton Longwang 100% and Triton Longwang 50%.

It does not make any justice, because 90% of the light produced by the U-15 is on target, versus 55% or so for Longwang. Yes, and the roof is ugly.

Javier

lucca brassi

Enlightened
at that power I'll use that cooling concept

in real life cooling ribs at yours lamp a to far and that's why unnecessary , but OK on land.

Tray to find thermal camera . Point is to get cold close to emiter - thats mean direct below it.
diving_lamp_cooling_concept.png

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for you input, Lucca.

In fact we are using already an "H" shapped head, take a look at the first pic on the thread, you can notice it. Yes, we are behind that camera.

Regards,

Javier