Energizer XM-L mod - a mod you never seen before!

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
Hi guys

again some really special mod. :D This time: 10-15 Years old Energizer flashlight

Its was a really good flashlight. Some long time ago when I bought it it was a really bright light and a good thrower. Also it wasnt really expensive. It had some super small, super hot, and super bright light bulb. I never seen anything like that before.

Now its time to XM-L it! :grin2:

Maybe I should answer some questions first...
Is that a plastic head?
Yes.
Is the XM-L running at 2.8A?
Yes.
Does it get super hot?
No.

Parts:
Energizer 8 AA flashlight
Cree XM-L T6 LED Emitter with 14mm Base
3-Mode Regulated Circuit Board 2.8A

Marquardt Rocker Switch 250 V/AC 10 (4) A

Now some pictures :popcorn:

Shiningbeam driver soldered to a copper ring.

The finished heatsink with led and driver.

All parts ready to put together.

Installing the 2 input 1 output switch. Actually it is a switch with 2 in and 2 out but I soldered the 2 outs together. The original switch was a complete fail construction. All holes for the switch and the "half-moon bars" are hand filed.

Heatsink in place.

The finished light! :naughty:

Its still a good thrower although I shortend the reflector on the lathe a few mm. Sadly the reflector isnt that reflective anymore. Its a plastic reflector with chrome paint on it. Thats the reason why I fear to polish it and completely destroy it. Also I must look for a glass lens because that plastic has lots of scratches from the adventures where it was lighting my way. :nana:

Now I need an idea how to paint it! I should not be black because all other flashlights are black. ...is there a conspiracy going on? :duck:

Energizer XM-L mod *high* (to the human eye much tighter hotspot)(anyone wanna see mid or low?^^)

25 Years old Philips Halogen XM-L mod

Wolf-Eyes Krait *high* defocused and focused

Fenix LD01 *high*

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Nice mod, but the fact that the head isnt getting hot isn't really a good thing..... that means that all the generated heat stays inside and will heat up the electronics and diode like crazy.

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
Thanks.

No no you understood that wrong. :D The heatsink and the body of the flashlight have about the same temperature. But both stay at a good temperature to touch. At first I was a bit sceptical if the heat can be transfered from the heatsink to the body but it works really well.

Somehow I took the beamshot yesterday but forgot to upload...:shakehead

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
I just did a runtime test. :devil: I ran it with only 1 set of black eneloops (4xAA) and got about 50 minutes runtime. Then the low battery warning of the driver showed that it needs some fresh cells.

When I put the eneloops in my chrager it discharged about 15-50 mAh from the cells to 0.9V. So the low battery warning works PERFECT with this combination.:party:

But 5 minutes before the warning showed that the cells are empty I can feel the temperature of the body dropping. I didnt used my luxmeter but to the eye was no difference in brightness until the last 3 minutes.

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
Hmmmmmm...:confused:

Yesterday I used the medium output and I noticed that the driver makes a high frequent noise. Its only on low and med. I can only hear it when its really quiet.

Is that normal for the shiningbeam driver or is something wrong with it?