L1 Hybrid. L1 gurus need your help

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I have posted this in Carrot's incan tribute thread. His challenge got me playing with my old E2E and E1E. I then thought if it was possible to have a two stage incan.

I put my E1E head on my L1 body. I used both my MN01 and MN02 bulbs. The MN01 had a moment of dual stages but only like once or twice then it stopped doing it.

Any thoughts as to what is happening running a MN01 or MN02 on a stock L1 body? As I dont know much about the technical aspects of the light, I just legoed something together to see if it would work.

el1on.jpg

While technically this is a Incan light. The information is about the body and that is designed for a LED.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to get a two stage incan to work rather well, but I can't rember if I was using an L1 or an L2/A2L Tail-cap...may have to research it again when I get home...

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to get a two stage incan to work rather well, but I can't rember if I was using an L1 or an L2/A2L Tail-cap...may have to research it again when I get home...

Yes. the L1 is all stock. No modification. Same with the e-head and bulbs, all stock surefire parts.

I could be wrong but isnt the L1 and A2/L2 tailcap the same? My L1 and A2 tailcap are interchangeable.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they have different resistors in them??? I'll do some tests when I get home. Also keep in mind, that running an Incan below normal voltage is a quick way to run the life down on the bulb.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know that, about the low voltage. Good to know. i have since put the E1E back together and L1-Rd back together. Total length is the same as my E2E. So it is not as if im gaining anything special by using the L1 body.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 and A2 both use 10 ohm resistors. I think all the other interchangeable tailcaps are 10 ohm too, but don't have all of them to try. I tried an E1 Head on my L1 bodies a couple of years ago with no success on low. The L1 will treat the incan like an LED (diode with a ramp up then level off curve of current v. volts) It will keep boost the voltage since it expects an LED that needs 3.3-3.8 or so volts until it is accepting the Amps it wants to run. The 10 ohm resistor drops the input V to drop the driver out of regulation. If you really want to make an incan work, put in a 5 ohm or lower resistor in the tailcap. But then the resistor will have to have a lot higher wattage rating.