New Streamlight Survivor LED

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
As a firefighter and flashaholic I have always used a Streamlight Survivor LED. The second gen was marked C4 (controlled collapse chip connection) but the LED was actually a luxeon. While they have not announced a new model, they are now produceing these with a really small (think bic pen refill tube) sized LED with no markings. The package now says 140 lumens (60 for first gen, 100 for second gen) but I seriously feel it is underated. This thing is darn bright and really hurts if your partner turns and blinds you. It also has better run time and a new chip with a new "moonlight" setting never before seen on a survivor (along with the standard high, low, and strobe).

My question: what is this new LED? It is super small and it has a substantial heatsink behind it. Ill get a picture next time im at the house. Anyone else have one?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight uses the Cree XR-E quite heavily, so it's most likely that. If the LED is really super small, it's probably a XP-E. You can find reference pictures in the thread linked in the post above.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip on this light..I have bought 5+ of the survivor leds through the years..starting with the 1st gen. I called Greg at Brightguy and have a new gen on the way..will post comments when I get it. I should still have a gen 1 and 2 to compare it too

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that they are VERY bright. The reflector does a great job. An electrician had one sitting on a cart so I gave it a try in full daylight. It was amazed at how powerful the beam was. It seemed way brighter than the specs list. It seemed like several hundred lumens.

It had two levels of output - not sure if it was the very newest. It was surprisingly bright.

Last edited:

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip on this light..I have bought 5+ of the survivor leds through the years..starting with the 1st gen. I called Greg at Brightguy and have a new gen on the way..will post comments when I get it. I should still have a gen 1 and 2 to compare it too

You will be impressed with the new one. NOTE: DO NOT try and put the new gen reflector onto any other gen flashlight. The new reflector has a magnifying lens on the bottom hole and the old LEDs which are MUCH larger will crack the magnifying lens. Also the "moonlight" mode is not listed in the manual, atleast not on mine. You access this by holding the button in for about 8 second. You will stay in strobe mode for about 5 seconds before it switches. Also please let me know if your package states 140 lumens. Mine came in the old package stating 100 lumens but the light was the new led and chip. Also note the simplified led board and large heatsink. Hope you enjoy it!

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
Gen 1 @ 60 lumens
Note: Round base and solder tabs on opposite sides. FYI there was an LED used prior to this one. I believe it was a 3w Luxeon but SL changed to this one with the same rateings. Don't know if there was a quality issue or just a new cheaper design with the same specs. This module is NOT in a survivor.

V010Small-2.jpg

Gen 2 @ 100 lumens
Note: Lookes similar but has a hexagon shaped base. I believe this is a Luxeon K2. Sorry for the poor picture. Solder tabs on SAME side. FYI the Gen 2 was the first model labeled "C4". Gen 2 on left - Gen 1 on right. These modules are NOT in a survivor.

newoldle8.jpg

Gen 3 @ 140 lumens with better runtime
Note: Has no plastic housing and no solder joints. It is built into the PC board. Very small package and dome. Very simple board with no visible circuitry.

More pics to come

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine today..had the new packaging, (not unlike streamlight to use old packaging though and just put a little note inside..letting you know you have the updated version. Overall not a bad light...moonlight is very dim..so should give long batt life...would be nice if they would FINALLY make it so you can use lithiums in it. I still like the Fenix TK 50 better...brighter..and wider spill, but the new survivor led is not bad..better than prev. models.....now If I bought 4 more...I might get one where the led is perfectly centered...one out of 5 lights is Streamlight's average these days. Still think Im happy with purchase though.

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
Can you post a picture of the new led and heatsink? I have a bunch of survivors and only one isn't perfectly centered and one has a bizare artifact. A friend of mine uses Energizer lithiums. Streamlight says not to but I don't know of that is because it may cause damage or because they don't meet OSHA and NFPA standard for taking that flashlight into a burning building or hazardous area. Remember they are firefighter flashlights after all. Oh and moonlight mode lasts for 20 days on fresh batts. Not bad as a camping nightlight for the little ones.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure...here is a pic...light on its side..but no tripod for phone camera..so thought would be the steadiest....lit up with streamlight knucklehead..lol

5753727275_27288705c6_z.jpg

I am glad I bought the light... still good throw..and over 50% brighter..than gen 2 over 200% brighter than gen 1

TechNickAll

Newly Enlightened
What amazes me is that the previous gens had lots of circuitry yet this appears to be direct drive and runs very steady and much brighter and longer without dimming. I really enjoy this light. I also never realized how small the XP-E is.