Convince me to buy a Malkoff MD2/3

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, I just got a nice chunk of cash and I have all the lights I need/want and I'm looking really hard at the Malkoff lights for my next but I'm torn between two choices so I have a question.

How low is the low on the High/low ring that can be used with the Mlakoff MD2? I am considering either the MD3 with high/low ring and a Malkoff M91W, for ultimate power yet a lower mode for practical around the house/car. My other option is the MD2 with Malkoff M61W, also with high/low ring.

So what percentage of full power does the low mode of the MD2 ring provide?

Also what are the pros and cons of an MD3/M91W vs MD2/M61W with both having a high/low power ring? I can only buy so I would like your opinions, thanks.

dss_777

Enlightened
One thing I can speak to is that the MD2 format is quite practical for a day-to-day light. The MD3 body is just enough bigger that it is more cumbersome in use, especially with the tailcap switch. It's a little too long for that, IMO. This may not be an issue for you.

If you can find a tailstanding shroud with clip, that would also be an excellent addition to the MD2 in terms of practical carry and use. Carries nicely in the pocket with bezel down that way.

Etiher way, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

carrot

Flashaholic
Don't buy an MD2 equipped with M61. It's only one of the best deals in flashlights today with the best quality beam around and great ergonomics and tougher than a rock. The machining is pretty nice too.

woodentsick

Enlightened
... If you can find a tailstanding shroud with clip, that would also be an excellent addition to the MD2 in terms of practical carry and use. Carries nicely in the pocket with bezel down that way...

I don't know about a clip, but the MD2 was recently updated to a McClicky switch which can tailstand without any added accessory :)

To the OP;

I recently ordered an MD2 w/Hi-Lo ring and Malkoff M61w so I've been doing some research...it seems that the low is approximately 25-30 lumens. When I receive mine I will post an update!

Woodentsick

Knuckles

Newly Enlightened
Well then, dss_777 gives a really convincing argument!

Any idea what kind of output I'm looking at on low using the M91 in the MD3? Low of 20-30 lumens with the M61W sounds great, I'm just curious how many lumens the low will be on the M91. I agree that the MD3 will be more cumbersome and for that reason I want it to be a powerhouse and it would be the first 9-volt light I buy so I think the M91 would be perfect for it. I'm also considering the MD2 on the basis that it fits in my existing SureFire 6P pouches. Also, how well will the tailshroud with clip work on the new MD2 seeing how it already has the shroud? I don't care if it tailstands or not but I REALLY want the bezel-down clip but I don't know how weird it will look or feel to have 2 shrouds on there.

Thanks for the help.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new standard shroud is a delrin piece that is a threaded extension where there used to be machined aluminum. My understanding is that the tail clip shroud slides over it just like the old style MD2 bodies so it is not weird in any way.

Also all of the drop-in have about the same low mode as the practical difference between 20-30 lumens is not that noticeable in actual use.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello Knuckles,

Out of the two possibilities you mentioned, I'd pick the MD2 + M61W. Great combination for day-to-day use. Nice size, nice tint, 2xCR123 or 1x18650, simple hi/low,... It also tailstands perfectly and the clip allows you to use it hands free.

Unless you already have some MD3 parts or specifically want a P60-style drop-in, I'd skip the M91 and immediately go for the MD3 Wildcat if it's a 'powerhouse' you want. An MD3 Wildcat doesn't cost that much more compared to an MD3 / M91 / hi-low ring combination. The Wildcat does however provide even more power.

Nachtwacht.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked up a camo MD2 - okay wanted an MD2 and really liked the camo - had to wait for one to come up on the marketplace. Great with the hi/lo ring, really nice size, quite a bit smaller than a 6P. I held off getting one for quite a while and I have to say it is really nice. Fits better in my back pocket than a 6P.

Right now I have an 18650 in in and it's got a M30W. I happened upon Craig's (cpf user name Cssish or something close to that) illumination supply listing in Dealers Corner in the market place and he's offering a M61HCRI - a high CRI M61 that he sells excessively from Malkoff - I ordered one right away. Only relationship with Craig is he's on my gmail list.

Glock27

Enlightened
How many lumens do you need? For longer runtime you should consider M61WL or M61WLL. With the High/Low ring, you could get some crazy run time.
The M61HCRI would be very interesting!

G27

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the MD2/M61w. MD3 is a bit large and you can't run an 18650. I use a single 18650 with my MD2/M61w - when using this combo the low mode is about 9-10 lumens. low is brighter when you use two cr123a cells - about 20 lumens.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
4-1/3 years later post....
Search engine here is GREAT!!!

The MD2's come bored out ready for the 18650. And Malkoff sells some dandy cells n chargers.
About $50 for 2 protected (Malkoff approved) cells and a charger for 2.

His neutral series of drop in's are pretty nice too.
I feel like they pierce the darkness a liitle better without that 'eye-popping' whiteness.

Last edited: