strange readings - amps drawn by led lenser t7

ledlensert7

Newly Enlightened
recently i was taking the readings that my torch was drawing, onlt to get some unexpected results - 2amps on boost:sweat: 1.5 on high and .2 on low! so am i wrong in thinking the suposed led max is 1.4amps (xpe is what i believe it to be?) and is this a realistic reading?:ironic:

btw - just checked my multimeter and it's readings are completely different at differnet parts of the light - where should i be measuring and how (i have a gcse in phisics and thats about it!)

Last edited:

ledlensert7

Newly Enlightened
ok now - i have tried it with another multimeter and it is giving me readings within 5-10% of the other one here are the comparisons

between connectors (in series with torch) - as i think is should be done (ammeters in series- voltmeters in parralel)
multiA/multiB - boost .69A/.70A
high .54A/.53A
low .08A/.08A
across led (parralel)- as told to by teacher
multiA/multiB - boost 2.21A/2.01A
high 1.51A/1.42A
low .52A/.48A

so any electronics experts - is the teacher's method right or is my method right? (or neither :shakehead)

HKJ

Flashaholic
If the T7 works the same way as the M14, then you can probably not get accurate readings with a normal cheap DMM.
You can NOT measure current with the meter parallel with the led, but you have a high risk of damaging the driver. The meter must be in serial.
But putting a meter in serial will probably change the current, in my DMM guide i recommend using the 10A range to keeps this change as low as possible.

ledlensert7

Newly Enlightened
ok after reading your guide (excelent and now favorited:naughty:) i have now confirmed that the lower set of readings are more acurate, and but isn't .7A quite low for a XR-E led which in therory for max lumens should be at 1A - so is the lenser quote of 200lm not true or am i missing something? (other than 300ma:()

HKJ

Flashaholic
ok after reading your guide (excelent and now favorited:naughty:) i have now confirmed that the lower set of readings are more acurate, and but isn't .7A quite low for a XR-E led which in therory for max lumens should be at 1A - so is the lenser quote of 200lm not true or am i missing something? (other than 300ma:()

The current drawn from the battery is not necessary the same current that passes through the led, any driver with an inductor can reduce or increase the current.
There is also a good probability that the meter shows a wrong value, in my guide you can see I measured the tailcap current with two different meters and get two different values. The Fluke shows the correct value, the cheap meter just shows "something".